• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:35:42 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

BikeED Steer pivot definitions

Started by h106frp, January 27, 2017, 09:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

Played with this a lot and referenced back to the stock models.

If the White and Purple 'steer' definitions do not lie on the same plane the position becomes displaced away from the location defined by the white 'steer' and the effect can be observed in both the 1P and 3P in game models and can cause issue with steer/chassis collisions due to the offset arc of travel of the steer arrangement.

I can understand why we would need 2 steer definitions due to the possibility of either the wheel axis being forward or aft of the stanchion or the triple tree clamps being on a different rake axis to the chassis steer tube - both valid.

This would suggest that the points should be steer at the chassis and steer at the fork tube defining the offset and points relative to  the front wheel centreline and all the figures should work OK and the bars should pivot correctly.

Currently the 3D model fsusp 'origin pivot' also appears to contribute and appears to function in defining the offset in a manner opposing the 'purple' steer pivot definition. Also positioning fsusp pivot at the wheel pivot or fsusp pivot at the steer pivot differnently report correct or zero offset in BikeED respectively although visually both are correct.

The indicated offset only being correct when steer pivot and purple 'steer' are aligned.  Any attempt to influence trail by moving the purple 'steer' causes indicated offset to decrease (and the pivot animation problem to be introduced) which if correct is opposing the adjustment in trail.

Is this by design as it does not seem to be possible to adjust the steer geometry very effectively without creating either visual artifacts (are these reflecting the actual simulated geometry used for calculations?) or reported values for offset/trail in BikeEd that do not appear to correlate with the displayed geometry.

I am raising this mainly due to;
a) the graphical integration issues it creates in game
b) these values have a huge impact on in-game bike handling - I can create bike with great believable handling that do not report either correct values in bikeED or look correct visually in-game and contradict what you would expect from the indicated offset and trail values.

I appreciate that you are always busy but If you could find a bit of time to just explain the pivot point definition philosophy I might be able to work out a bit more for myself.

Thank you

PeterV

Could we please get an answer on this? We would like too know how this works or if its a bug of some sort.