• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:34:54 PM

NVidia/OpenGL

Started by HornetMaX, May 10, 2017, 06:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vini

cool but more importantly they should get rid of that variable framerate nonsense.

passerBy

Do they still force you to create an account to use GFE?

Vini

vali_grad

Quote from: passerBy on May 10, 2017, 03:08:10 PM

yep, recently has that locked, what is so hard ? if you use YTB you have a google account...if you google people most probably you have a facebook account :)
I dont use their "optimal" settings, only read about new drivers/other stuff in the app
new sim in town ? ping me !

passerBy

Quote from: vali_grad on May 10, 2017, 03:43:33 PM

yep, recently has that locked, what is so hard ? if you use YTB you have a google account...if you google people most probably you have a facebook account :)
I dont use their "optimal" settings, only read about new drivers/other stuff in the app
The less accounts I have, the better. Also, I don't want to share details of my Google account with nVidia just because they want me to. Or did you mean it like "if you have one account, it should be ok for you to make a thousand"? That's some flawed logic. Also, I don't have a facebook account and don't understand those who do.

HornetMaX

Yes. It bothers me too, but on the other hand you're not obliged to use your google account and once you've created the GFE account, you can probably forget you have as it logs you in automatically.

To me the only news is that their recording stuff may work with GPB now.

passerBy

Quote from: HornetMaX on May 10, 2017, 06:36:43 PM
Yes. It bothers me too, but on the other hand you're not obliged to use your google account and once you've created the GFE account, you can probably forget you have as it logs you in automatically.

To me the only news is that their recording stuff may work with GPB now.
Creating accounts is a pain... But you are right. And after all, this seems to be the most fluid way of capturing.

Piboso never mentioned switching to DX? Sticking to OGL seems a little bit archaic now. Not to mention MXB is way more laggier than GPB (and than it should have been). Could probably benefit a lot from that.

Vini

Quote from: HornetMaX on May 10, 2017, 06:36:43 PMTo me the only news is that their recording stuff may work with GPB now.
that was always possible. you just had to use windowed mode and enable windows aero.
the variable framerate stuff made me switch to obs and i won't go back.

HornetMaX

Quote from: vini97 on May 10, 2017, 07:35:57 PM
Quote from: HornetMaX on May 10, 2017, 06:36:43 PMTo me the only news is that their recording stuff may work with GPB now.
that was always possible. you just had to use windowed mode and enable windows aero.
I know, but that sucked big time.

HornetMaX

Quote from: passerBy on May 10, 2017, 06:47:48 PM
Piboso never mentioned switching to DX? Sticking to OGL seems a little bit archaic now.
DX is not any newer/better than openGL.
At best, what matters is which version of openGL (or DX) the game is using (and if the engine uses the possibilities offered by the more recent versions of the API).

If I recall correctly, PiBoSo wanted to stick with openGL because its cross-platform.
He also added that porting the current engine to a more recent openGL (or Vulkan) would be a lot of work.

passerBy

Quote from: HornetMaX on May 10, 2017, 09:15:27 PM
Quote from: passerBy on May 10, 2017, 06:47:48 PM
Piboso never mentioned switching to DX? Sticking to OGL seems a little bit archaic now.
DX is not any newer/better than openGL.
At best, what matters is which version of openGL (or DX) the game is using (and if the engine uses the possibilities offered by the more recent versions of the API).
DX is closer to the hardware, at least in Windows. And if I can remember correctly, you can't have exclusive full screen access in the pure OGL under Windows without resorting to DirectDraw surfaces. Or did something change over the years?

QuoteIf I recall correctly, PiBoSo wanted to stick with openGL because its cross-platform.
He also added that porting the current engine to a more recent openGL (or Vulkan) would be a lot of work.
For a sim series that sticks to Windows, that can hardly be seen as a right decision, unless he has plans to open a Linux branch.
As for the porting process, I guess so. Maybe switching to some other readily available graphics engine would be worth it? After all, GPB's or even MXB's looks are not something I would consider worth retaining, and I can't even use MXB in full graphics, because that adds to the input lag considerably. Even having 60 fps in it has that effect. And I have a feeling that OGL could be partially responsible for that.

h106frp

DirectX and OpenGL only expose the capabilities of the graphics hardware to the OS, its up to the driver/SDK/developer to make good use of them  :)

passerBy

Quote from: h106frp on May 11, 2017, 04:01:00 PM
DirectX and OpenGL only expose the capabilities of the graphics hardware to the OS, its up to the driver/SDK/developer to make good use of them  :)
But as far as I can remember, OGL doesn't do that straightforwardly enough... After all, if you want better cross-platform capabilities, you have to give up something... like the performance :)
Though as far as I can remember from my own experiments with both interfaces, DX can be a handful to deal with. On the other hand, using OGL I had to deal with DirectDraw surfaces, so it was still a bother :) I was doing that when DirectX was still version 3, I believe, so I'm not sure if there was any refinement of usability done to either.

Speaking about drivers, it should be safe to assume that DX is better supported than OGL... Correct me if I'm wrong.

HornetMaX

Only things that are really closer to the hardware are probably DX12 and Vulkan (ex Mantle). But to run these you do need a recent GPU.

Anyway, even if OGL has drawbacks over DX (9/10/11, which to be honest didn't seem to be PiBoSo's point of view), the work is already done in GPB/KRP/MXB/WRS to cope with that.
So, unless there's a big incentive in moving ....

A Linux/MacOS version was something PiBoSo indeed mentioned (as a possibility, nothing confirmed).