• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Switching to 1P, the easy way.

Started by tchemi, September 26, 2017, 10:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tchemi

Switching to 1P, the easy way.

Hey guys, Many of you are still playing in 3rd P and I understand why. It is easier because you actually see the bike,
You can flirt with those kerbs without climbing on them because you see where they are.
3rd P also gives a better awareness of your direct surrounding and helps to avoid collisions. Maybe it will also gives you more feedback about your leaning angle but most of all, are your lifting up a wheel. It is easier to control wheelings and stoppies.

You already tryed the 1st p because you understand that this is the way it's meant to be riden. But it's not comfortable, you are not fast, you lose all your habits and it feels unnatural.

Here are, in my opinion, a few tips that can greatly ease the transition from 3rd P to 1st P.

1) : First of all, download, install and configure MaxHUD plugin : http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=79.0

It will bring back all the info you had at the bottom right of the screen, and even more !
What must be activated ?

- radar
- map

This will compensate the lost of surrounding awareness and help you to better locate you and other opponents on the track
The other features are cool but don't help to switch to 1P

2) : Activate the alternative view mode : http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=15.msg70886#msg70886

Quote from: PiBoSo on February 19, 2017, 11:02:38 PM

[view]
mode = 1

To select the "alternative" mode for the onboard views ( pointing to the direction of motion and pitch relative to the ground rather than the bike ).

3) : Start with the second inboard view (tank view)

This may be not the best one, but it has some advantages, It's fixed to the tank ! You will have to learn a new way of looking around you, it could be easier to have a fixed camera at the beggining.

4 ) : Settings !  http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=431.msg2997#msg2997

There ! There you will make the difference ! Let's be honest, the default settings are not giving that much feedback.
It gives the feeling that the bike disapear on the side each time you lean a little bit.

- increase FOV : You will need at least 80° of FOV in order to see what happens on each sides
- pitch : Don't give too much pitch, the more you look up, the easier will be your corner exits
- corner anticipation : This is important !  I suggest to put it in corner anticipation rather than rider lean.
You don't need an exessive amount here. It will only make a real difference in tight corners. Set it to 20, it should be good to start.
- Tilt : This thing will make all the diference !! The lack of feedback and the arcade feeling of the default setting is due to this setting. Try to put it to 50 to see the real difference. Then you can adjust it if it's too much.

5 ) : Practice !

You should practice now, but choose wisely the bike and the track. Take a bike that is easy to lean, stable, and choose a track with nice and clean kerbs.

Here comes all the beauty of GPB ! You will need to apply real life concept.
-> don't look your feet, look ahead, as far as possible, where you want to go !

Make some easy laps to accomodate with the new feeling. Maybe you can adjust the settings a little bit. Now, try to be as close as possible from the kerbs to feel the bike under yourself.

Choose a bike with a camera set high on the bike, You need to have the more possible vision around and in front of the bike.

6) : Enjoy !

If you have a Trackir, EDTracker or any device that can track your head movement, USE IT !! This is a real game change.

Napalm Nick

Nice guide Tchemi!

Worth doing to get the full exhilaration. On Hockenheim 79 at 180mph on the long bumpy right hander you get sore ass cheeks - from gripping the seat! Just like in real.  :D
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Syd

Yes thats the way to do it!
Thing is, until now, there was not much incentive to go 1p, I always wondered whether the guys going faster than me online were 3rd or 1st. Now we have some dedicated 1p servers, thanks to NAPFRA and CAWS, even no aids on the NAPFRA servers, so now we all know we are running on a level playing field. Good times!

KG_03

Yes its great that in GPB server settings allow to block 3p. I have always played onboard cam and in case of Milestone games i can see who is playing 1p or 3p view. But unfortunately there is no option to lock camera settings. Now I have to think about head tracking device so I can make the racing more immersive 😀

Ryanoh4

Nice guide  :D I started of on 3p just to see if you can go faster and tbh I think you can, but I play strictly 1p now and I've never looked back 3'13.7 on Ulster gp with the Motogp17 Ducati if anyone wants a 1p challenge  ;)

Vini

September 26, 2017, 01:11:26 PM #5 Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 01:54:29 PM by vini97
I'd suggest starting with the other onboard view. It gives much better feedback over what the bike is doing.
Also, enabling the helmet overlay in MaxHUD plugin with a rotation factor equal to or slightly smaller than your tilt setting works as a lean angle indicator and adds to the immersion.
I'm using a top/bottom offset of 5 so that it doesn't block too much of the view.

Regarding the specific onboard view settings, I think it's personal preference. You definitely need a large FoV, though (I use 90).
I for one like the feeling of hanging off next to the bike with the head relatively straight (like Marquez).
Consequently I use more lean heading (55) and less tilt (20, helmet rot. factor 10). With higher lean heading you see mostly tarmac mid-corner and the focus is on where you are going, which is closer to what you would see in real life.
Don't use "look to apex" as it's very unpredictable and makes it much harder to ride consistent lines.
Lastly, the pitch setting depends on the bike and I set it up so that the (complete) triple clamp is visible at the very bottom of the frame when fully tucked in (~60 for the MotoGP bikes).

Edit: Oh and manual rider lean is helpful when using high lean heading values because you can keep the view fixed while moving the bike around.

Napalm Nick

I like the 'look to Apex' personally. Triple screen helps a lot so the bike stays visual in the peripheral more. But when I finally ever get my Track IR setup wih GPB I will ditch that look to apex and do it manually with my head lol.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Warlock

KG_03

Ha! And I personally prefer narrow FOV - I have set it to 60 dgr. The head tracking is nice but for me there should be an option to adjust how fast the head is going to forward position. I just loose concentration when it moves so fast. Also I am very happy that MaxHUD allows force feedback. It also helps a lot.

Warlock

Quote from: KG13 on September 26, 2017, 05:54:57 PM
Ha! And I personally prefer narrow FOV
Yes, same here.
I can barely see the cockpit when turning and looking to apex. Great inmersion.

TimboC137

Quote from: Warlock on September 26, 2017, 06:21:13 PM

Yes, same here.

Me too. I understand the advantage of a wide FOV,  but I just can't get used to it.

janaucarre

Hi, thank you for your skills donation.
The only thing for what i dont ride in 1p more than 4 times/year is that it is very very very tiresome.

Boerenlater

The one thing I hate in first person is you aren't able to see either the bike wheelie or going over when you brake. In third person you can exactly adjust your breaking force or throttle.
In real life you feel the bike's behavior, but of course here we don't.
I stopped gaming (and GP-Bikes)

Stout Johnson

Quote from: Warlock on September 26, 2017, 06:21:13 PM
Yes, same here.
Exactly. I would consider my FOV to be similar to what I can focus on irl. The only thing that's bad for me is, that I cannot see the cockpit instruments (as irl, but irl I can just adjust my head to see the instruments). I guess a head tracking device could help me in that aspect?
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

KG_03

Exactly. Thats why I wanted to buy TrackIR but its a bit expensive toy...anyway from what I've seen in Youtube it works great.