• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:43:54 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Track Rotation - the right way?

Started by dibu, January 11, 2014, 10:03:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamoZ

To be honest, i have seen a general decrease of players overall this week. Usually these kinds of things happen when a game gets modded, things tend to get divided a bit more and not everyone will always be happy to ride  a certain mod or to put in the effort to download stuff to stay up to date. Look at the italian guys like ALEale, oDi & Buggi, all they ride at the moment is their scooter mod, and that`s perfectly understandable & fine.

Imo this is nothing to worry about since people just need to get used a bit to new things like track rotation & server versions. We can`t keep changing everything every week, that will scare people off in the long run. We should just stick to the format we have now so people will get used to it and see how it works out in the long run.

Arvoss

Quote from: JamoZ on January 11, 2014, 03:22:29 PM
To be honest, i have seen a general decrease of players overall this week. Usually these kinds of things happen when a game gets modded, things tend to get divided a bit more and not everyone will always be happy to ride  a certain mod or to put in the effort to download stuff to stay up to date. Look at the italian guys like ALEale, oDi & Buggi, all they ride at the moment is their scooter mod, and that`s perfectly understandable & fine.

Imo this is nothing to worry about since people just need to get used a bit to new things like track rotation & server versions. We can`t keep changing everything every week, that will scare people off in the long run. We should just stick to the format we have now so people will get used to it and see how it works out in the long run.

100% true, I got a lot of data mismatches the last 2 weeks because of the new bike updates. I have to look for the MEGA site and download all the bikes again. Is it really necessary to host a lobby with the full bike mod? No. Just host lobbies with 1 or 2 bikes OR make a 'DLC' like MOTOGP 2014 and host a lobby with that mod. There are too much bike updates at the moment...

Hawk

Quote from: Arvoss on January 11, 2014, 03:31:14 PM

100% true, I got a lot of data mismatches the last 2 weeks because of the new bike updates. I have to look for the MEGA site and download all the bikes again. Is it really necessary to host a lobby with the full bike mod? No. Just host lobbies with 1 or 2 bikes OR make a 'DLC' like MOTOGP 2014 and host a lobby with that mod. There are too much bike updates at the moment...

As I understand things now. Jamoz has provided a folder in the MEGA account to allow separate downloads so the community doesn't have to download the whole Multi Bike Mod for each update, but just the bike that has been updated at the time.

Also, I believe that JamoZ is now co-ordinating the updates with dibu so that the Mod Bike online servers will be updated as any Multi Bike Mods are released, to try and avoid any data mismatches on the servers as much as possible.

Arvoss

Quote from: Hawk_UK on January 11, 2014, 03:42:01 PM
Quote from: Arvoss on January 11, 2014, 03:31:14 PM

As I understand things now. Jamoz has provided a folder in the MEGA account to allow separate downloads so the community doesn't have to download the whole Multi Bike Mod for each update, but just the bike that has been updated at the time.

Also, I believe that JamoZ is now co-ordinating the updates with dibu so that the Mod Bike online servers will be updated as any Multi Bike Mods are released, to try and avoid any data mismatches on the servers as much as possible.

I know I can download each bike separately but I don't see the point to allow every bike on 1 track. Scooter, SSP, 1000cc...

JamoZ

It`s just a matter of staying up to date which isn`t that hard. Keep track of the Bike Mod thread, and download any new bikes added simply from the Lite Folder. This week just the R6 was updated, so just grab only the R6. I`m uploading a complete pack at the moment with all the new paints & bike versions included. If you grab this you know you are 100% up to date and you don`t have to worry about versions.

This new pack doesn`t have to be coordinated with Dibu as it`s just a update to the pack with already up to date content. The Lite pack is what`s being updated instantly if a new version is released as these are only small downloads & uploads.

I`m not responsible for any track data mismatches ;)

Hawk

Quote from: Arvoss on January 11, 2014, 03:47:52 PM
I know I can download each bike separately but I don't see the point to allow every bike on 1 track. Scooter, SSP, 1000cc...

