• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Let's Stop Thanking - Let's Start Supporting!

Started by Tosteetos, October 07, 2017, 07:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tosteetos

I know I'm going to get some gripe from some people on this one. But if you truly love GPB I know you will understand where I'm coming from here...

I am a relatively new user of GPB, but I've fallen deeply in love with the platform. I really would love for GPB to keep reaching new heights.  It takes time, and effort to continue its development and that means money and moders and developers can't go to the supermarket and buy some groceries with a half of a "thank you" or a "Great job".

I know we paid for the actual beta, but for the love of the platform, lets put that aside, and if you are able to, SUPPORT the people who do the work you like.

Think about it, you don't just Pay for Netflix and you get to enjoy it for the rest of your life, new content comes out, and for you to watch it, you need to continue paying for it. You just don't pay for an Xbox title now a days, you pay for 3-4 expansions/downloadable content/etc. 

Now I understand not everybody has the means to continue throwing money at a game. But do you enjoy a cup of coffee at Starbucks at least 3-4 times a month (replace with your favorite consumable), I bet we also enjoy the hours of entertainment this game affords us, that shinny new bike or track some one put out. That means HOURS upon Hours of work, and you really have to love doing this stuff when you do it for free pretty much. 

So guys, in conclusion, in one way or another, we need to continue supporting the development of this game/sim/community.

I welcome the use of this thread to generate some ideas about ways we can support and keep pushing this forward.

Napalm Nick

October 07, 2017, 08:43:08 PM #1 Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 08:45:19 PM by Napalm Nick
Actually I agree with everything you say.  :o hehe

I have more than one license and I believe PiB likes that approach as a way to support. I'm not after any thanks for that, to me the years of enjoyment have been well worth the price even with the terrible frustration of not really knowing how interested PiB is to get this project finished. At the risk of saying the grass seems greener on the other projects despite the endless support of the community here...well I said it.

As for modders then unless it is scratch built stuff (where the author can decide) then I think it should be free. The modders are getting kicks out of doing it after all.

I have also used the coffee analogy, people moan about paying £20 for a gamble on a game that might last for years yet on the other hand squander as much on brown drinks they will use once and lose with no fond memories or fun.

But it is a very complex issue for discussion that will once again ( ::)) bring in a lot of emotion (eek).

Like the gambling motto says - "Once the fun stops, stop."
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Hawk

October 07, 2017, 10:08:27 PM #2 Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 10:11:11 PM by Hawk
Totally agree with what Nick is saying there..... I'm all for modders who actually build scratch content either selling their work to the community or getting donations, but this has been discussed in the distant past and has thrown up some highly emotive responses. Lol! ;D
Some peoples bad attitude to selling mods and receiving donations for mods will probably surprise you as they did me at the time.... I'm afraid people in general want everything for nothing in return, especially were game mods are concerned..... It is indeed a very weird attitude gamers tend to have considering the work involved, especially for scratch built mods. ::)

All I can say is that it's a good job that modders love the work they do for the community.  ;)

PS: We shouldn't forget those among us who spend a lot of their time and expertise running the servers and organising competitions too.  ;)

Wimp #97

As a current engineering student in his final year, I am lacking money, especially for stuff that is considered extra (as in not necessary). But I promise either if i have time that i'll start modding for free or if i have money i'll donate to who needs and deserves it! You have my word ! :D (but for now my "thanks" will have to do :) )
Wimp #97

Champion Moto2 International Cup 2018

Grooveski

If modders ask for donations and folk want to do it - all well and good.

If they don't ask I just presume they're doing it because they want to, in which case thanks are nice...
...but the real thanks are unspoken and come when the mod is put to use.  :)  Knowing that the mod's made the cut, had the ass kicked out it for a week or so and not given anyone any grief is pretty much enough to keep me motivated for the next one.

I'm not saying everyone should be playing Knockhill  ;D - my comments are based more on my GP500 time.
....the low point of which was undoubtably doing an overhaul of Estoril just before the announcement that MotoGP were dropping the round for 2013.
Nothing worse than a mod that doesn't get used. :(

KG_03

Nick is right. My first feeling was "yes! Lets do this" but after I've read the second post I was thinking like |if people make it for fun, for community they shouldn't have any pressure on them". When ppl will pay for modders job they will start to have demands. Do this, do that, what are you paid for...etc. And the passion turns to occupation. Anyway... As long as I can and modders wish it I try to support their work, because I have two left hands and no computer knowledge so I can't support the community, despite I have lots of ideas and wishes what to change. To be honest the game would be probably dead without modders and their work. In conlusion - if modders would like to get donations I am for it... if its going to be a mandatory for every modder I'm against. Don't want to put any pressure on anyone.

Tosteetos

Guys,

All valid points!

I guess my post stems from the fact that I feel there is so much potential in this platform and it is a little frustrating seeing it's been in development for many years with being no where near a full release it seems so. And Piboso, as far as I understand, is a one man band. Which to be honest, is quite impressive what he's been able to achieve.

So the feeling is how can we all collectively (the ones that can, of course) take GPB to the next level?  I don't have the answer to that, but I am eager to know how I can support, in one way or the other, the development of GPB.  :)

Hawk

Quote from: Tosteetos on October 08, 2017, 04:30:39 PM
Guys,

All valid points!

