• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Ducati tossing the salad? :)

Started by davidboda46, January 25, 2017, 08:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidboda46

"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

matty0l215

Certainly an interesting tail design...
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

HornetMaX

Hmm spooky ... but if it is an exhaust valve, how can it be controlled if there's a common ECU ?

Meyer#12

It is very interesting solutions Ducati comes up with.

New exhaust working like a jet to make up for what is lost with the ban of winglets..

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/racing/motogp/2017/january/ducati-patents-jet-exhaust
Meyer#12

davidboda46

Nice find Meyer, interesting. Wonder what Dorna and FIM will say if they bring it to MotoGP? Don't know the technical regulations for 2017 but gonna look into it. One thing is for sure, Ducati sure seems pissed off about the loss of winglets. Personally I think that a bike should look like a bike and not a wannabe airplane.

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

HornetMaX

Quote from: Meyer#12 on January 25, 2017, 10:06:51 PM

New exhaust working like a jet to make up for what is lost with the ban of winglets..

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/racing/motogp/2017/january/ducati-patents-jet-exhaust

It may be interesting, but the explanation given above looks very wrong to me.
I've pinged my savvy friend on it, but even before his reply, I'm tempted to say it has nothing to do with thrust (neither forward nor down) but more to do with exhaust pressure control over RPM range.

And to answer my own question about common ECU, some sensors/actuators are allowed outside the ECU:

QuoteApart from homologated sensors, there is a list of Free Devices permitted:
All actuators, such as fuel injectors, ignition coils, electric motors, actuation coils, fuel pumps, coolant pumps, engine lubricant pumps.

So I guess you could say this is just an electric motor or actuator.

But variable length exhaust are not allowed ... here we seem to have a variable size one ... hmm ...

Meyer#12

Quote from: HornetMaX on January 26, 2017, 08:37:07 AM
Quote from: Meyer#12 on January 25, 2017, 10:06:51 PM

It may be interesting, but the explanation given above looks very wrong to me.
I've pinged my savvy friend on it, but even before his reply, I'm tempted to say it has nothing to do with thrust (neither forward nor down) but more to do with exhaust pressure control over RPM range.

And to answer my own question about common ECU, some sensors/actuators are allowed outside the ECU:

QuoteApart from homologated sensors, there is a list of Free Devices permitted:
All actuators, such as fuel injectors, ignition coils, electric motors, actuation coils, fuel pumps, coolant pumps, engine lubricant pumps.

So I guess you could say this is just an electric motor or actuator.

But variable length exhaust are not allowed ... here we seem to have a variable size one ... hmm ...

I agree, not about the thrust. The author seems to have got the effect a bit wrong but some interesting points. And the adjusting of RPM might be able to help them get an advantage on corner exit if they can get it working right.

I would like to know where Ducati gets those ideas? Or maybe the other teams have thought about it but are afraid of wasting money and going where no one have gone before with motorbike racing.
Meyer#12

HornetMaX

Quote from: Meyer#12 on January 26, 2017, 08:44:20 AM
I would like to know where Ducati gets those ideas? Or maybe the other teams have thought about it but are afraid of wasting money and going where no one have gone before with motorbike racing.
Well, if it's just a sophisticated exhaust valve, it's not an incredible breakthrough, at least conceptually.
But let's see when we have more info (guess that won't take too long).

Meyer#12

Quote from: HornetMaX on January 26, 2017, 11:34:48 AM
Quote from: Meyer#12 on January 26, 2017, 08:44:20 AM
Well, if it's just a sophisticated exhaust valve, it's not an incredible breakthrough, at least conceptually.
But let's see when we have more info (guess that won't take too long).

True, let's see what happens :)
Meyer#12

davidboda46

Gigi Dall'Igna answer to Crash.net about "the box":

Asked about the new 'concept', the Italian replied: "This is not a concept, it is a shape of the fairing."
Is the box empty inside?
"No, it's not empty."
But there is no fuel inside?
"No."
You've modified the exhaust to fit around the box...
"We moved the exhaust 30mm, so not a huge modification!"
Are all the bikes here this week using it?
"At the moment, yes."
So is it definitive for this season?
"Nothing is definitive! It is something we have to test and do a [back-to-back] comparison with Michele, but we've not had enough track time to do this. "
There are reports that Ducati has patented a 'jet exhaust' valve and that maybe...
"I've seen the reports... Ducati have a lot of patents!"
But it is not for use in racing?
"No. You can see the [GP17] exhaust and it is not in the direction of the [patent] drawings."

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/239002/1/dalligna-talks-stoner-test-salad-box-fairing.html

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46

HornetMaX

HornetMaX

Quote from: davidboda46 on January 26, 2017, 01:12:09 PM
But it is not for use in racing?
"No. You can see the [GP17] exhaust and it is not in the direction of the [patent] drawings."

Which is kind of a good thing, as in the drawings from the patent (as on the bennets site) the system would actually favor wheeling instead of countering it (line of thrust passing below the CoG).
Maybe just patent tactics, made to confuse everybody.

davidboda46

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/motogp/anti-chatter-jounce-box

More theories on the salad box. Make sure to read the comments as well, always some interesting stuff there.

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46