• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:46:16 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Laptop/Notebook - which Hardware needed to play GPB?

Started by C21, December 30, 2013, 09:18:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alby46

but but don't consider that benchmark for gp bikes, as gp bikes doesn't support hyper threading , that the i7 has and the i5 not. so , if you only play games, go for the i5 + gt750. if you make 3d models go for i7+gt740 as 3d design programs support ht
Still riding a 50cc, but enjoying it :)

Hawk

Quote from: neoraptor on January 15, 2014, 02:54:46 PM

If you want to have a real performance boost, an SSD would be a wise investment.
It is really much quicker as a standard HDD and everything feels more snappy.
You can buy an aftermarket and put it in your computer as it is less expansive than fitting an OEM one.

I think SSD's are fantastic devices, very quick, but just a word of warning about buying an SSD second hand: SSD's have a set or recommended read/write life cycle, after which there is a real danger of losing any data that is stored on them, so if you have any important data always make regular backups, because when an SSD goes down there is no chance of recovering the data, unlike a HDD. So if your going to buy an SSD I recommend going for a new unit. ;)

HornetMaX

January 15, 2014, 05:48:51 PM #32 Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 04:09:32 PM by HornetMaX
Quote from: Hawk_UK on January 15, 2014, 05:36:56 PM
I think SSD's are fantastic devices, very quick, but just a word of warning about buying an SSD second hand: SSD's have a set or recommended read/write life cycle, after which there is a real danger of losing any data that is stored on them, so if you have any important data always make regular backups, because when an SSD goes down there is no chance of recovering the data, unlike a HDD. So if your going to buy an SSD I recommend going for a new unit. ;)
SSDs are must have, even on laptops.
However yes, they do have a limit on write cycles, but the limit is usually huge. You can read here: http://techreport.com/review/25889/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-500tb-update: one drive reported some reallocated sectors after 100TB of writes (this is 140GB per day, every day, for 2 years). The others are still very fine after 500TB (this is 140GB per day, every day, for 10 years).

Also, even when some sectors start to be reallocated, you shouldn't experience data loss: many drives have overprovisioning (some extra space to reallocate bad sectors) and the others should just see their capacity go down.

That said, I'd never buy a second hand ssd given the current prices.

MaX.

C21

Thanks for your suggestions.

It will be a i7 4700MQ - either GT750M or GTX765M.
It costs a bit more than the 740M 64bit but is worth the money (i hope  :) )
The GT740M is available in 2 different variants (64bit and 128bit bandwith) and on the Laptop i choosed before only the 64bit is installed which is a big no go and decrease in performance.

# Member of the CAWS Racing Team #

iVolution

I have just bought a Asus R505cb with an i7 3537U and a GT740M. Will let you guys know how GPbikes will perform on it once i get the time to install it.

C21

# Member of the CAWS Racing Team #

Reactive

ASUS 1225B Win7-64 for travels, based on AMD E-450. All setups on low, but it work!
Excuse my English, its not my native.
Ryzen7 1800x / Aorus GA-AX370 Gaming K7 / Hynix 16Gb x2 2993MHz / Samsung 960PRO 512 M.2 / nVidia GTX1060 6Gb / Windows 10 pro x64