• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:41:14 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Maximum size of map file

Started by h106frp, April 18, 2017, 02:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

Ignoring the 32 bit memory limit are their any maximum limits on map file size (objects, verts, texures) ?

I seem to hit a limit above 1GB where the game locks into a loop during track load, not core but just locking the system and can only be stopped by killing core.exe process from task manager.

Thank you

PiBoSo

There shouldn't be hard limits.
However, a track near or even over 1GB is searching for trouble.

Are you sure it's not possible to optimize it?
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

h106frp

Its a rather large and detailed track - the textures are already scaled down ^2

Kept below 1GB by removing a 3D grass detail level it loads fine every time and quite quickly, adding the grass geometry which are just double sided texures the extra modelk causes the problem. The grass layer is large due to the track length but i can live without it. The track runs very well in game with very good frame rate.

More of a problem is the random compile nature of the track surface and kerbs i mentioned in my other thread, sometimes OK and other times transparent but rideable. The texture is present and renders OK in OFF_TRK declaration so it seems to be a trackED issue as far as i can deduce.

Thank you

PiBoSo

Quote from: h106frp on April 18, 2017, 05:07:13 PM
Its a rather large and detailed track - the textures are already scaled down ^2

Kept below 1GB by removing a 3D grass detail level it loads fine every time and quite quickly, adding the grass geometry which are just double sided texures the extra modelk causes the problem. The grass layer is large due to the track length but i can live without it. The track runs very well in game with very good frame rate.

More of a problem is the random compile nature of the track surface and kerbs i mentioned in my other thread, sometimes OK and other times transparent but rideable. The texture is present and renders OK in OFF_TRK declaration so it seems to be a trackED issue as far as i can deduce.

Thank you

Why not using the built-in 3D grass feature instead of static geometry?
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

h106frp

Thats why I do not mind losing the static meshes from the model; however, my test run of the dynamic grass on another track appeared to render too close to the bike only and gave a sort of 'rolling carpet' appearance in front and behind the bike and I have not resolved where the problem is. I was using Manu's files he posted as a base and on the 'to do' list if I can reliably compile the track.

Still stumped by the transpaent track though, visible in mapview and all normals appear correct if i duck under then above the surface, but not rendered in tracked as if it is not a declared object and transaprent in game. Occasional 'lucky' build seems to work and its OK in game - very confused as I cannot see any reason this occurs. The textures effected are DDS DXT1 no MIPMAPS so not even transparent and simple, applying or removing shaders does not appear to influence the result and as I stated the same material is visible elsewhere where declared as OFF_

On the 'lucky build' the game engine appears to have no issues running the track and I have not expereinced any cores, a single normalization error when i ran the bike into an instant halt with a wire fence at top speed but this occurs on other tracks as well so it looks like it should be a good track eventually.

Thank you for the response so far, appreciated

h106frp

OK;

Upgraded RAM and the converter used a bit more.

Tried an fbx from Blender and one from MAYA imported into 3Ds but still the same problems. Track loads and runs fine but with transparent track surface and kerbs, all other textures render fine and the track texture renders fine OFF_

Weird that very occasionally it works OK with no obvious reason why

@PB would you be willing to review the files as I cannot help but think this is a .trp file problem?

Thank you