• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:23:51 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Question: track for both GPB and WRS ?

Started by HornetMaX, January 15, 2014, 09:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

Hi all,

one simple question: can the same track be used for both GPB and WRS ? I mean the very same folder, the very same files.

Is there anything special the track author has to do to support this ?

The idea is to have a single track directory shared by both games (using hard links).

MaX.

Seajay 64

Hello Max

I've been trying WRS Croft on GPB and although  the track works okay, but the timing system in MAX HUD doesn't seem to hold the lap timings.

Although the split timing works the colours dont change  from white to red or green and the total lap time is always 00:00:00.

The track rides okay.

Croft is the only track I have tried from WRS , as I was thinking the same question that you asked here.

Hope this is some help to you

Regards

Seajay

iVolution

Quote from: HornetMaX on January 15, 2014, 09:40:02 AM
Hi all,

one simple question: can the same track be used for both GPB and WRS ? I mean the very same folder, the very same files.

The idea is to have a single track directory shared by both games (using hard links).

MaX.
I guess the starting grid won't be the same. That is something that has to be altered for GPB and WRS seperately i expect.

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on January 15, 2014, 09:40:02 AM
Hi all,

MaX.

Dibu has been changing some files in the track files(Don't know which ones) for GPB Tracks to work with WRS. This is why I've created separate Track Download databases for GPB Tracks and WRS tracks in the two separate GPB/WRS mod/track sections of the forum, and dibu has been co-ordinating with me to provide tracks that work with WRS to add to the WRS Track Downloads database.

Dibu could shed some light on this matter, as there must be something different somewhere in the track files for GPB tracks to work properly with WRS tracks or he wouldn't be sending me same track files as already in GPB track database but only for upload to WRS Track Downloads database.

janaucarre

hello,
I think the big changes are that gpbikes tracks can be rideable without all of things needed, not in wrs.
The pit entrance, pit lane and pit out must be well named before export to have no problems  to start engine with f3000, the grid is a little thing not really important for good timing, but its nice to make a good grid for wrs.
don't know exactly what other thing to do.

HornetMaX

OK, but if it is indeed possible for a track to include everything needed by GPB and by WRS and the only problem is the grid (ion the .rdf file), the it would be easy for Piboso to allow two simultaneous .rdf files (one for GPB, one for WRS) or a single file with two sections, so that the very same track could be used for both games. No ?

It'd save players some space, tracks modders to have to publish two versions and Hawk to upload twice the (almost) same stuff ...

MaX.

dibu

<track>.rdf and stall.edf have to be exchanged for using a GPB track in WRS and WRS doesn't use (ignores) GPB specific files like minrace.tl/maxrace.tl

<track>.rdf
WRS uses 2 splits, GPB 3 splits
Pits are ususally different for cars (distance, angle)
WRS needs additional pits for pitstops defined
WRS uses 2 start stalls, GPB 3 per row

stall.edf files are different for both sims
WRS 2 rows  (size 99KB)
GPB 3 rows  (size 28KB)

[The track creator has to use the proper pitlane material prefix (PITIN_, PIT_ and PITPOUT_) which is important for both GPB and WRS for drivethrough penalities. In WRS it's also essential for starting the F3000 engine.]

Most files especially the big ones are identical for GPB and WRS. By different naming e.g. stall_wrs.edf, stall_gpb.edf and trackname_wrs.rdf, trackname_gpb.rdf it shouldn't be a problem to use the same track for both sims.

It would also help me a lot if there could be an option in the dedicated.ini/gpb.ini/wrs.ini where I can add a line to tell the sim where it finds the tracks. Depending which kind of dedicated servers I'm running at a server (standard/mod/wrs) I've to keep multiple copies of the same track even at one server. With this option I could load all tracks from the same network share for all servers.

HornetMaX

Thx dibu, that was exactly my point !

MaX.

janaucarre

thank you dibu.
I have one question:
What is really stall?

neoraptor

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. Confucius
>> Wiki to help modders <<

dibu

Quote from: janaucarre on January 15, 2014, 03:40:38 PM
thank you dibu.
I have one question:
What is really stall?
neoraptor already said it.

The stall.edf files 'paint' the starting stalls (starting grid) exactly at the positions which were defined in the rdf files. No need to do it manually in 3DS which I've seen at some tracks. If the stall.edf files are used it's also much easier to swap a track between GPB and WRS.
Test it it's much easier and more flexible.

janaucarre

HornetMaX

Quote from: dibu on January 15, 2014, 03:15:53 PM
It would also help me a lot if there could be an option in the dedicated.ini/gpb.ini/wrs.ini where I can add a line to tell the sim where it finds the tracks. Depending which kind of dedicated servers I'm running at a server (standard/mod/wrs) I've to keep multiple copies of the same track even at one server. With this option I could load all tracks from the same network share for all servers.
dibu, was just thinking: would a junction help ?

I think they don't work across the network, but at least you can have only one track folder per server.

I use a junction, for example to have the same "setups" folder across my different profiles.

The .ini solution would be better, of course.

MaX.

dibu

Quote from: HornetMaX on January 22, 2014, 06:08:02 PM
dibu, was just thinking: would a junction help ?

I think they don't work across the network, but at least you can have only one track folder per server.

I use a junction, for example to have the same "setups" folder across my different profiles.
I've never tried it with GPB but it's worth an attempt. I'll test it at the weekend when I've a bit more time but the goal should be to load all tracks from a single network share. DFS or iSCSI could also be solution if I can define the loaction of the tracks.
I'll report but I still prefer the *.ini solution because this way I could allow Peter to upload/change tracks at my racing server by simply editing the dedicated.ini files and placing the tracks to his dropbox.
If I could handle the bikes folder the same way it would be fantastic.

HornetMaX

Quote from: dibu on January 22, 2014, 07:06:12 PM
I'll report but I still prefer the *.ini solution because this way I could allow Peter to upload/change tracks at my racing server by simply editing the dedicated.ini files and placing the tracks to his dropbox.
If I could handle the bikes folder the same way it would be fantastic.
The suggestion is already in the suggestions recap. I'm gonna add the bikes stuff.

MaX.