• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:36:53 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Track Rotation - the right way?

Started by dibu, January 11, 2014, 10:03:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dibu

January 11, 2014, 10:03:28 AM Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:06:34 AM by dibu
We used track rotation at the servers for one week now.
The idea was to have more players concentrated to a smaller amount of servers but it seems to me that it results in less online players at the servers. The track rotation option hasn't been used at all. Most people drive their laps and leave the server but track change only happens after finishing a race. Especially newcomers probabely don't know how to change tracks. The option to use 'Quick Race' settings could help but I'm not sure if everybody likes it.

What's your impression/opinion? Should we continue this way or go back to more single track servers?

Hawk

January 11, 2014, 10:34:01 AM #1 Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:36:47 AM by Hawk_UK
Hi Dibu.

I agree with what you said above there.

Is there a way any rider can start a vote to change track, even if they are the only rider on server at the time? To me that would be the ideal solution, as riders could come online knowing that if they want to ride a particular track online then the chance is that they will always be able to find another empty server to do that even if the vote on the current server they are in is outvoted for no change. :)

PeterV

I made a sort of an effort for some kind of option to choose tracks here...
http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=461.0

BozoCRO

Please remove the warmup lap and sighting lap. It's a waste of 10 minutes and only makes people messup start position lineup. Then we have to restart the race...and another 10 minutes wasted

PeterV

Quote from: BozoCRO on January 11, 2014, 10:51:41 AM
Please remove the warmup lap and sighting lap. It's a waste of 10 minutes and only makes people messup start position lineup. Then we have to restart the race...and another 10 minutes wasted

My personal opinion... Learn how to use it. That would save everyone a lot of time. Its not that hard, park in the box and dont move untill its time.  ;)
Servers which i launch (Cold Turkey or Old School)  will have sightninglap and warmuplap on.

Hawk

Quote from: PeterV on January 11, 2014, 10:46:22 AM
I made a sort of an effort for some kind of option to choose tracks here...
http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=461.0

"Déjà vu"!!

They say that that great minds think alike Peter!  :P ;D

Hawk

Quote from: PeterV on January 11, 2014, 10:58:54 AM

My personal opinion... Learn how to use it. That would save everyone a lot of time. Its not that hard, park in the box and dont move untill its time.  ;)
Servers which i launch (Cold Turkey or Old School)  will have sightninglap and warmuplap on.

I agree with you, Peter. Not knowing how to do something correctly is not an excuse to drop a facility.

I personally feel it adds to the tension and atmosphere of the occasion. ;D

Stout Johnson

January 11, 2014, 11:56:17 AM #7 Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 12:08:20 PM by Stout Johnson

Servers which i launch (Cold Turkey or Old School)  will have sightning lap and warmup lap on.

Couldn't agree more, nice to see you promoting the same policy here Peter! What are warmup lap and sighting lap for irl? --> to warm up tyres, get a feeling for the track and to get into a mind-set for the race. And racing in GPB as a sim is quite challenging, so I like to prepare myself in the same way as irl (dunno if running sightning lap and warmup lap really helps warming tyres in GPB, but it should, it's a sim :); but in order to get into a mind-set for a race it is great)...

Anyone remember the SRC500? We didnt have sighting laps then and it was a mess sometimes... entering a race 1min after qualify with a 180 heart rate isnt a good way to start a race. And also people were more inclined to try to vote for a race re-start over and over when many crashes happened in first corners - my feeling is that now people are more aware that this one race start is the one and only race start (cause nobody wants to wait another 10 mins for next possible race start) and they are more careful in first crowded corners - last race in Cota showed it... not many crashes considering the density of the field.

Like Peter said, the only thing that is demanded here, is people know how the procedure of warm-up and sighting lap works and where to get on the grid (in time! ;) ) the whole week before a race there is always a server for that particular track where people can have small test races over the week and can practice the starting procedure. Imho, if someone wants to do a race it shouldn't be asked too much to understand how this works  ;)

-----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

dibu

Quote from: Hawk_UK on January 11, 2014, 10:34:01 AM
Is there a way any rider can start a vote to change track, even if they are the only rider on server at the time?

You can  vote even if you are alone at the track. '!poll start race' works but it's to complicated to do track changes this way.
It takes much time because you have to wait until you are retired from race and the countdown for the server restart delay is over. Also you don't know which track is next without looking at the forum. That's all not good for the acceptance of casual players.

The only solution is a system like PeterV proposed.

BozoCRO

I generally dont have a problem with it. But with 5 or more players in the race at least one will make an error, maybe even unintentially. Shit happends, guys fall when alligning at the start position or something. This makes sense in real racing where we have spectators who want to see their stars waiving at them and also as a safety messure in case some screw isnt tight or something similar. We dont have bike malfunctions or the audience in the game. An average race lasts about 15 minutes, and we spend minimal od 10 minutes (if everything goes fine) riding around slowly for no reason at all.
I think it's pointless.

nuovaic

I guess it matters on how the racing side of GP bikes is viewed. I look at it as a simulation, not a 'game'. If sighting and warmup are in real racing, then I think they should be here too.

@Dibu, I am mourning the loss of the other hotlap servers! I know the 500 and 125 were not so popular, but 1000 was. I found it interesting to compare bikes and sector times at the same track..
Hotlap and Cold Turkey is enough to keep me busy, track rotation servers not needed in my opinion.

nuovaic

Only thing I would like to see is no race restarts, that is the single most infuriating thing, when you have gone through all the procedure, sighting and warmup, clutch in, red lights, heart rate up, tense,  nose on the screen, (!) fierce grin on the face, sweat pouring from hands, then someone asks for a restart. ARGHHH!

Stout Johnson

Quote from: dibu on January 11, 2014, 11:58:54 AM
[...]
It takes much time because you have to wait until you are retired from race and the countdown for the server restart delay is over. Also you don't know which track is next without looking at the forum. That's all not good for the acceptance of casual players.

The only solution is a system like PeterV proposed.

I agree 100%, the other solution will not find much acceptance from casual players....
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

Arvoss

January 11, 2014, 02:52:13 PM #13 Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 02:54:39 PM by Arvoss

I'm a fan of the sighting lap and the warm up lap too BUT sometimes I have a jumpstart because of the connection/lag. And this sucks.

@PiBoSo, is it possible to let 'jumpstarters' start from the pit after failing the start? So we don't have to restart the race and do the sighting lap and warm up lap again...

Hawk

Quote from: nuovaic on January 11, 2014, 01:23:01 PM

Only thing I would like to see is no race restarts, that is the single most infuriating thing, when you have gone through all the procedure, sighting and warmup, clutch in, red lights, heart rate up, tense,  nose on the screen, (!) fierce grin on the face, sweat pouring from hands, then someone asks for a restart. ARGHHH!

The only time I'd agree with a race restart is because someone has had a core.exe before the start and wouldn't be able to make the start otherwise(Core.exe after the start is just bad luck and the race should carry on till end), and it really would not be fair to them to start the race without them knowing it was not their fault that they cannot at least make the start of the race.