• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:36:00 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Rear tyre downshift locking

Started by h106frp, February 08, 2017, 10:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

When playing in 1P it is often difficult to detect when over ambitious downshifting has locked the rear.

Currently the lock up appears to be modelled as a smoth continuous sliding of the rear tyre and in 1P the first indication of severity is when you started to tip the bike in and it just slides out.

Most descriptions of downshift lock up describe the rear tyre as 'hopping', If this is due to the tyre locking, causing the rear suspension to extend, tipping the bike onto the front suspension which compresses until the load on the tyre is reduced enough to allow the whole cycle to repeat then could the cyclic fore-aft pitching of the bike be modelled to give an indication of rear lock up and severity in 1P view.

If my assumptions are nonsense then please advise and then ignore.  :)

Thank you

HornetMaX

As far as I know, in GPB you don't model individual behaviors (e.g. rear hopping or bike straightening when accelerating while leaning).
Any behavior is the result of the overall bike model.

I doubt you could visually detect the rear hopping while in 1st person view. Did you try to see if it is visible in the telemetry ?

h106frp

No, not tried telemetry yet.

Its just that i have been playing with some engine curve testing (no ECU) and i have really noticed how you can have the back locked solid to the point that the bike will slide out the instant you touch the stick to turn but with no indication, audio or visual that this is the case.

tchemi

Maybe, a new sound for the tyre could be a solution ?! I never heard any tyre noise. I am not talking about heavy screaming but When I lock my wheel on my back, I feel it in my butt (of course it is not possible to emulate vibrations in GPB) but I think I can also hear it.

Also, I am now playing in 1P (it was a long to journey to get rid of the 3P view) and to be honest, as we already discuss in other threads, the camera is to shakky. IMO it is not a good idea to have a visial indication of hopping as long as the camera is fixed to the bike and not to the horizon

h106frp

I always use helmet cam and head tracking and never notice any shaky camera issues - love 1P, all i ever use

Vini

i agree, there has to be more feedback for the rear under braking.

maybe max could do some force feedback magic with his plugin? :D

HornetMaX

Quote from: vin97 on February 09, 2017, 03:47:16 PM
maybe max could do some force feedback magic with his plugin? :D
It's already done: if the bike vibrates, the plugin will make the pad rumble. So if the rear is hopping, you'll have rumble.

GPB does not have specific behaviours hard-coded, the same applies for my plugin: I could detect a rear wheel lock and make the pad rumble, but that would be artificial.

Side note: you don't need the rear to be totally locked (100% slipping) to fall when you start leaning. The rear could be slipping 20% or something and that could be enough, once you start leaning and turning, to make you lose the rear.