• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 01:43:48 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Sliding

Started by Become dust, June 01, 2017, 01:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Become dust

Rear wheel sliding anyone? Happens to me every so often, but what i was wondering about is, is it possible to slide through an entire corner? Like... Casey Stoner style cornering.... speaking of Casey how was he able to control it??? Was he just going full throttle and let traction control do the work or what?

CapeDoctor

it is possible, yes - but you need to be a true master, like Stoner, lol.
it's certainly not a full throttle thing, but careful control of the throttle to just keep it in that sweet spot where it's sliding, but not too much that it slides away from you. a balancing act.....
you might try with worn tires, it's quite easy to slide the rear a lot then.... so you can practice.
i've pulled off a few awesome slides myself, but mostly they are not planned....
i first need to perfect staying on the bike normally, before i start experimenting with stunt riding :D

Become dust

Quote from: CapeDoctor on June 01, 2017, 05:07:12 AM
it is possible, yes - but you need to be a true master, like Stoner, lol.
it's certainly not a full throttle thing, but careful control of the throttle to just keep it in that sweet spot where it's sliding, but not too much that it slides away from you. a balancing act.....
you might try with worn tires, it's quite easy to slide the rear a lot then.... so you can practice.
i've pulled off a few awesome slides myself, but mostly they are not planned....
i first need to perfect staying on the bike normally, before i start experimenting with stunt riding :D

admittedly going full Casey Stoner is not a walk in the park and for most of us it is indeed not planned, but it is still fascinating that riders are capable of "drifting" with high efficiency it's not really drifting but more power sliding but that is another discussion for another day

CapeDoctor

as i mentioned, i found that using a worn/hot rear tire was a pretty easy way for me to get the hang of the power-slide type drifting.
at least, a good way to get used to how the bike behaves with a sliding rear   ;)

tchemi

IMO the best bike to learn that is the KTM RC8 SBK with hard tyres with a lot of pressure in them.
You just have to remember that when your pop the throtlle in the middle of the turn, you should not be leaned at 100% or you will do a high side.

And, to answer your question, yes ! Yes it is basically full throttle. It's called a powerslide

Vini

June 01, 2017, 08:22:33 AM #5 Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 08:39:42 AM by vini97
Yes, I do it in many corner exits to tighten the line. Obviously works best with a lot of power, no TC/AW and a high tail.
It's not quite realistic in GPB, though: The slide needs to be induced at high lean angle and then (almost at the same time) stand the bike up. If you stand the bike up before giving the bike throttle, you won't get a proper slide, unless the tyres are completely gone.
To hold big slides, you have to cut the throttle after the rear steps out and then quickly apply it again to continue the slide and avoid a highside.

Edit: In first and second gear, you can also start a slide at less lean angle but this is not the way to go if your goal are fast lap times.

Become dust

Quote from: vini97 on June 01, 2017, 08:22:33 AM
Yes, I do it in many corner exits to tighten the line. Obviously works best with a lot of power, no TC/AW and a high tail.
It's not quite realistic in GPB, though: The slide needs to be induced at high lean angle and then (almost at the same time) stand the bike up. If you stand the bike up before giving the bike throttle, you won't get a proper slide, unless the tyres are completely gone.
To hold big slides, you have to cut the throttle after the rear steps out and then quickly apply it again to continue the slide and avoid a highside.

interesting... but how does the "rider" adjust for sliding? I noticed in a lot of my slides I was weaving left and right in the middle of the turn is it my error or is the rider just inherently overcorrecting? (pretty sure its me but just out of curiosity i wanted to know)

Vini

To keep the slide controlled and smooth you have to control the virtual rider by adjusting your lean input.
Lower direct lean values might make this a bit harder because the connection between your input and the steering is less direct.

Become dust

June 01, 2017, 08:48:36 AM #8 Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 08:50:27 AM by Become dust
Quote from: vini97 on June 01, 2017, 08:35:32 AM
To keep the slide controlled and smooth you have to control the virtual rider by adjusting your lean input.
Lower direct lean values might make this a bit harder because the connection between your input and the steering is less direct.

huh? I'm convinced more direct lean input would make it more difficult? TBH I don't have the experience with sliding to know that sorta stuff

Vini

You have to keep the virtual rider from overcorrecting all the time so quick steering responses are necessary.

Become dust

Quote from: vini97 on June 01, 2017, 08:56:24 AM
You have to keep the virtual rider from overcorrecting all the time so quick steering responses are necessary.

aha

Become dust

so 100% direct steer means the rider wont correct as much? it feels like as soon as i let go it just sits right back up :o

Vini

June 01, 2017, 09:23:19 AM #12 Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 09:28:00 AM by vini97
no it means you can react quicker to the virtual rider and/or the bike.

probably even more useful for braking when the rear is sliding around.

Become dust

Quote from: vini97 on June 01, 2017, 09:23:19 AM
no it means you can react quicker to the virtual rider and/or the bike.

probably even more useful for braking when the rear is sliding around.

hmmm... I ride with 15% when thinking about it I guess that setting is not ideal for sliding, if we pretend I decide to practice it

Become dust

tried out the yamaha 2017 with hard tires and high psi pretty fun to do! did some nice skids on the exits but they only lasted like... 2 seconds at max XD but it did skid which i find alot of enjoyment in :D

that leaves me wondering.... whats the benefit? what advantage does it give you when you slide????