• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 08:56:34 AM

Leg swag?

Started by badexample69, September 13, 2017, 05:43:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TFC

Thanks guys I think that clears it up.

But.. Max.. if the rear wheel is off the floor how does the engine brake work? ???

matty0l215

It's just not used as much. Breaks are a lot more effecient way of slowing down. It is predictable (to a degree) and controlable.

Still, it can be used. It's up to the rider but when they are breaking so hard they are picking the rear wheel up, generally engine breaking has already been and gone as a slowing force (a major one anyway).
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

uberslug

In the olden [Mick Doohan & Kevin Schwantz] days the rear brake was used to quash wheelies and excessive wheel spin...

HornetMaX

Quote from: TheFatController on September 25, 2017, 08:38:43 PM
Thanks guys I think that clears it up.

But.. Max.. if the rear wheel is off the floor how does the engine brake work? ???
It works as much as possible, when the rear ha still some force on it. In the past it was common to see the rear hop, jump up and down due to too much engine brake being applied vs the load on the rear tyre, less visible today.

Problem is, front brakes are so strong (and tyres so grippy) that the limit is given by the bike wanting to turn around the front wheel lifting the rear.

Rear brake is to control wheelies, correct mid-turn trajectories and control turn exit (even if, most of this, is probably done better by AW and TC).
Very personal to each rider. In the 500cc era, almost nobody was using it I think (there's a quote of Schwantz saying "the only time I tried it, I nearly crashed. No thx.").

poumpouny

Anyway with the gpbikes Engine brake + Rear brake bug (the bikes behave as if you switch to neutral gear when you downshift and rear brake at the same time) rear brake is useless. Personnaly i use rear brake only when i go too wide to slide a little bit and correct trajectory !

HornetMaX

Quote from: poumpouny on September 26, 2017, 06:45:30 AM
Anyway with the gpbikes Engine brake + Rear brake bug (the bikes behave as if you switch to neutral gear when you downshift and rear brake at the same time) rear brake is useless. Personnaly i use rear brake only when i go too wide to slide a little bit and correct trajectory !
Gearbox/clutch bug, yeah.