• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:55:16 PM

NVidia/OpenGL

Started by HornetMaX, May 10, 2017, 06:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

passerBy

Quote from: HornetMaX on May 11, 2017, 04:47:19 PM
Only things that are really closer to the hardware are probably DX12 and Vulkan (ex Mantle). But to run these you do need a recent GPU.
And that's why it could be worth moving to a recent GPU. Luckily, we both have a recent enough one (you also got a GTX 970, as far as I can remember).

QuoteAnyway, even if OGL has drawbacks over DX (9/10/11, which to be honest didn't seem to be PiBoSo's point of view), the work is already done in GPB/KRP/MXB/WRS to cope with that.
So, unless there's a big incentive in moving ....
Well, I'd say switching to 64 bit is more important, of course. But seeing how poorly MXB, which looks marginally better than GPB, performs on my 970, I can't help but think that a better graphical engine/newer API might help a lot with that.
I suppose you also own a copy of MXB. What do you think of its performance?

QuoteA Linux/MacOS version was something PiBoSo indeed mentioned (as a possibility, nothing confirmed).
That's interesting. Would prefer switching to Linux when it comes to simming, but it doesn't seem to properly support FFB.

HornetMaX

Quote from: passerBy on May 11, 2017, 05:17:11 PM
You get lower FPSs than GPB, but MXB tracks have deformation, that's probably what makes it go down.
I cannot judge if moving to a more recent openGL o(or DX) would make this any better, but it's not sure that the culprit is the old openGL.

passerBy

Quote from: HornetMaX on May 11, 2017, 05:30:24 PM
You get lower FPSs than GPB, but MXB tracks have deformation, that's probably what makes it go down.
I cannot judge if moving to a more recent openGL o(or DX) would make this any better, but it's not sure that the culprit is the old openGL.
After unchecking the checkboxes in the Lighting block, turning the 3D Grass off and bringing the Textures down to Medium, I'm getting the same silky smooth performance I'm used to in GPB (and even higher, according to the frame rate indicator). Doesn't look like the problem might lie with the deformable terrain. Also, I think that the Afterburner showed that my GPU had quite a problem processing the graphics, while my i5 was pretty much slacking it off.

It's a real pity to bring MXB's already not very impressive looks to the level of MXS', but it looks like with it I need every single millisecond of input lag removed in order to ride those bikes in DS, and for some reason it's quite noticeable even at 60 fps on the mouse alone. Well, the question of input lag still remains somewhat an arcane knowledge to me. Probably has something to do with my computer monitor being very old (at least it's still a good flat panel).

HornetMaX

Quote from: passerBy on May 11, 2017, 06:36:33 PM
Quote from: HornetMaX on May 11, 2017, 05:30:24 PM
After unchecking the checkboxes in the Lighting block, turning the 3D Grass off and bringing the Textures down to Medium, I'm getting the same silky smooth performance I'm used to in GPB (and even higher, according to the frame rate indicator). Doesn't look like the problem might lie with the deformable terrain.
Don't see why you say that. Maybe the def terrain puts extra load on the GPU and to get back your fpss you need to switch off other stuff.
Def terrain aside, I doubt the the graphic engine behind MXB is very different from the one behind GPB.

h106frp

Has anyone tried LAA with MXB?

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on May 11, 2017, 09:18:18 PM
Works fine for me. I've activated it on all Pib's sims :)

passerBy

Quote from: HornetMaX on May 11, 2017, 06:52:13 PM
Don't see why you say that. Maybe the def terrain puts extra load on the GPU and to get back your fpss you need to switch off other stuff.
Def terrain aside, I doubt the the graphic engine behind MXB is very different from the one behind GPB.
That thought crossed my mind too, but considering the way it seems to work, I doubt it takes much more overhead than LiveTrack-alikes in any other sims. Also, Piboso would probably need to utilize OpenCL to make it affect the GPU that much (and I suspect the results would look more immediate and realistic).
The MXB's engine doesn't seem to look all that different from the rest of them in the majority of situations. Yet, when I was watching my replay at the Enduro track on max settings, it looked noticeably better than anything I've seen in GPB so far. The fps would drop to as low as 40, though.

To be honest, RX tracks in WRS seemed to introduce some lag as well. Maybe in the end the culprit is the deformations indeed. But then again, the Lighting settings seem to have the biggest hit (trees shadows?). There should be a way to turn the deformations off somehow and check how it behaves without them.

Quote from: h106frp on May 11, 2017, 09:18:18 PM
Same as Max: have LAA activated in the other sims too beside MXB. I can't say I see a lot of difference performance-wise, but at least it should help with replays.

Vini

Just installed the new driver and even though the FPS counter and all the other GeForce Experience stuff shows up in game (full screen), nothing happens when I press record.

Can anybody else test the new ShadowPlay with GP Bikes?

tchemi

I just activated shadowplay recently and, indeed, I saw an nvidia overlay appearing in most games but not GPBIKES. Also, nvidia hints me to press Alt + z to begin the record (azerty keyboard, may be another combo with qwerty) not Ctrl...

doubledragoncc

Will test it soon as shows in my GPB but not tried recording

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

HornetMaX

Quote from: vini97 on May 23, 2017, 01:40:16 PM
Just installed the new driver and even though the FPS counter and all the other GeForce Experience stuff shows up in game (full screen), nothing happens when I press record.

Can anybody else test the new ShadowPlay with GP Bikes?
Works fine for me, can record (fullscreen, no borderless window stuff).
Impact seems also to be very low (need to test more but it seems I can record and ride seriously at the same time, even when using DSR x4, i.e. GPU rendering at 4K, then down-sampling at 1080p for the display and then down-sampling again at 720p for the video capture).

File sizes seems big however, even at lower settings (but I need to check this too).

Win 7x64, GTX 970, latest NVidia drivers.

tchemi

Tested it.

None of the keyboard shortcut works. Have to go back to the desktop and turn it on manually  :-\

HornetMaX

Quote from: tchemi on May 24, 2017, 09:34:21 PM
Tested it.

None of the keyboard shortcut works. Have to go back to the desktop and turn it on manually  :-\
Strange. Do you have overlays ? Do you have other software using overlays running (e.g. MSI Afterburner) ? Do you have other software for screen recording running ? Any post processing (e.g. reshade) ?

Vini

Are you "connected" to any account in the "Share" settings, Max?

HornetMaX

Quote from: vini97 on May 25, 2017, 11:57:52 AM
Are you "connected" to any account in the "Share" settings, Max?
I only connect with my nvidia account, that's all (it autoconnects any time in fact).
Tried to uninstall everything (with DDU) and reinstall latest drivers ?