• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

[Likely not a bug] LAA and loading big tracks

Started by HornetMaX, April 10, 2017, 05:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

Recently I started to experience troubles in loading large tracks (Fuji, Nord_NDS, Nurburgring GP), GPB was simply crashing while loading the track. In some cases, lowering the replay buffer (I usually have it at 512) did help. That was a big hint that the issue was in RAM memory allocation.

Today I gave a try to the Large Address Aware stuff (LAA) and all the issues went away.

I can load any track, with any graphics setting. I can also load a track, go back to main menu and pick another track, go to track, back to menu, and pick another track ... no crash.
In some cases I've seen a total RAM usage above 4GB (total, not GPB only, for GPB only I think I've seen a max of 1.something GB).

What is a bit surprising (but it may be normal) is that after doing the LAA change, I can still join an online server.

P.S.
The issue I had was clearly not tied to GPU RAM: somebody speculated that that may be the case (I have a GTX 970, with its well know 3.5/4GB problem) but I'm positive it isn't.
I can run tracks requesting more than 3.5GB of GPU RAM fine: I've already seen a peak usage of 3.8GB without any issue (had to use DSR @ 4K resolution with maxed out settings for that ... still managed some 50fps :) ).

doubledragoncc

Great info Max. Imola has proved the problem track for me and had to run my buffer at 300

Thanks m8

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

finpower

Whoever finds google translator errors, can keep them
Intel Core i7 4770 CPU 3.40 GHz 64 Bit Windows 10
Nvidia GeForse GTX 760

HornetMaX

No real merit for me, I think that Hawk/h106frp mentioned the tool, I just gave it a try :)

Quote from: finpower on April 10, 2017, 07:38:50 PM
Hmmm and where can you adjust? 8)
Adjust what ?

Just run the tool linked, point it to gpb exe (core.exe): it will modify the .exe file (careful if you have it in a "protected" folder, you may need admin rights) to make it "Large Address Aware".
In case of troubles, you can rever the operation (or reinstall GPB on top, or everwrite the .exe with a previously saved copy of it).

Of course, it will only work if you have more than 4GB memory and win x64. Some explanations: https://helloacm.com/large-address-aware/

finpower

Thank you for the clarification.
It is too complicated for me.
Fin
Whoever finds google translator errors, can keep them
Intel Core i7 4770 CPU 3.40 GHz 64 Bit Windows 10
Nvidia GeForse GTX 760

HornetMaX

Quote from: finpower on April 10, 2017, 08:10:57 PM
Thank you for the clarification.
It is too complicated for me.
Fin
It's a few clicks, I could instruct my 9yrs old son to do it :)

matty0l215

• Launch Large Address Aware
  • Click the three dots on the right hand side of the window
  • locate core.exe in you GPBikes folder
  • Make sure the check box on step 2 is Ticked!
  • Click Save
  • Done!

I've been using this a while now and It works great for me. Previous tracks that would run slow now are playable for me :)
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Hawk

I concur... Been using this LAA tool for a while now and works great! Not had an problems with it at all.  ;)

Hawk.

doubledragoncc

Wonder if it will help with cores for online racing???????????

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

matty0l215

Can't hurt can it?

Using this hack makes us able to load larger tracks and faster, so where is the original limiting factor?

Makes you wonder if this is built on 32bit architecture? (limited to 4gb, this enables more than 4 to be used)

doubledragoncc

HornetMaX

Quote from: matty0l215 on April 10, 2017, 09:22:33 PM
Makes you wonder if this is built on 32bit architecture? (limited to 4gb, this enables more than 4 to be used)
GPB is 32bits so it won't use more than 4GB by itself no matter what.
But without LAA, it may even be limited to 2GB, including on Win x64 (check the link I posted above, there are the details).

matty0l215

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 10, 2017, 09:38:43 PM
GPB is 32bits so it won't use more than 4GB by itself no matter what.
But without LAA, it may even be limited to 2GB, including on Win x64 (check the link I posted above, there are the details).

I'll be honest, I'm not quite sure what im quite looking at. Bit beyond my knowledge :P

All I know is that with the LAA "hack" in testing we have been able to have a more stable experience with the game.

So couldn't the core.exe be altered to be 64 bit or would this require being re-built completely. Surely this would enable to game to better use resources available (Wasn't one of the issues with a Core.exe crash to do with memory limitations, maybe why we are seeing Memory usage optimization in the daily dev log?)

HornetMaX

It's all explained in the link I posted above (https://helloacm.com/large-address-aware/).

So at least for me, it seems that some crashes (ones before even reaching the track) were due to memory limitations coming from the fact GPB is 32bit: even when running on a x64 Wn, it is limited to 2GB max. Using LAA lifts that to 4GB max.

matty0l215

Ahh. That makes more sense (4gb instead of 2 i mean)

Still, native 64 bit would  be better surley?