• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:08:20 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

realistic 3D grass fx for track creators

Started by Manu, January 26, 2017, 06:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manu

January 26, 2017, 06:35:07 PM Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 09:20:09 AM by Manu
It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.

Hawk

January 26, 2017, 07:40:00 PM #1 Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 07:45:55 PM by Hawk
Looks good Manu...... Any idea if such a heavy coverage of 3D grass would effect frame rates?  Also how much extra time would such a dense coverage have on the 3D track file export/conversion to a .map file?
I also presume that the 3D grass is added to any 'TRKGRAS' defined surfaces? This would mean that you'd have grass processed on areas quite far away from the track surface that really do not need it at all?

Edit: Just wondering if the 'OFF_TRKGRAS' surface definition would stop the 3D grass from generating on such defined surfaces? Or whether that is totally down to the density map for the whole track grass areas?

But yeah, looks great!  ;D

Hawk.

Manu

The 3d grass is activated only in the textures that you indicate by means of the file with extension .grs with the same name of the terrain texture.

3d grass only works on TRKGRAS surfaces if I remember correctly.

The 3d grass should not decrease the frame rate too much. It is only rendered over short distances.
It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.

Manu

January 27, 2017, 01:55:59 AM #3 Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 02:03:02 AM by Manu

HornetMaX

I'm mostly ignorant in track creation, but does this replace the 3d grass already in GPB ?
Or is it something for track creators to add to their tracks (independently of the GPB 3d grass feature already present) ?

Manu

Hawk

Is it possible to have a variation of colour between each grass node? This would make a large coverage of 3D grass look a lot more life-like instead of the same colour grass nodes shown in the pictures above. Would you think a slight colour variation in each of grass nodes would be possible Manu?  :)

Hawk.

Manu

January 27, 2017, 10:24:02 AM #7 Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 10:59:37 AM by Manu
It is possible to create a variety of effects in the colors of the grass by modifying the color channel.

Hawk

That looks very pretty, but I was thinking of something a little more subtle. Hehe!  ;D

I'm only joking. Lol.... I know this is just to demonstrate that it can be done.  ;) ;D

Nice flowers though mate!  ;D

Thanks Manu!  ;D 8)

Hawk.

h106frp

What controls the draw distance for 3D grass?, I have been experimenting but the grass is only drawn just in front of the bike and its quite distracting seeing it sprout out of the ground.