• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 09:31:06 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Help me please before I lose my marbles!!!

Started by Joeski, August 05, 2017, 02:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joeski

I'm sure i'm not alone here, but as a newbie to GPB, and simulators/PC gaming in general...i'm really struggling!

I downloaded GPB back in February and feel like i've progressed about 0.2%...if my GPB timeline was evolution, i'd still be bacteria floating around in the ocean.

I've played it on and off since Feb, totalling probably around 300 laps of Victoria...i'd say 5-10% of those are without crashing. As a general rule I probably crash 2-3 times a lap, which means i'm now great at doing u-turns and slow manouvers....but let's face it, i'm not here to do my CBT.

I've tried slow and steady and i've tried riding the bike pretending i'm Rossi. I've tried stock 600's, 125 2 strokes, GP, moto2 bikes but it just seems like luck if I complete a lap without crashing no matter how or what I ride.

So i'm here asking....begging...pleading for any tips for a complete rookie like me - please, before my laptop feels the wrath of the living room window!!

I dunno, maybe I should just stick to watching motorbike racing and playing candycrush  :-[
Life's not a dress rehearsal, you only get one lap; why not make it a good one?

Hawk

Welcome aboard Joeski!  ;D

Firstly it would help if you told us what controller and controller settings you have, because setting up your controller correctly for your style of riding is a must, and we can give you some tips there which will probably help a great deal.  :)

Hawk

Joeski

Hi Hawk!

Yes, I suppose some actual information may indeed help, rather than me just whinging...

So i'm using a fairly old genuine 360 pad - I also have a One controller so I was thinking of upgrading my PC wireless reciever if you think it's worth it?

As for settings I have the following:

Direct Lean - 15%

Lean
DZ - 15%
Lin - 50%

Throttle/Braking
DZ - 0%
Lin - 100%

Rear Brake/Clutch
DZ - 20%
Lin - 50%

As I mentioned, i'm a complete newbie with PC gaming/sims so not sure what to look for/change really!

The bike i've had most success with is the 125GP - I like the seamless up/down shifts without need to clutch, and trail braking seems to be quite easy compared to something like the CBR 600. But the lack of edge grip seems to keep catching me out when I start to get any confidence...

Thanks in advance for any help!

Meyer#12

Seems to be quite similar to my setup, i started using xbox 360 controller and later changed to One controller. It can be connected with UsB too, that is what i do :)

I prefer the xbox One controller for GPB.

The 125GP have a few issues with front folds when you lean fully. It is not the easiest bike to ride. Maybe try the moto3 bikes if you want something that is not too fast and that you can practice with.

For me it also took about half a year before i started doing decent laps without crashing all the time. The best way is to go online and practice with people and try not to push too hard but steadily improve your pace like you would do on a real bike
Meyer#12

Joeski

Thanks Meyer, I'll give a Moto3 bike a try...I've just tried a 2016 R6 Cup which felt a lot nicer and easier to turn in than the CBR I was using so i'll try with that as well.

How do I get online with it? Literally the only thing i've done is lap Philp Island very slowly so i'm not sure the world's ready for my shocking riding yet  ;D

Xbox One reciever is on order!

uberslug

You might want to try a different track. For the life of me I can not figure out my way around Victoria. I have been able to circulate Brno at a competitive real life pace on a Moto2 bike but can not make my way around Victoria no matter how slow I go. I started playing around with GP-Bikes at the same time you did.

I now do most of my riding on the CBR600RR [it has the most realistic sound] and have managed a 3:58 on the Ulster Circuit and a 3:02 on Spa-Francorchamps. These times are not exactly world class but I can do quite a few laps at a time. My personal best is 23 laps of Brno on the Murasama 990 which was long enough to shred the tires.

I do go through periods where it seems like I spend more time crashing than I do upright but then I figure something out and it gets less frustrating.

Blackheart

The best controller for GPB is the GPX, the 99% of the players here use it  ;)

doubledragoncc

Bollocks Blacky the best controller is the Hs2 lol

Wheres the naked CBR900 bro it would be better than sex
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

tchemi

Quote from: Blackheart on August 06, 2017, 01:07:59 PM

I have a GPX and I'm looking for a substitute. I have really large hands and the texture of the pad makes it slippery. At the end of a 40min race, I have pain in my hands and fingers. For me, it is a very good and afordable controller, but not a really good one. It is made for children hands like most of the controller these days.

Blackheart

August 08, 2017, 08:48:49 AM #9 Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 09:12:02 AM by Blackheart
Quote from: tchemi on August 08, 2017, 07:16:33 AM
Quote from: Blackheart on August 06, 2017, 01:07:59 PM

I have a GPX and I'm looking for a substitute. I have really large hands and the texture of the pad makes it slippery. At the end of a 40min race, I have pain in my hands and fingers. For me, it is a very good and afordable controller, but not a really good one. It is made for children hands like most of the controller these days.

I have 32 y for 1.85h, my hands are not very small lol, imho the GPX has normal sizes and perfect triggers... so yes is the best one for me :P

tchemi

Yes, triggers are good, that's true ! And the left joystick is well placed. But the hard plastic and the shape of the controller makes it hard for me, especially on left corners. It is ok when practicing, but with the tension of the race, my hands shake and get sweaty.

h106frp

What about wrapping the handles with fabric bicycle handle bar tape? Cheap and you could build it up to what ever size you want and get rid of the plasticky feel.

tchemi

brilliant !!

I tried with a sort of foam that dries hard. But it wasn't really good. I have some tennis racket grip at home. I will give it a try !

HornetMaX

If I'm not wrong, the Ferrari version of the GPX ( ::) ) has some sort of better grip than the two other versions.
I have it at home (both versions, the reg one and the ferrari one) but I can't remember for sure (and I'm away for 2 weeks).

Anyway, the pain you have after a 40min race is surely due to your own tension/stress: I recall exactly the same for my first few races.

Blackheart

Imho 40 min consecutive with a gamepad in GP Bikes are too much, for this reason I prefer short races or free practices  :P

Here 2 my controller, the only mod are the green thumb grip ( help a lot with the bike lean)