• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:42:54 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Engine SCL (sound editing)

Started by Warlock, January 02, 2014, 05:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

Anybody knowing what "AutoPitch = 1" does in engine.scl ?

MaX.

Stout Johnson

Quote from: HornetMaX on February 04, 2014, 10:00:25 PM

MaX.

it never changed anything for me... whether it was =0 or =1 ... dunno
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

Warlock

Quote from: HornetMaX on February 04, 2014, 10:00:25 PM

MaX.

No sorry, didn't even try yet.
Was enough to understand the rest of the file   :o  :)

Hawk

Very nice job indeed Max! ;D

I will find this very handy when I try to recreate the 1982 Yamaha YZR OW60 500cc bikes engine sounds. Will definitely take a lot of testing redoing and testing over and over to get the hang of it all before I settle on the final sound file... Not sure if I'll be able to achieve a good result as I haven't got the engine sound at constant revs for many seconds over the whole rev range, but I'll give it go when I finally get to that stage. :)

It's great that we have guys like you in the community that take the time and effort to figure these things out and let us know and explain your findings to us all. Your work is very much appreciate Max!

Great piece of work mate!;) ;D 8)

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on January 28, 2014, 12:16:17 PM
Quote from: Warlock on January 28, 2014, 04:01:39 AM
I calculated all the RPM values of the engine.scl from the Murasama (only onthrottle without idles or pitches to make it easier) , just to try to understand it.
Spreadsheet comes handy: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjmU7Qoo77i1dGZUMDJFalRUeXVZZXhOX01TRkFaNVE&usp=sharing

MaX.

Hi Max.

Any chance you can re-establish this handy spreadsheet that you created? I'm trying to create a really good 2 stroke engine sound and I really need this to make life easier. Thanks mate.  ;) 8)

Hawk.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk on February 01, 2017, 12:31:53 PM
Hi Max.

Any chance you can re-establish this handy spreadsheet that you created? I'm trying to create a really good 2 stroke engine sound and I really need this to make life easier. Thanks mate.  ;) 8)
Can't even remember what was in it.
If you tell me what it did, it's probably faster for me to recreate it than to figure out where it has gone (likely it has been binned).

What do you need exactly ?

Hawk

It was a spread sheet to calculate for this:

The basics: within a layer (e.g. layer0 for throttle ON), you want to "play" one specific sample (e.g. sample0) only over a given range of RPM.
Of course GPB will "modulate" (alter the pitch, in fact) of that sample depending on the RPMs in the range. This is done this way:•RefPitch is 0.176471: if you multiply it by MaxValue (17000) you get 3,000 RPM. This is probably the RPMs at which the sample was captured/generated.
•MinPitch is 0.000000: you multiply that by RefPitch and by MaXValue and you get ...well, 0,000 RPM.
•MaxPitch is 1.273335: you multiply that by RefPitch and by MaXValue and you get ...well, 3,820 RPM.
•This means that this specific sample will be used for RPMS between 0 and 3,820. The pitch of the .wav will be varied according to the RPMs.

Hawk.

HornetMaX

You can see RPMs in MaxCSL (Main/Sound file/Show RPM): look at the text file within MaxSCL, you have the RPMs of each sample in comment (and highlighted in red).

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on February 01, 2017, 12:55:24 PM
You can see RPMs in MaxCSL (Main/Sound file/Show RPM): look at the text file within MaxSCL, you have the RPMs of each sample in comment (and highlighted in red).

Oh... Okay Max, I didn't realise that... First time for me to finally get around to using your MaxSCL Tool.....

Thanks mate, I'll let you know how I get on with it.  ;) 8)

Hawk.

HornetMaX

I just checked in v1.2: clicking on the "RPMs" icon will show you the RPMs (instead of the normalized values), so that should be good enough for you.

One thing I noticed: the sample engine.scl I provide with v1.2 (a GP15 sound from beta8) has the comments wrong (RPMs infos, in red after ";;").
If you right click on the text "editor" (where the content of the engine.scl is shown just like a normal text editor) you get a pop-up menu with Sound file (.scl)/Beautify (Ctrl+B): this will re-sync the comments and they will appear correctly, as in the interface

Example: the 1st point of the 1st layer has a "value" of 0.117647 which, shown as RPMs is 2000, but in the file (comment) appear as ";; 2588".
A Ctrl+B followed by a "Save" will fix that. Notice it has no functional impact, as the number is only in as a comment.

Hawk