• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

GPB Install in 32bit or 64bit Program Files folder?

Started by Hawk, September 13, 2017, 12:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

I'm just wondering for those that are using the LAA Utility to allow GPB to use more RAM, whether GPB can take advantage of using extra RAM if GPB has been installed in the 32bit Windows "Program Files(86)" folder, or whether for GPB to be able to use that extra RAM GPB needs to be installed in the 64bit "Program Files" folder?

Just exploring the possibilities for those who apparently use the LAA utility with the GPB core.exe application file but still are not able to load the larger detailed tracks, and/or experience crazy low FPS rates?

doubledragoncc

Good point, except if installing a server that just gets installed in a different drive which uses your Windows OS. UNLESS is a dedicated server system maybe???

Might give it a try to see if it helps for non server users

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

teeds

Those 2 folders are just for separation, not any kind of system parameters. After all you can install programs anywhere either 64 or 32 bit and they'll run fine.

Hawk

Quote from: teeds on September 13, 2017, 12:37:35 PM
Those 2 folders are just for separation, not any kind of system parameters. After all you can install programs anywhere either 64 or 32 bit and they'll run fine.

Hmm... This is very confusing because on researching this, some say like yourself Teeds that those folders are just to keep 32 and 64bit apps organised and separate, while others are saying that the OS sets it's parameters on how it handles the apps by which folder the app resides in, ie: "Program Files" folder = the OS will set it's settings to run as 64bit app and vice versa for a program loaded from the "Program Files(86)" folder? Very confusing. ???

PS:@Teeds - You say apps run fine in both folders, but do those apps take advantage of the greater memory access of 64bit addressing if they reside in the "Program Files(86)" folder?

teeds

There is something that checks if a program is 32 or 64bit -

https://www.howtogeek.com/129178/why-does-64-bit-windows-need-a-separate-program-files-x86-folder/

"The WOW64 mechanism hooks into CreateProcess and will perform more sophisticated (more sophisticated than checking the folder name of the executable) checks on the executable image to determine if it is 32 or 64 bit."

We're probably giving Pibs and others a good giggle here  ;D

Hawk

Quote from: teeds on September 13, 2017, 02:24:09 PM
There is something that checks if a program is 32 or 64bit -

https://www.howtogeek.com/129178/why-does-64-bit-windows-need-a-separate-program-files-x86-folder/

"The WOW64 mechanism hooks into CreateProcess and will perform more sophisticated (more sophisticated than checking the folder name of the executable) checks on the executable image to determine if it is 32 or 64 bit."

We're probably giving Pibs and others a good giggle here  ;D

Your probably right Teeds. Lol  ;D

It just seems strange that some members seem to be having trouble loading the larger track files that require greater memory and some have no problem whatsoever when using the LAA Utility to get the larger tracks working in GPB..... There must be an explanation for that happening to some and not others? :)

Seajay 64

@Hawk

Just happened today that I decided remove GP BIKES from W10 64 bits program files and install them onto W10 32 bit program file (x86) and try out a few of the problem tracks that I have encountered over the  last few weeks.

The following may be of interest to you?

This was happening on W10 64 bit install without using LAA.

Donington Park GP_ NDS  Unloadable, Core.exe after 19 sec's

Nordshleife VO.7                Unloadable, Core.exe as above. 10 sec's

OultonPark_Classic_NDS   Unloadable, Core.exe as above. 17 sec's

Nord_NDS   Unloadable, Core.exe as above, but instantly when selecting START

This was happened with W10 64 bit install with the use of  LAA.

Donington Park GP_ NDS  Loaded in 2 mins 58 .33 Sec's
Frame rate 30 to 60  Very Playable. With no problems.

Nordshleife VO.7.     Loaded in 7 Min 51 sec's, but frame rate 5 to 50 Although playable very erratic graphics and lots of falling off.

OultonPark_Classic_NDS     Loaded in 4 Mins 38sec's Frame 5 to 40 Just about playable

Nord_NDS  Got to testing page in 12 mins+ but when trying to start or get into garage core.exe.

This was happening on W10 32 bit without using LAA.

Donington Park GP_ NDS   Core.exe after 25 Sec's

Nordshleife VO.7.                Core.exe after  10 Sec's

OultonPark_Classic_NDS    Core.exe after  21.78 Sec's

Nord_NDS                            Core.exe after 10.35 Sec's

This was happening on W10 32 bit with the use of LAA.