I guess my post stems from the fact that I feel there is so much potential in this platform and it is a little frustrating seeing it's been in development for many years with being no where near a full release it seems so. And Piboso, as far as I understand, is a one man band. Which to be honest, is quite impressive what he's been able to achieve.

So the feeling is how can we all collectively (the ones that can, of course) take GPB to the next level?  I don't have the answer to that, but I am eager to know how I can support, in one way or the other, the development of GPB. :)

Again we discussed this in great detail in the past and the best way to support Piboso(the way he seems happiest to support him) is to just buy more GPB licenses, and moreover for all his projects.  :)

KG_03

Tosteetos , well said. I am a new person here but really feel like I wish that GP Bikes could reach another level. This platform is fantastic and I don't want to play anything else at this moment.

Tosteetos

Quote from: Hawk on October 08, 2017, 04:40:56 PM
Guys,

All valid points!

So the feeling is how can we all collectively (the ones that can, of course) take GPB to the next level?  I don't have the answer to that, but I am eager to know how I can support, in one way or the other, the development of GPB. :)

Again we discussed this in great detail in the past and the best way to support Piboso(the way he seems happiest to support him) is to just buy more GPB licenses, and moreover for all his projects.  :)

Hawk,  I understand what you are saying and I agree, I actually own license for MX and KRP even though I don't play them very frequently. But I was so fascinated by the physics model of GPB when I first tried, that I went ahead and bought them as well. 

But I'm not sure that is going to necessarily push GPB itself forward the way we would like to see it. I may be wrong but my perception is that Piboso is spread thin at this point with so many projects and we will not see any significant progress on GPB in years to come if there isn't any real investment and a team behind it, which is a shame.

I don't intend to be one of the new guys that wants to reinvent the wheel, I can imagine many of you have probably tried to get some attention to this subject, it's just a little frustrating to see the wasted potential... specially in the age of crowd funding and online community building.  :)

Hawk

Quote from: Tosteetos on October 09, 2017, 12:04:58 AM
Quote from: Hawk on October 08, 2017, 04:40:56 PM
Guys,

All valid points!

Hawk,  I understand what you are saying and I agree, I actually own license for MX and KRP even though I don't play them very frequently. But I was so fascinated by the physics model of GPB when I first tried, that I went ahead and bought them as well. 

But I'm not sure that is going to necessarily push GPB itself forward the way we would like to see it. I may be wrong but my perception is that Piboso is spread thin at this point with so many projects and we will not see any significant progress on GPB in years to come if there isn't any real investment and a team behind it, which is a shame.

I don't intend to be one of the new guys that wants to reinvent the wheel, I can imagine many of you have probably tried to get some attention to this subject, it's just a little frustrating to see the wasted potential... specially in the age of crowd funding and online community building.  :)

Totally agree with everything your saying there Tosteetos, it is indeed a very frustrating situation having such a slow development time for GPB when we can all see such potential for the project.

Personally I think the crowd funding avenue would be the best option for Piboso to explore to try and gain those extra finances to be able to speed up the development of his projects, but I suspect the thought of all the work involved in a kickstarter campaign taking him away from his work on his projects is probably a deciding factor for him not to even try it?
Maybe if he had someone close to him who would take on that roll then maybe he would agree to go for it?

badexample69

October 10, 2017, 06:03:36 AM #11 Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 06:12:44 AM by badexample69
I don't want to be a negative guy but the game is not going anywhere.. The development is way too slow and people get fed up and impatient just like MX bikes. The game needs a few trailers made up and crowdfunding need to be initiated just like SlightyMad studios with Project car. It reminds me of Rfactor 2. So much potential but not real input. Life is so short. Getting the money for the development is so easy with this title. There is a lot of motoheads out there and Milestone is just garbage.

VirginiaF1

It was encouraging in August to see DoubleDragon catch the attention of Dorna for his HS2.
The fact that GPB provides such real feel physics had me hoping that Jorge would get a sample of this sim.
Alas the Logistics/Administrative Gods at Silverstone reduced 3 days of exposure to mere hours.

Tosteetos' premise here is one I'd gladly champion for this game's development.
But whereas we have the Demand, it's unclear whether Pib has the Supply. ;)

poumpouny

I'm here for just 1 and half a years, and had already seen at least 2 topic like this, i think the main problem is that, does Piboso himself agree to take GPB into a "structured/professional/commercial" development environnement, i don't know what is the answer but it seems no. I may be wrong but it seems that the 4 sims is he's baby, and he want to devellop it himself as far as possible. This thing had of course good and bad side, the good one is that software and especially sims like GPbike need consistancy developpement and i'm glad to see that piboso manage to pratically do it "alone" (i think he work with 4 other people but for sound, graphic design etc... and not development, correct me if i'm wrong). The bad side is that Piboso is just a  human, and not matter how much skilled and passionate he is, develloping 4 of such a software is just physically to much for 1 person ....
In the other side, bring it into a structured and commercial development environnemnt could also alter the game quality .......

KG_03

I wonder what PiBoSo thinks about all of this writen here.