• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:58:51 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Jump start/Black flag/Stop&go.

Started by Grooveski, August 11, 2017, 11:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grooveski

The whole system is very sensitive -  you don't even have to move forward sometimes, wiggling the handlebars can set it off(on tracks where the startline is on a downhill or cambered section).

If you engage gear between the first light coming on and the lights going out you are automatically booted from the grid to the pit menu. 
...and either the admin has to restart the session or you just plain miss the race.
Everyone does this their first time out - which is embarressing for for new riders and frustrating for everyone else.
...and sometimes it's tricky to explain to the new rider what's causing it(if there's no-one else in the room that speaks the same language).

The stop-and go doesn't appear to work - or if it does I've never managed it. 
(Don't see anything in the surface listings for creating a dedicated stop-and-go box so I'm presuming you can do it anywhere on the TRKPIT area?)
Getting a stop-and-go at the moment just means you can go play for a few laps but then you'll be booted. 
(which in a way is more annoying than just being booted from the grid - because the race is underway and there's less chance of the admin taking pity on you and restarting the session)

After a warmup lap the last person to line up at their grid position has to hit the mark and stop without creeping into position.  If you creep in you may accidentally move after GPB has decided you're in place and boot you back to the pit menu.
(The CAWS guys will be giggling - I had an awful time with this one a few weeks ago - and with everyone having to do another warmup lap after each restart it was even more frustrating and time-consuming than your averege DSQ  :-[ )

tchemi

also, in the 250cc championship we experienced problem with people having manual clutch. They were systematically dsq at the moment they were entering the track.
The only solution after a few restarts was to enable auto clutch :/

PeterV

profile.ini

[aids]
autobrake = 0

To disable the automatic brake ( proportional to track slope ) that is applied during the sighting lap and race starting procedure.

PiBoSo

August 11, 2017, 02:10:33 PM #3 Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 02:13:07 PM by PiBoSo
There is no stop and go.
The jump start penalty is a ride through.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

Grooveski

Quote from: tchemi on August 11, 2017, 12:53:06 PM.... They were systematically dsq at the moment they were entering the track.

....at Brands Hatch by any chance?
Happened to me once in 250 testing there, but other times it was fine.
Was definately one of the places I was thinking of when I mentioned things being more sensitive on cambered grids.

Hawk

August 11, 2017, 02:51:38 PM #5 Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 02:53:10 PM by Hawk
I noticed that on some tracks when going to the grid to start a race the bike literally drops down onto the track surface and if your the last bike onto the grid it will either give you a jump start straight away or a ride-thru penalty.
Could this be to do with the sensitivity of the start penalties to movement on the grid, and also to do with the centreline segments being 2D and the bike is dropping from the height of the centreline segment(which the bike spawns at) and then having to drop down onto the lower part of the track surface below that centreline? This is the only thing I can think is happening.

Hawk.
PS: I think this is more prevalent to happen at Brands Hatch due to the start/finish straight residing in a dip?

Grooveski

Quote from: PiBoSo on August 11, 2017, 02:10:33 PM
There is no stop and go.
The jump start penalty is a ride through.

Well that'd certainly explain why I couldn't get a stop&go to work.   ;D
...although it did involve riding through the pit...
Nearly all of my jump starts have been of the 'boot you to the pits' variety - have only had a few ride-throughs.
(thought at first I'd just mis-typed the penalty but no - I distinctly remember stopping and starting again - whatta chump!)   ::)

Quote from: PeterV on August 11, 2017, 01:05:51 PM
profile.ini

[aids]
autobrake = 0

To disable the automatic brake ( proportional to track slope ) that is applied during the sighting lap and race starting procedure.

I see now where that might help - if it's on and you're the last to line up does it stop you from moving again after you trigger the start procedure?
Have seen that in the Settings and wondered what it was for.

PeterV

August 11, 2017, 04:47:57 PM #7 Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 04:53:04 PM by PeterV
Quote from: Grooveski on August 11, 2017, 03:22:44 PM
profile.ini

[aids]
autobrake = 0

I see now where that might help - if it's on and you're the last to line up does it stop you from moving again after you trigger the start procedure?
Have seen that in the Settings and wondered what it was for.

Its useful on tracks with a height differences /slopes  on the s/f line for sure.

Quote from: Hawk on August 11, 2017, 02:51:38 PM
I noticed that on some tracks when going to the grid to start a race the bike literally drops down onto the track surface and if your the last bike onto the grid it will either give you a jump start straight away or a ride-thru penalty.

This seems to be a problem yeah, last bike too "drop"on the track is always moving a bit.

doubledragoncc

It needs to be made that the server handler can chose if jumpstarts and DSQ happens. Until GPB is stable most races get ruined by this problem

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Hawk

Quote from: doubledragoncc on August 11, 2017, 06:06:54 PM
It needs to be made that the server handler can chose if jumpstarts and DSQ happens. Until GPB is stable most races get ruined by this problem

DD

+1 mate. Totally agree DD.  ;)

Hawk.

MultiCOOLFRESH

Quote from: doubledragoncc on August 11, 2017, 06:06:54 PM

DD

+1 and having the option to disable the penaltys would also help, I imagine.
Heeeeeey Hoooooo <br /><br />

Grooveski

August 14, 2017, 02:49:23 AM #11 Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 03:04:50 AM by Grooveski
Race Report  - Spa on the 250s.

- Qualified 9th of 12 with one not taking part - checked behind on the grid - no-one there, just the other two off to the side.
- Treated it like a third start(we often run a "third start we go regardless" system, so ultra-carefull is the name of the game).
- Clutch in, back brake on and lightly blipping the throttle(or the 250 will cut out).  No intention of pulling away until the lights are well out.
-  L1, L2, L3 - bike jerks of it's own accord - L4....
(I use manual rider control - there is a vague possibilitiy that I moved the rider forward)
"Jump start - Grooveski - Ride through" or whatever it says.
- End of lap 1 - Done a ride-through.
- End of lap 2 - Pitboard said PIT IN.
- End of lap 3 - Done another ride-through(thought that maybe I should have waited on the pitboard telling me to go in instead of doing it on the strength of the startline text comment).
- End of lap 4 - Still showing PIT IN.
- Ignored it.
- End of lap whatever(a few later) - booted from game.

Grooveski

Oh, another one that should have been in the first post - If you stall on the grid then hit reset you're booted to pit.  It'd be better if it didn't do anything until the lights had gone out - then you could reset and pull away at the back of the pack, instead of missing the race.   ;)

Grooveski

August 14, 2017, 02:57:38 AM #13 Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 02:59:32 AM by Grooveski
Would it help if we done another session or two like the ones last year?
500's at Philip Island but this time 3 or 4 lap sprints - short enough that if we're booted we can just wait around until the next session - long enough that we can try ride-throughs.

PeterV

The pitin and pitout area are not defined/setup properly on most tracks.
Thats the reason the ride throughs often dont work.

I had one in the past on sachsenring and that one worked.
You could try victoria to test it out. if you need numbers for the filed to test just holar.