Author Topic: Just a quick question ..  (Read 820 times)

KliPPiE

• View Profile
Re: Just a quick question ..
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2017, 02:09:32 PM »
Some of the fastest guys in GPB only uses default setups.
No way you can shortcut the learning curve.

not to be competitive is no fun
Learning, and being faster as you progress is fun and rewarding

we all dont have the time to sit an figure out bike setups
Im sorry, but then GPB is not you bike sim.

Thats uncalled for to say warlock as experianced as you , you should help explain setup to him so he can make a quick one ...
Kind Regards
KliPPiE

KliPPiE

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2017, 02:10:31 PM »
or be able to make one quickly give him a base setup i have a setup that works for all bikes and all tracks well i use it as a base
Kind Regards
KliPPiE

Napalm Nick

• #68 NICKED-IT RACING - STEAL THE FINISH LINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 02:29:12 PM »
The fast guys usually call the setups "Placebo setups" lol and claim they ride on default but they must play with the drivetrain I'm sure. Setting the correct gearing to the track is possibly the most important thing to get right.

After that I usually concentrate on ride height and preload settings to find a good balance between under/oversteer and braking stability -especially if any of the hard braking is on a downhill stretch.

Took me 8 months of considerable playing to become competent and I am still 4 seconds behind the aliens on an average track but I am in the mix with............ normal people.  ::)
Owners Club Racing
CAWS Member

Mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2017, 03:21:45 PM »
The fast guys usually call the setups "Placebo setups" lol and claim they ride on default but they must play with the drivetrain I'm sure. Setting the correct gearing to the track is possibly the most important thing to get right.

After that I usually concentrate on ride height and preload settings to find a good balance between under/oversteer and braking stability -especially if any of the hard braking is on a downhill stretch.

Took me 8 months of considerable playing to become competent and I am still 4 seconds behind the aliens on an average track but I am in the mix with............ normal people.  ::)

Napalm,
Sheesh, I have a basic understanding of setting up suspensions and such, the drivetrain however is something I cannot get right. I seem to mess it up quite easily and I can't find any literature on how to set this up or at least that I can understand.  :( 

Meyer#12

• Danish roadracer
    • View Profile
    • Fuld-rulle
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 03:57:31 PM »
It takes a lot of hours in this game to get to the top!

When i started i was learning fast due to real life track experience and a lot of hours in various different racing games. Still took a whole bunch of practice and frustration.

It took me few months for me then i was midfield and one of the faster non-aliens. It was first when i entered my first championship (moto3 championship a few years back. That i really started to get it together for this game.

Pretty much only using default setup or the ones i got from the aliens, slowly i was getting there and towards the end of the championship i was getting up there and in QP i could almost do the same laps. In race i crashed a little too much, but pace was within a few tenths of the aliens :)

The journey there is tough and i can't tell what i do differently, it is like riding a bike in rea life, you can't always tell what you do different than the others, but still you are faster :)

Keep practicing guys and you will get there eventually! And don't bother too much with setup, that is not what makes the aliens go so much faster ;)
Meyer#12

Napalm Nick

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2017, 04:29:13 PM »
Agree dont set all your hopes on setup. Style is your thrust.

Mikey - dont over complicate it. Set the gears to have redline in 6th by the end of the fastest straight, using the sprocket ratio (not individual gears).
Then see if any corners are asking for too many Revs or are on the edge of needing gear changes and adjust individual gears as required.

But.....there is NO POINT touching the other parts of the setup if you havent reached a consistent laptime that will show a definite change for a change in setup. Practice getting consistent with a good gearing then fine tune with the setup.

Sometimes you will spend a day tweaking then start again from default horribly frustrated 😤 hehe thats just like real life. What a sim!
Owners Club Racing
CAWS Member

Napalm Nick

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2017, 04:51:23 PM »
Sorry drifting off topic somewhat.

Once KRP is released and netcode becomes a point of thrust again with some measureable improvement the watchers will be back im sure.
Owners Club Racing
CAWS Member

Warlock

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2017, 09:26:34 PM »
But.....there is NO POINT touching the other parts of the setup if you havent reached a consistent laptime that will show a definite change for a change in setup. Practice getting consistent with a good gearing then fine tune with the setup.

