• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Cornering tips?

Started by Become dust, April 03, 2017, 08:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

passerBy

Quote from: Become dust on April 09, 2017, 01:43:21 AM
but what it basically is, it is "direct control, you have direct control of the bike and the rider regardless of speed and current angle, with the default setup you are basically commanding the "rider" to turn left or right but can only turn so much considering speed, in other words the rider will turn to the calculated limit without falling. It is hard to explain but the best way i can explain it with is that it is driving with no safety net, no "aids" at all, i guess :D also sorry it took so long to answer did not see your post D:
I'd say it wouldn't be all bad if we could actually command the virtual rider the steering angle itself. We would still need to counter-steer and could probably overlean the bike in a bend, but the rider was still able to prevent the bike from falling in certain situations, like, abrupt lean changes at slow speeds/changes of the surface's slope. In the direct steering mode we have to do this all by ourselves. And considering our lack of vestibulary feedback and the input lag, it's a bit unfair to us. This is magnified further in MXB or on lighter bikes.

Still, I can't go back to default steering at all :) That "autopilot riding" is absolutely no fun.

Become dust

Quote from: passerBy on April 09, 2017, 03:03:39 PM
Quote from: Become dust on April 09, 2017, 01:43:21 AM
but what it basically is, it is "direct control, you have direct control of the bike and the rider regardless of speed and current angle, with the default setup you are basically commanding the "rider" to turn left or right but can only turn so much considering speed, in other words the rider will turn to the calculated limit without falling. It is hard to explain but the best way i can explain it with is that it is driving with no safety net, no "aids" at all, i guess :D also sorry it took so long to answer did not see your post D:
I'd say it wouldn't be all bad if we could actually command the virtual rider the steering angle itself. We would still need to counter-steer and could probably overlean the bike in a bend, but the rider was still able to prevent the bike from falling in certain situations, like, abrupt lean changes at slow speeds/changes of the surface's slope. In the direct steering mode we have to do this all by ourselves. And considering our lack of vestibulary feedback and the input lag, it's a bit unfair to us. This is magnified further in MXB or on lighter bikes.

Still, I can't go back to default steering at all :) That "autopilot riding" is absolutely no fun.

agreed, maybe we need to suggest that to piboso! give us recovery assistance! a limiter, something!

HornetMaX

I'd say it wouldn't be all bad if we could actually command the virtual rider the steering angle itself.
Uh ?  :o What you are describing is exactly what DSA is. It is already available.

We would still need to counter-steer and could probably overlean the bike in a bend, but the rider was still able to prevent the bike from falling in certain situations, like, abrupt lean changes at slow speeds/changes of the surface's slope.
Not sure why you thing so. With DSA, the only thing the virtual rider will try to do is to keep the sterring at the angle you tell him. All the rest is on you, just like DST.

passerBy

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 10, 2017, 06:55:41 AM
I'd say it wouldn't be all bad if we could actually command the virtual rider the steering angle itself.
Uh ?  :o What you are describing is exactly what DSA is. It is already available.

We would still need to counter-steer and could probably overlean the bike in a bend, but the rider was still able to prevent the bike from falling in certain situations, like, abrupt lean changes at slow speeds/changes of the surface's slope.
Not sure why you thing so. With DSA, the only thing the virtual rider will try to do is to keep the sterring at the angle you tell him. All the rest is on you, just like DST.
I think in DS2 the rider is a bit too keen on keeping the angle at where I tell him to. What I wanted is a mode where he could use some sort of a simulated vestibulary system to help at low speeds.

At the moment DS2 is still very complicated for newcomers. Heck, it can be extremely complicated for pretty much everyone in certain scenarios (like the aforementioned "Hairpin of Death" at A7000). That's why I feel there needs to be an additional mode to bridge the gap between the default steering and direct steering modes. Also, in GPB DS modes are a cakewalk compared to the same ones in MXB. MXB is an absolute hell, but still a fun kind of hell nonetheless :) I think a middle ground mode is really necessary for MXB.