• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Nordschleife - AC conversion - help please

Started by h106frp, April 06, 2017, 09:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/N%C3%BCrburgring/@50.3579269,6.9805827,329m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x47bfad369010c559:0x80dbc21b73ca589a!8m2!3d50.3340981!4d6.9426625

Not sure what it is but agreed its too bright and plain - looks like a drainage modification. Don't worry it can be fixed if we can resolve the bigger issue of getting it to run for everyone.

passerBy

Another GTX970 owner here :) The specs are similar enough to Max'
The track takes long enough to load, then for several second the mouse is lagging hard. Then, after getting on the track, everything lags again for a bit, and finally everything seems to be loaded. The framerate appears to fluctuate wildly, sometimes hitting several hundreds fps, sometimes sinking down to 30 or maybe worse, but at a very rapid rate. The end result feels like 30 or 40. With VSync on everything gets a little bit better. I will bring the view distance down from 3 km and see if it helps :)

I suppose that the track hits the 970's "proper memory" 3 GB limit, after which it starts "cheating" and underperforms, that's why the 1050 with 6 GB homogeneous (I hope?) memory on board performs better in this case.

As for the track itself, it's the dream coming true :) Never expected to try the laser-scanned version in GPB, to be honest, but it's finally happened :D Biggest thanks for this attempt!

Had to switch the new buggy view mode off, but it was worth the trouble. It's a laser-scanned Nordschleife, after all :)

HornetMaX

Quote from: passerBy on April 07, 2017, 04:34:24 AM
I suppose that the track hits the 970's "proper memory" 3 GB limit, after which it starts "cheating" and underperforms, that's why the 1050 with 6 GB homogeneous (I hope?) memory on board performs better in this case.
I'd need to test a bit bit but I'm not under the impression the problem comes from the 3.5GB limitation.
I'm sure we have plenty of people with GPU's with less than 3GB and some do not seem to have the problem.

Maybe worth a dedicated post ? [I'l ldo one to ask PiBoSo some basic logging from GPB so that we at least know roughly where it crashes]

h106frp

Quote from: passerBy on April 07, 2017, 04:34:24 AM
Another GTX970 owner here :) The specs are similar enough to Max'
The track takes long enough to load, then for several second the mouse is lagging hard. Then, after getting on the track, everything lags again for a bit, and finally everything seems to be loaded. The framerate appears to fluctuate wildly, sometimes hitting several hundreds fps, sometimes sinking down to 30 or maybe worse, but at a very rapid rate. The end result feels like 30 or 40. With VSync on everything gets a little bit better. I will bring the view distance down from 3 km and see if it helps :)

As for the track itself, it's the dream coming true :) Never expected to try the laser-scanned version in GPB, to be honest, but it's finally happened :D Biggest thanks for this attempt!

Had to switch the new buggy view mode off, but it was worth the trouble. It's a laser-scanned Nordschleife, after all :)

Sorry to disappoint but this is not the the laserscan version - its the previous one which I think is a hack from RF + many mods.

Unless we can work out the reasons for the performance variance i think we are already hitting limits and its only half the length we would need for a full IOMTT track with acceptable scenery.

I am going to have an experiment with the texture format - the textures are not as big as you might think but there is some scope to experiment with the structure.

passerBy

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 07, 2017, 06:27:35 AM
I'd need to test a bit bit but I'm not under the impression the problem comes from the 3.5GB limitation.
I'm sure we have plenty of people with GPU's with less than 3GB and some do not seem to have the problem.

Maybe worth a dedicated post ? [I'l ldo one to ask PiBoSo some basic logging from GPB so that we at least know roughly where it crashes]
The GPUs with no slower memory region would probably try to take on only as much graphical data as needed (at the expense of the visual fidelity). 970 tries hard to be taken for a proper 4 GB card, but when the whole memory gets stuffed, it starts to choke on the data. Or so I think :)

For me it doesn't crash, but the frame rate fluctuations are extreme both in the frequency and the amplitude. Still, usable enough.

Quote from: h106frp on April 07, 2017, 07:24:20 AM
Sorry to disappoint but this is not the the laserscan version - its the previous one which I think is a hack from RF + many mods.

Unless we can work out the reasons for the performance variance i think we are already hitting limits and its only half the length we would need for a full IOMTT track with acceptable scenery.

