Author Topic: Bike SIM Experience - new motorcycle game?  (Read 11290 times)

Hawk

• MOD Team: CAWS / GP-Team: Horizon GP #7
    • View Profile
Re: Bike SIM Experience - new motorcycle game?
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2018, 08:24:42 PM »
Yes; "Unity3D" is a game SDK similar(although less quality and not as professional) to "Unreal Engine 4" in my opinion and can be used to develop any game you wish... If you have all the skills to do it of course.  ;)

Blackheart

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 08, 2018, 08:29:36 PM »
Yep, but what I mean is if a decent racing game has ever been created with this engine. U4 is used for almost every videogame genre.

matty0l215

• CAWS Racing #61
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 08, 2018, 08:33:52 PM »
The only racing game I can find really are two NASCAR games (and let's be honest, that is just driving in circles :P)

So it is a bold choice to try and make something as complex as a motorcycle simulator with physics (Assuming they are simulation physics and not using animation/event response, like how i imagine the Milestone games are)

Could be an explanation as to why the bike looks so rigid in the video. Maybe they still need to do the simulation side of things?

It would be nice to have some more info on what/where they are going with the game.

Vergio101

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2018, 05:07:53 AM »
 ::)

Mace-x

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2018, 05:59:51 PM »
To be honest, ive seen way better physics on Unity than in unreal, some chassis flex, wheels deformation, soft body, and ahuge amount of decent looking driving games, while ue4 relies on physx for its physics and it fucking sucks, tell me one good car physics game in ue4 (dont throw Assetto Corsa Competizione, those are their own physics engine written into ue4), just try to looks for a decent looking car tutorial on ue4 in youtube, none, all suck, while unity has a lot of great car physics tutorials so id rely in unity for physics... sadly...

matty0l215

• CAWS Racing #61
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2018, 06:04:07 PM »
still waiting for the demo/in game video :P

Davide74

• Siempre a gas!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2018, 07:00:45 PM »
In this second video I like to liked more

Hawk

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2018, 08:05:53 PM »
To be honest, ive seen way better physics on Unity than in unreal, some chassis flex, wheels deformation, soft body, and ahuge amount of decent looking driving games, while ue4 relies on physx for its physics and it fucking sucks, tell me one good car physics game in ue4 (dont throw Assetto Corsa Competizione, those are their own physics engine written into ue4), just try to looks for a decent looking car tutorial on ue4 in youtube, none, all suck, while unity has a lot of great car physics tutorials so id rely in unity for physics... sadly...

You virtually contradicted yourself there Mace. ;D

You say UE4 physics sucks because they "rely" on "PhysX"(that's not true although you are free to use "PhysX" if you desire), then you went on to say devs can develop their own physics for UE4 games...... Well doesn't that really make a nonsense of your whole statement? :)

All good game SDK's allow the independent programming of physics if desired, and therefore the physics of any particular game/sim depends on how good the devs are in programming those physics into the game/sim..... Physics in Unity can be just as good in UE4 and vice versa; In reality it's all down to how good the particular dev's programming is.  ;)

To be honest I find both good, but when you have to pay though the nose for good unity plugins as well as a lot of money for the pro version of Unity 3D itself then it's a no brainer when UE4 is totally free to use professionally and personally, and then is only a 5% royalty once you hit a certain value of sales; I think it's currently $3,000 in unit sales before you have to pay the 5% royalty on each proceeding unit sale?
In fact I'd be surprised if Unity 3D is still around in 3 years time unless they can do the same sort of deal? But with all the payware-plugins needed to get the best out of Unity I doubt they could do it. I personally think Unity 3d's time is definitely numbered? ;)

Youtube Tutorials can be handy at times, but believe me, most are done by very amature people who want their 5 mins of fame and ad-revenue's and don't really know what they are talking about. Lol! Don't get me wrong, there are a very few who are good on Youtube, but most are diabolical and couldn't create a good tutorial if their lives depended on it..... Haven't you noticed that most of them sound like they just got out of their diapers and can hardly speak properly nevermind teach anyone anything! Lol! ;D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 08:08:39 PM by Hawk »

Mace-x

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2018, 12:01:12 AM »
Hahahaha, yeah Hawk, to be honest ive looked a lot on how to properly make a somewhat decent car in unreal engine 4, even on the store you cant get decent driving mechanics for it.

While in unity even a chipmunk can do it, is way easyer and the wheel collider works properly, while everything unreal have to offer is some wonky premade physics, that was my point, for a amateur is nearly impossible to get something decent physics wise un ue4

Reactive

• Denis.FJR1300A`04
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2018, 06:04:26 AM »
I dont remember a racing game with this engine.

CarX Drift racing and Furidashi Drift Cyber sport, for example.
Excuse my English, its not my native.
Ryzen7 1800x / Aorus GA-AX370 Gaming K7 / Hynix 16Gb x2 2993MHz / Samsung 960PRO 512 M.2 / nVidia GTX1060 6Gb / Windows 10 pro x64

poumpouny

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2018, 06:13:55 AM »
i don't think pro dev or studio will use a "preset physics" from UE or Unity to make car or bike game, those preset thing are most for "mobile oriented" or very arcade game. The point using UE or Unity now is the Graphic engine + Net code. I don't know about netcode but for graphic, UE is way more realistic and easy tha Unity, and it's free...there's also frostbite but it's another discussion. I think you can only have good physic with traditional C language devellopement.

HornetMaX

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 19, 2018, 07:51:07 AM »
They picked Unity (deciding to pay for it), I'm not sure we're really entitled to say that's a bad decision. Let's just wait and see.

I think you can only have good physic with traditional C language devellopement.

You mean C++ right ? :)

poumpouny

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 19, 2018, 08:46:33 AM »
Max > no, C  ;D because we need hardcore sim, so dev need to work on hardcore language  ;D. Seriously, yes i mean C++

Hawk

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 19, 2018, 09:26:45 AM »

I think they probably chose Unity because the main programmer in their team was already a Unity proficient user and therefore probably made sense to go down that route?

But as far as good physics are concerned: The physics will only be as good as the programmer who programmes the physics..... I agree with  poumpouny that the preset physics are only basic physics settings for arcady type games and that if you want proper simulated physics for more complex given situations then you'd have to programme them yourself, and I doubt whether any programmer is going to make available very good physics routines for free, a tutorial, or as a cheap payware module. :)

Hahahaha, yeah Hawk, to be honest ive looked a lot on how to properly make a somewhat decent car in unreal engine 4, even on the store you cant get decent driving mechanics for it.

While in unity even a chipmunk can do it, is way easyer and the wheel collider works properly, while everything unreal have to offer is some wonky premade physics, that was my point, for a amateur is nearly impossible to get something decent physics wise un ue4

I like the old saying,  "If you want anything done properly then you've got to do it yourself".  This is very true in most cases. ;) ;D

I think, even if your an amature developer, to seek out pre-made solutions to a specific problem is a mistake..... I think developers(or would-be dev's) would learn a lot more and become a better developer by setting out to solve the problem themselves.

But basically I think it's a mistake to judge either UE4 or Unity on the availability of premade physics routines/examples, of which I know the ones you see for UE4 tend to be just starter examples for people to learn from and then go on to adapt or even create their own, so it's unfair to judge UE4 against Unity on that basis don't you think? It's more a case of the end result that matters, and that surely depends greatly on the ability of the dev team working in whichever SDK they decide to work with, in my opinion. :)