I personally think it's more fun when other bikes are on track all at once... It makes it like a track test day, something I used to attend quite a lot when I was younger.  ;D

dibu

Imo it's not a matter of getting used to it. The way track rotation works atm is ok for the Cold Turkey server where Peter is most time online too. For the normal servers it's a pain for the user as long as we aren't able to do a direct track selection.

I supported the change a week ago but now after seeing the disadvantages I've also no problem to change my mind again.

JamoZ

Well, whatever works best. If you think the old way worked better, then go for it...

Hawk

Quote from: dibu on January 11, 2014, 04:01:35 PM
I supported the change a week ago but now after seeing the disadvantages I've also no problem to change my mind again.

I must admit, I did find it a pain to have to race and then have to wait till the race had finished it's countdown if a change of track was wanted.

I would say that if there is no way to directly change a track by any other means(as I gather there isn't), then I say go back to the way it was. ;)

Arvoss

Quote from: Hawk_UK on January 11, 2014, 04:13:31 PM

I must admit, I did find it a pain to have to race and then have to wait till the race had finished it's countdown if a change of track was wanted.

I would say that if there is no way to directly change a track by any other means(as I gather there isn't), then I say go back to the way it was. ;)

PiBoSo should add 'track' to the poll options. Then we could use track rotation properly.

JamoZ

If we go back to the old way, i would like to see only servers with ridable tracks. There is no need to host 10 servers with tracks noone ever rides, or that are just unridable.

dibu

Quote from: JamoZ on January 11, 2014, 04:19:30 PM
If we go back to the old way, i would like to see only servers with ridable tracks. There is no need to host 10 servers with tracks noone ever rides, or that are just unridable.
Unridable tracks are exactly where I need your help. You know I'm everything but not a talented rider  ::) and a track which is fine with a car in WRS might be unridable with a bike. I'll try to keep the number of servers low and if you see a 'bad' track it's no problem to tell me. ;)

Hawk

Quote from: JamoZ on January 11, 2014, 04:19:30 PM

I agree with you JamoZ. But I fear(If we take a track like Victoria as the benchmark for rideability) that would mean around 80% of the tracks being deleted. LOL

If I can get hold of the track model files, I would like to upload them to a Mega Database for anyone who would like to sort out those unridable tracks, to do so.

I think half the problem with getting good tracks created is that to make one from scratch is a VERY lot of hard work and takes time, and for people to get hold of the original ripped/converted track 3DSMax files is not easy unless you know someone who has already got them, and that information is not well known or publicised.

There are a lot of talented people in this community(Very lucky to have them!), I guess it's a case of people trying to find the spare time to work on these tracks with work and family responsibilities that take priority, so maybe if these track model files were made available for others to download and give it a try then maybe things would progress at a faster pace? :)

JamoZ

I think a bad track is something that`s different from rider to rider. A track may be perfectly fine if you are 4 seconds off pace, but when you are putting the hammer down and riding on the limit you easily see the flaws in a track.

Example : Alot of people flag the old Barcelona track as unridable, but for me it`s one of the best tracks out there and i have no problems riding it fast. But that`s just me...

Hawk

Quote from: JamoZ on January 11, 2014, 05:01:27 PM
I think a bad track is something that`s different from rider to rider. A track may be perfectly fine if you are 4 seconds off pace, but when you are putting the hammer down and riding on the limit you easily see the flaws in a track.

Example : Alot of people flag the old Barcelona track as unridable, but for me it`s one of the best tracks out there and i have no problems riding it fast. But that`s just me...

Absolutely agree with you about peoples opinion of what track is bad and not. Personally I feel any track that has any corners that it is like having to ride on egg shells to get around them without falling off(because of crazy bumps) should be classed as a bad track. Bumpy straights, although not ideal by any means, are not too bad as we are all well capable of coping with them even flat out. It's the corner surfaces that need priority for sorting out on most of these tracks we have.