• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:07:14 PM

Bobs track builder pro or evo?

Started by digitalx, November 30, 2016, 09:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

digitalx

I was just looking up about track making, As expensive as BTB seems I'm interesed. But do I need Pro or Evo? I mainly play GTR2 and Rfactor series as well.

Seeing as I play games that both say different versions, I am stuck.. I play GTR2 but also Rfactor and Pro/Evo are for different games..

PeterV

BTB is replaced or followed up by RTB (Racetrackbuilder)

Race Track Builder

digitalx

November 30, 2016, 09:08:06 PM #2 Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 09:10:49 PM by digitalx
Oh THAT'S it. I saw that before but had no idea.

Thank you very much.

Ouch that price..

Grooveski

December 01, 2016, 02:15:12 AM #3 Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 04:27:33 AM by Grooveski
I've only tried BTB once - out of curiosity - for the new infield sections of a reversed Indianapolis.
Was a while ago - looks like it's been improved since then.

I'd say it's major strength was the kerb/fences/tyrewall placement tool.  That's clever.   8)
...but unfortunately the kerbs it places aren't best suited for bike games, a bit too chunky.
...and they aren't welded to the rest of the model - which can look scrappy or even leave little bits where the grass peeks through between road edge and kerb.  :-\

Using the standard walls/fences means they'll be the same as every other BTB model.  The models aren't bad and you can reskin them to add individuality but really there are more types of fence in the world than in the BTB pack.

It's patching tools for adding sandtraps and runoff work pretty well but have a habit of leaving unwelded areas as the poly count reduces.  I think some folk take the finished track into a proper modeler when it's done and tidy up because I've seen BTB tracks that don't have this problem.
Same goes for road/pitlane junctions.  Easy to make but are left unwelded.

It's background image assignment had something that bugged the hell out of me but I can't remember what it was, just that I wished it worked like any other modeling package.

It's UV control is pretty good, the way it maps everything as it's going.  On a par with MAX for basically not having to think about it.

Looks like RTB has upped construction to the equivalent of the Loft modifier in MAX, which is a lot better than your average path/rail extrude.
...and improved the merging too by the looks of it.
....and added some nifty terrain building utilities which yeah, I like the look of.
.....but it doesn't have the model placement tools yet so really you'd want both BTB and RTB to get the job done.
......unless you don't need the RTB bits. 

If you build a track with BTB you can always tweak it later in a modeler.
...like Blender(which is free).
....then export to whatever game you liked(using the game's conversion tools).