• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:28:13 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Why stop at 21:9 when you can go higher ?

Started by HornetMaX, April 07, 2017, 07:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

I'm pondering buying a 21:9 monitor, but no matter the (high) price, the options available at the moment are not 100% satisfactory (Asus PG348Q, Acer X34 / X24P to come, AOC AG352UCG, HP Omen X35).

Then I've stumbled on a news announcing that Samsung will soon produce panels with 32:9 aspect ratio (that's exactly 2 16:9 screens side to side), 3840x1080 resolution (double of usual FHD) and 49 inches diagonal (roughly like 2 27 inches panels). VA panel, 144Hz, both GSync anf FreeSync versions. It's a bit low on PPI (just like a 27" on 1080p) but ...

h106frp

I have just gone super wide and love it but it does have a big impact on frame rate processing all those extra pixels  and windows desktop will only scale icons etc up so far :)

At 34'' wide (curved which is really nice) and sat a normal desktop distance away its also about the limits of your viewing angle so if you go wider you might find your having to spin you head around a lot

It is a joy having an app open with all the toolbars IDE etc and still have space for a couple of full size windows.

tchemi

Quote from: h106frp on April 07, 2017, 08:43:01 AM
[...] you might find you having to spin you head around a lot [...]

No !! I don't see what's wrong with that !!
http://i.imgur.com/5bGI4Zy.jpg

HornetMaX

April 07, 2017, 10:42:34 AM #3 Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 10:52:05 AM by HornetMaX
I have just gone super wide
Model ?

it does have a big impact on frame rate processing all those extra pixels  and windows desktop will only scale icons etc up so far :)
The samsung thingy at 3840x1080 has less pixels than a unsual 21:9 at 3440x1440.
Also you should have no scaling issues in windows as it's not hi-res/4k, it's just wider (still 1080p).

h106frp

LG34UC...

Its 1080p as well, decided this was the safe bet after reading a few reviews about how small the desktop items become if you go above this, after all i do a lot of non-game stuff on my PC.

But the extra pixels at 2560 dropped about 25% on frame rate compared to std. width, love the wide viewing angle for games though  :)

HornetMaX

I always think a monitor is something you keep far longer than your GPU so the fps drop is no biggie.
I'm a bit pissed off by Gsync: it's surely great, but the extra price compared to freesync and the fact the monitor can only have native res if there's gsync (obliging you to do the scaling on the GPU) really annoy me big time.

h106frp

Yep, gave up on gsync as well - too much of a cost premium. You can always lock the vsync at your lowest expected rate for a sort of 'cheapo' emulation.

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on April 07, 2017, 01:07:19 PM
Yep, gave up on gsync as well - too much of a cost premium. You can always lock the vsync at your lowest expected rate for a sort of 'cheapo' emulation.
Hmm no vsync is not an option for me, especially for games/sims that benefit from quick response.

What bothers me of gsync is that for that price, I expect something perfect, but the scaling issue (lack of is just annoying if you purchase an hi-res screen.
Freesync has no such issue (and no price premium). Pity AMD record on openGL issues is just terrible. Time for GPB to move to Vulkan :)

passerBy

Looks like something I'd be happy to have, but the price is probably over the top :/ Also, I prefer IPS derivatives 8)
Ditto on VSync. Hardly a helpful option. Not to mention the increase in the input lag usually associated with enabling it.

HornetMaX

Quote from: passerBy on April 07, 2017, 09:57:35 PM
Looks like something I'd be happy to have, but the price is probably over the top :/ Also, I prefer IPS derivatives 8)
No IPS above 100Hz at the moment. It seems to be a tough call between IPS and VA: backlight bleed and IPS glow for the first ones, ghosting for the second ones.
Hard to swallow for a 1000E+ monitor ...

passerBy

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 07, 2017, 10:24:44 PM
Quote from: passerBy on April 07, 2017, 09:57:35 PM
No IPS above 100Hz at the moment. It seems to be a tough call between IPS and VA: backlight bleed and IPS glow for the first ones, ghosting for the second ones.
Hard to swallow for a 1000E+ monitor ...
Easier for me: it's just out of my league entirely :)
Speaking of the refresh rate, so going from 60 to 144 Hz really makes that much of a difference? Even with no fancy "syncs" involved? Still have an old 60 Hz IPS. Thought about getting something more modern for a long time already. And even though bleeding and glowing can be an issue, I just don't like the picture on a typical VA. Maybe at some point we're going to get affordable quantum dots, micro-LEDs or whatever the hell else will make in onto the market :)

HornetMaX

Quote from: passerBy on April 07, 2017, 10:39:38 PM
Speaking of the refresh rate, so going from 60 to 144 Hz really makes that much of a difference? Even with no fancy "syncs" involved? Still have an old 60 Hz IPS.
Went from 60Hz to 120Hz (6 years ago) = no way back. I'm actually questioning if I'd be happy at 100Hz, but I suppose yes, especially if there's gsync or freesync.
If you can't afford anything fancy, grab aused 1080p @120/144Hz, they are relatively cheap now.

Quote from: passerBy on April 07, 2017, 10:39:38 PM
Thought about getting something more modern for a long time already. And even though bleeding and glowing can be an issue, I just don't like the picture on a typical VA. Maybe at some point we're going to get affordable quantum dots, micro-LEDs or whatever the hell else will make in onto the market :)
Quantum dot ones are appearing (there's the samsung C34F791 already out). OLED is further away (there are some pro grade ones, but for 4KE and with some drawbacks).

Quote from: h106frp on April 07, 2017, 10:50:56 PM
The LG is IPS at 144Hz  ;D   8) 
My bad, I meant IPS at 120/144Hz and 1440p. The LG also had a few issues (http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_34uc79g.htm) so to it joins the lot of "good but not quite carling" for me :)

passerBy

Quote from: h106frp on April 07, 2017, 10:50:56 PM
The LG is IPS at 144Hz  ;D   8) 

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-34uc79g-34-2560x1080-ips-freesync-144hz-curved-gaming-widescreen-led-monitor-black-red-mo-14c-lg.html
Oh, that looks like a viable option :) Still costs an arm and a leg, but at least not both arms and legs and some internal organs to boot :D

PeterV

interesting, i am considering going wide as well. was thinking about the Asus PG348Q, but now i am in doubt.  :(
Not in a rush the old one is running great as it is.