• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Can you turbocharge a 2-Stroke?

Started by MultiCOOLFRESH, February 21, 2017, 08:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MultiCOOLFRESH

Hello,

I was wondering, if you can turbo- or supercharge a 2-Stroke. Just a a quick question and do not worry, I will not do this to my 125ccm ;D

MCF
Heeeeeey Hoooooo <br /><br />

janaucarre

Yes it can but its very complicate.
On a 4 stroke the air/fuel entry is blocked by the valve when the piston goes down and when it ejects the burned gas.
On a 2 stroke the turbo will ever propuls air/fuel against the piston, even when it will compress for the explosion and the turbo will brake the course.
It can be possible but with a valve wich stop the turbo air/fuel flow during compression time.
So its unused

Vini

not very effectively without exhaust valves, unless you have a bit more exotic engine layouts.
two-strokes are basically already supercharged by default.

matty0l215

Wouldn't supercharging be a better option?

That way it is directly linked to the engine RPM.
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

MultiCOOLFRESH

Ok,

but supercharching should be possible and easier and maybe also better for the power output etc., right? And thanks for the quick answers :)

MCF

Vini

easier but it's still the same problem (lack of exhaust valve).

MultiCOOLFRESH

Quote from: vin97 on February 22, 2017, 03:06:28 PM
easier but it's still the same problem (lack of exhaust valve).

But with an exhaust valve it should be decent, right?

Vini

MultiCOOLFRESH

grimm

I've seen tons of discussion about it, but only one has ever surfaced and actually functioned. Back in 2004 there was a turbo CR125 at Bonneville.

Plenty of pics in this thread:

http://forums.everything2stroke.com/threads/44690-Turbo-cr125-Bonneville-04

MultiCOOLFRESH

Quote from: grimm on February 22, 2017, 04:49:24 PM
I've seen tons of discussion about it, but only one has ever surfaced and actually functioned. Back in 2004 there was a turbo CR125 at Bonneville.

Plenty of pics in this thread:

http://forums.everything2stroke.com/threads/44690-Turbo-cr125-Bonneville-04

Thank you :)

grimm

No problem.  ;) I'm quickly working my way into being a "turbo guru" with the information I've acquired over the years. Found and explored just about anything and everything in the last few years with forcing air and fuel into engines. Even building the "be all, end all" turbo bike of all turbo bikes that isn't a 'busa.

Probably poorly translated...

"rakennettu jään ratsastus"

Vini

supercharging a regular two-stroke might give some additional power (at the cost of an even more peaky power curve) but using a turbo has to be very inefficient because taking energy away from the exhaust gases means less back pressure which means that the additional pressure cannot effectively be kept in the cylinder.

are there any power figures for that turbo cr125?

MultiCOOLFRESH

Quote from: vin97 on February 22, 2017, 08:30:20 PM
supercharging a regular two-stroke might give some additional power (at the cost of an even more peaky power curve) but using a turbo has to be very inefficient because taking energy away from the exhaust gases means less back pressure which means that the additional pressure cannot effectively be kept in the cylinder.

are there any power figures for that turbo cr125?

True, never thought about that. Superchargers are kings for the 2-Stroke :D

MultiCOOLFRESH

Quote from: grimm on February 22, 2017, 08:15:44 PM
No problem.  ;) I'm quickly working my way into being a "turbo guru" with the information I've acquired over the years. Found and explored just about anything and everything in the last few years with forcing air and fuel into engines. Even building the "be all, end all" turbo bike of all turbo bikes that isn't a 'busa.

Probably poorly translated...

"rakennettu jään ratsastus"

Nice buddy, you got to upload a video of this thing, when it is finished :)