I am going to have an experiment with the texture format - the textures are not as big as you might think but there is some scope to experiment with the structure.
That's really disappointing, to be honest. AC in itself was a complete waste of money for me. I hoped I could make at least some use of it. Either way, this is still the best Nordschleife for GPB we have currently.

We might very well be hitting those limits indeed. After all, the alternative view mode seem to only have issues with the longer tracks. Might be related somehow.

HornetMaX

Quote from: passerBy on April 07, 2017, 09:12:22 AM
The GPUs with no slower memory region would probably try to take on only as much graphical data as needed (at the expense of the visual fidelity). 970 tries hard to be taken for a proper 4 GB card, but when the whole memory gets stuffed, it starts to choke on the data. Or so I think :)
Hmm ... a bit far fetched, choking due to the slow 0.5GB seems to matter for only a a few % of the fps in other games.

After all, the alternative view mode seem to only have issues with the longer tracks. Might be related somehow.
The "view=1" in "[mode]" ? What problems exactly ?
I see no particular reason why it would have an issue with longer tracks.

passerBy

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 07, 2017, 11:02:49 AM
Hmm ... a bit far fetched, choking due to the slow 0.5GB seems to matter for only a a few % of the fps in other games.
Well, it's not just a problem of losing some fps, the framerate seems to oscillate like crazy for me. In a split second it can go through a 30 to 300 cycle or so. Mostly seems to stay around 120, but it feels like 40 instead. I think I saw a similar behavior from the unit once the 3.5 GB threshold was crossed before.

After all, the alternative view mode seem to only have issues with the longer tracks. Might be related somehow.
The "view=1" in "[mode]" ? What problems exactly ?
I see no particular reason why it would have an issue with longer tracks.
I see no reason for that either, but ever since I switched to view=1, all the hell broke loose for me with longer tracks. I had to switch FFB off, for I had a really nasty ~10 Hz low amplitude noise introduced into it (some of it was even picked up at a standstill), but the view in both "cockpit cams" was equally jittery (I think, mostly in the yaw axis). The 3rd person camera was fine, but I can't even ride in that view, nor have I any inclination to learn to.
So, I had to change it to view=0. Now everything's fine and I can start enjoying the most interesting tracks all over again.

HornetMaX

Quote from: passerBy on April 07, 2017, 05:35:51 PM
I see no reason for that either, but ever since I switched to view=1, all the hell broke loose for me with longer tracks. I had to switch FFB off, for I had a really nasty ~10 Hz low amplitude noise introduced into it (some of it was even picked up at a standstill), but the view in both "cockpit cams" was equally jittery (I think, mostly in the yaw axis). The 3rd person camera was fine, but I can't even ride in that view, nor have I any inclination to learn to.
So, I had to change it to view=0. Now everything's fine and I can start enjoying the most interesting tracks all over again.
You mean that bike standing still, mode=1 --> 10Hz FFB noise, switch to mode=0 --> no noise ?
That's  worth a bug report, documented if you can. Once again, it just shouldn't happen.

passerBy

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 07, 2017, 08:07:00 PM
Quote from: passerBy on April 07, 2017, 05:35:51 PM
You mean that bike standing still, mode=1 --> 10Hz FFB noise, switch to mode=0 --> no noise ?
That's  worth a bug report, documented if you can. Once again, it just shouldn't happen.
Rather, some unwarranted, non-regular noise with the bike standing, then switching to more regular noise with similar amplitude going on at about 10 Hz after starting to roll. And yes, mode=0 cures that.
I will make a bug report later.

h106frp

We might just be upgrading to the laserscan version if luck holds out ;)

miki

passerBy

Quote from: h106frp on April 08, 2017, 10:08:16 PM
We might just be upgrading to the laserscan version if luck holds out ;)
Crossing my fingers for that :)

Vini

...I've been getting into this track lately and it's very ridable, even with the big bikes.
would be nice to have some "sprint" races there in the future.

is there something you can do about the incorrect respawn positions and the replay crash?

Robert223

Thank you for that track! Works perfectly!

doubledragoncc

OMFG..........................

How did I miss this track..............................baby daddies home at last

Thank you so much love it

Will host it asap on database and race coming soon!!!

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.