• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

The Ugliest MotoGP Bike In The History of The World

Started by Urban Chaos 2.0, March 11, 2017, 07:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urban Chaos 2.0

Quote from: matty0l215 on March 13, 2017, 10:52:55 AM
Quote from: h106frp on March 12, 2017, 10:53:10 PM
Maybe Newton was wrong after all  ::)
F=ma and inertia and aerodynamic drag are constants

I read that as Norton at a first glance ;D

Could anyone explain though how this would help in corners? I can't quite get my head around it providing useful downforce.

The benefits are explained here: http://www.sportrider.com/motogp-aerodynamics-after-winglet-ban#page-3 and here http://www.cycleworld.com/2016/03/07/motogp-racing-motorcycle-racebike-winglets-function-kevin-cameron-insights

Example:
"Now consider corner exit. The rider throttles up as much as rear grip and front lift allow. And what if rear grip allows the front to lift? The front tire stops steering the bike, which runs wide. Riders pull themselves forward on the bike to prevent this, but it's not enough. Even a modest downforce in this situation could usefully increase the amount of throttle the rider can use."

h106frp

With a design like the Ducati i would have thought the changes to aerodynamic drag and CofP at high speed would be more significant than anything else that's happening or could be gained at the lower cornering speeds. How does its sector times compare to bikes without the fancy front fairing?

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on March 13, 2017, 12:37:51 PM
With a design like the Ducati i would have thought the changes to aerodynamic drag and CofP at high speed would be more significant than anything else that's happening or could be gained at the lower cornering speeds. How does its sector times compare to bikes without the fancy front fairing?
I'm not sure: the air passing through the "holes" may still hit the rider sitting behind the fairing so in terms of cp it may even be worse (to be honest it's impossible to say without wind tunnel testing or aero simulators).

Of the two links posted above, the Sport Rider article is foggy, very foggy:
QuoteAt this point we know that there are basically two advantages the wings created for MotoGP: reducing the wheelies and keeping the front wheel firmly on the ground. While those two aspects may seem the same, they are not. The first—wheelie reduction—is through the downforce generated by winglets to help prevent the electronics from cutting power to the engine when they detect that the front tire is too high in the air.
The second effect the wings have is to generate load on the front axle which establishes firm contact between the front tire and the ground, allowing the rider to feel it at all times.
And how do one generate load on the front axle if not with a downforce? I really don't see what they mean with "The two aspects are not the same". To me they are the very same.

The second article seems better to me. Urban has posted only the part that he thinks confirms what he said (that wings help in turns), but if you read the whole article you can find this:
QuoteIt was clear that for every pound of downforce that wing generated when the bike was upright, it would generate at least half a pound of sideforce tending to push the bike off the track on fast turns.
(quiz question: can you see where does the "at least half a pound" stuff come from ?)

QuoteThe bike winglets of today are mounted up front, rather like "moustaches" on the front of the fairing. Their clear purpose is to provide a force that opposes front wheel lift and the loss of control it causes. Remember that in 2004, Valentino Rossi said, "The wheelie is the enemy."

The sentence on corner exit is still on the wheeling problem, nothing more.

The last point in the CycleWorld article is interesting: the variable angle of attack (wing inclination) underlines how using wings you get a worse cx (which could be a positive tradeoff anyway, if you're unable to keep the nose down). In principle you could have the wing pivoting in the horizontal plane to stay horizontal no matter the bike lean angle: that would solve the problem of the "force pushing you outside of the turn" (because the force would be vertical, no matter the bike lean angle), but is likely pretty hard to implement and probably already illegal before the current ban on wings.

Warlock

Quote from: Urban Chaos 2.0 on March 13, 2017, 10:55:06 AM
I am the one who brought the evidence and the rational arguments.

To avoid his own clear embarrassment at not knowing enough about the subject

You don't know what you're talking about

My apprehension of the English language, far surpasses his to the extent that I would never degrade myself

I am in a position to tell him what's what, when it comes to these things. He is not.

And you are blaming him for being a know-it-all    ROFL !! ;D

Most of you seem either to lack the knowledge to point out the obvious here, or are too intimidated by Mr. Know-it-all HornetMax and his imposing attitude, to be able to point out the obvious.

Well, here you are directly insulting everyone's intelligence.
You dont have a clue what the knowledge of everyone in this forum can be and assuming we are too coward to discuss with Max, big mistake Mr young know-it-all

Urban Chaos 2.0

Quote from: h106frp on March 13, 2017, 12:37:51 PM

Jorge seems to have benefited quite a bit. He moved up to fourth since the upgrade. But that might only be due to the use of soft tyres.

JamoZ

Quote from: Warlock on March 13, 2017, 02:47:11 PM
I am the one who brought the evidence and the rational arguments.

To avoid his own clear embarrassment at not knowing enough about the subject

You don't know what you're talking about

My apprehension of the English language, far surpasses his to the extent that I would never degrade myself

I am in a position to tell him what's what, when it comes to these things. He is not.

And you are blaming him for being a know-it-all    ROFL !! ;D

Most of you seem either to lack the knowledge to point out the obvious here, or are too intimidated by Mr. Know-it-all HornetMax and his imposing attitude, to be able to point out the obvious.

Well, here you are directly insulting everyone's intelligence.
You dont have a clue what the knowledge of everyone in this forum can be and assuming we are too coward to discuss with Max, big mistake Mr young know-it-all

I'm turning 20 this year

Puberty is a bitch Warlock ;)

Urban Chaos 2.0

Quote from: JamoZ on March 13, 2017, 04:23:54 PM
Puberty is a bitch Warlock ;)

Seems you and puberty have something in common Jamoz.

Cheers

WALKEN

Wow, just don't get it.

Food for thought- In life there will always be a "know it all" its the quiet/humble person who holds value. Its OK to grow and resist, its part of finding your way.

That being said, there are rules to follow!

topic closed. :(   
Help me, help you!