Donington Park GP_ NDS   Fully loaded  in 2 Min's 47.92 Sec's
Frame rate 30 - 55. Very Playable and no graphic stutter.

Nordshleife VO.7.  Fully loaded in 1 Min 05.43 Sec's
Frame Rate Now 12 to 57 apart from when going past pit exit when it drops to 3 to 5. However a marked improvement around the rest of the track and Playable.

OultonPark_Classic_NDS  Fully loads in 2 Min's 48.32 Secs
Frame Rate 30 to 55 Very Playable and a marked improvement with the graphics.

Nord_NDS  It got to testing page in 3 min's 33.72 Secs and then to the white square testing page with the pits and bike underneath by 4 min's 52 sec's and I waited until the 12 min mark and a nothing else happened and found a core.exe when pushing my mouse button.

So all in all I feel it has been a good move to install GPBIKES into the Program Files (x86) system as I have a significant improvement in all aspects of the running of these tracks, apart from Nord_NDS that is. For me until things don't work on 32 bit I shall keep GPBIKES
installed on it as I have found it runs far better that in 64 bits.  So I suppose the answer to the question that you raised is: "Yes running GPBIKES in Program Files (x86) is better for me than running it in Program Files, at 64 bits.
Haven't had time yet to try any other tracks today, but will try over the next few days if I can.

I hope that this is of some use for you, inasmuch that for me it has certainly been a worth while trial, and an improvement to my overall enjoyment of using GPBIKES.

Must say you have done a really good job with all the CAWS work. Thank you all very much, it is much appreciated.

One other thing that comes to mind, that being at the beginning of this year I posted an article on the forum with regards to stopping core.exe's on my computer in testing mode. At that time I was running Windows Vista 32 bit OS. A couple of months later when Microsoft stopped updates for Vista I had to update my OS to Windows 10. I installed GPBIKES in the 64 bit Program Files.
From that moment on the one problem I had was, the time it takes to load GPBIKES up from the icon, together with the time it takes to load the bikes and tracks and get onto the track. It seems to take for ever, nearly twice as long that Vista. If I had tried to do all the testing on W10 64 bits OS that I did regarding core.exe when using Vista OS I believe that it would have taken twice as long to accomplish what I did. That would have stretched to about 7 days at 10 hours a day, due to the increased time it takes to load what is needed to make GPBIKES run in W10 64 bit.
This beggars the question, is it possible that something in W10 64 bit triggers a problem in the system at the load point of 32 bit program's. I myself cant answer that question as I'm not that computer savvy, but maybe its a point to ponder on.!
By the way my system is about 8 years old and well worn and consists of the following.

Intel q6666  2.4 Ghz pros, 6 GB ballistic mem, 750 GB Crucial SSD, AMD Radeon 5750 Graphics Card. Logitech Attack 3 Joy stick

Thank you for reading

Seajay 64

matty0l215

I have GPBikes installed on a dedicated SSD, Best thing I've done.
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Hawk

@Seajay: Some very interesting and detailed observations there. Thank you mate! ;) 8)

Just goes to show that different systems seem to react in different ways for some reason. Maybe this information will help give Piboso some ideas on optimising GPB further.

I still hope for a genuine 64bit GPB build for the next beta update.... Surely a must these days for handling large data projects efficiently.... 32bit should be assigned to the trash can for good in my opinion. ;) ;D

Napalm Nick

Yes interesting.

I never install it in the default location always on a separate folder on my SSD. No problems except 1.....

Running triple screen when going to game Settings and changing something (even if not) it takes a long time before I see the "Are you sure" box (I mean wtf! am I sure! grrr). On some tracks the wait on a black screen after selecting ok can be so long that the countdown timer to answer that I am sure (pfff) never gets to show and times out, returning me to the track without any settings changed.

This horrendous wait only came about roundabout B10/B11 but is a frickin pain tbh. I better stick it in the bugs.  ::)
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

doubledragoncc

I dont understand some of your loading times.

W10 64bit

Nordshleife VO.7.     Loaded in 30 sec's, FPS 160
OultonPark_Classic_NDS     Loaded in 20sec's FPS 200
Nord_NDS  Got to testing page in 20 secs FPS 200

Not had a core in beta 12 unless I did not use LAA hack but noticed memory usage went up to 7GB at loading Nords NDS

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.