Exactly, don't touch it until you can do 10 laps in a row with max a half a second difference between laptimes.
You may discover you go faster and faster without touching the setup, what means you still have to master the track and best lines. Once you hit a wall in laptimes where you cant improve, make 1 single change in setup , and back to the track, 10 more laps, see if its bettor or not.

Setup won't make you faster per se , but more comfortable with your riding style so you can push further and make the bike go to where you intend it to go (if where you pretend it to go is the best line).
And this is why most other guys setup won't fit you, everyone rides different, different braking points, different cornering line, more aggresive, more smooth, V shape, U shape. Sacrificing corner entry for better exit or viceversa, etc.

Mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2017, 05:42:09 AM »
Thanks Napalm/Warlock/Meyer ;)

Yeah, that totally makes sense.
I will try exactly that.  ;D
At the moment I only tinker with the suspension to help with hard braking, so that the rear of the bike stays a little more stable and in-turn makes me feel more confident with braking hard.
What a sim indeed! As frustrating as it is because of the learning curve and the constant crashes as well as being (on Victoria) 4 to 5 seconds behind the best time on the leader boards when I'm doing 1'30.5's (With Manu's MotoGP YZF-M1)  at best, there is definitely an awesome sense of achievement that keeps me coming back.
Thanks for the advice guys.
Much appreciated.  8)

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 05:45:36 AM by Mikey »

CapeDoctor

• ...taking fun seriously since 1968...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2017, 06:19:01 AM »
Mikey, i'm planning to host a server for the SA guys, soon as i can figure out why my GPB keeps crashing each time i try to host.
then it'll be easy for us to share setups and stuff, but basically as the other guys here have already said - other than the drive ratio, all the other tinkering is a personal thing.
depends on your ride style, the particular bike, and probably lots of other factors.
when i first got some setups to work from, i found the bike to be almost unrideable.
then i changed some suspension settings to the complete opposite of what it had been, and instantly it was rideable again.
so yeah, just keep tinkering. it'll start coming together eventually.  :D

grimm

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2017, 06:29:52 AM »
I've never really gotten into lap times on GPB, but I can say for a fact that practice really does give a sense of where to go slow and where to make up the pace. Some sections require a bit more caution and care to negotiate properly in order to get a good lap time. I've never really even wanted to get into online racing on GPB due to the netcode issues, but once it's solved I'll be at the back of the pack with the rest of you that can't hit alien pace.  ;)

ziyaad

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2017, 06:58:50 AM »
Hey hey warlock! No need to get personal, i did not say i dnt know how i said i dnt have the time. Dont get me wrong im having fun and i'll Whip ur ASS soon enough  ;)

Mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2017, 07:31:09 AM »
Mikey, i'm planning to host a server for the SA guys, soon as i can figure out why my GPB keeps crashing each time i try to host.
then it'll be easy for us to share setups and stuff, but basically as the other guys here have already said - other than the drive ratio, all the other tinkering is a personal thing.
depends on your ride style, the particular bike, and probably lots of other factors.
when i first got some setups to work from, i found the bike to be almost unrideable.
then i changed some suspension settings to the complete opposite of what it had been, and instantly it was rideable again.
so yeah, just keep tinkering. it'll start coming together eventually.  :D

Hey Doc,

That's sounding awesome, can't wait to get on the track with you guys!!
I'd better start learning some other tracks then. I've done 500 plus laps on Victoria and much, much less on Mugello, those are the only two tracks I've given time to on GPB.
I've only been around for a month or so, LOL. Noob to the max.
Oh yeah and  I've only tried a handful, at most, of the bikes.
My thinking is that I'll try ride the harder more powerful MotoGP bikes, so that when I ride something a little less volatile, it might be a bit easier.
I normally like to throw myself into the deep end a bit and learn something a little harder with less margin for error so that when I make a step down it's less intense.
But this being a bike SIM and all, I'm fully aware that other less powerful bikes (if I may) also have steep learning curve and are totally different beasts to try wrap your head around.
Funny story about a setup of mine is that I did a setup, changed the parameters from the standard setup little by little and one at a time until it became rideable and gave me some added confidence which I used for say 150 to 200 laps (on Victoria, LOL) didn't play for two days, came back to practice and my setup and bike were un-rideable. So started from the beginning again, made fewer changes to the suspension, and I can ride 1'30.8 to 1'31.8's for about 3 to 4 laps in a row without crashing.

Weird but wonderful aint it. I think so anyways. ;D   
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 09:13:19 AM by Mikey »