• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Finally get it working (Hardcore Direct Steer Tutorial inside)

Started by poumpouny, October 12, 2017, 02:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poumpouny

Hi everyone,
As you already know, i'm struggling with the hardcore mode since month, i first know about it with klax's thread : http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=1125.msg75810#msg75810
I found it pretty cool, and start to learn it. at that time, i still played gpbikes with my DIY handle bar : http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=3878.0 , but since it has no FFB, it was too hard to know where the lean maximum angle because of lack of bike feedback (hard for me, but klax manage to ride in hardcore mode with gamepad so it is surely possible).

Then come to me the idea to build a handle bar with FFB. Having poor knowledge in electronics, mechanics etc, i just buy a logitech G920 wheel and is making a handlebar that could be "mounted to the G920" (still in WIP so i'm still playing with only the wheel itself) http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=5117.0

I play first with DST mode, cause klax used it in his thread, but found soon it was so difficult. Then I tryed DSA  but idem get me more frustrated. i pratically try it every day (change setting, whatch replay, the re change setting, re-watch replay .....etc)  found it too much frustrating and go back to Normal Steering mode.

My main problem was to keep the bike up at a given lean angle, in DST mode you can do it with the "klax method", wich consist of using the throtle in corner, personnally i found it very unaturral as you don't do that IRL, in IRL you throtle, hard brake, realease gas (on a hard corner) and then re-accelerate only in the corner exit. With klax method, you had to keep throtle during all the turn.

I was very near to give up, then yesterday, i finally found setting that allow me to drive finally naturally and do 1, 2 or 5 lap without crashing. i'm a slow rider (even with normal steering) i'm 10 sec slower that most of online riders, now with Direct Steering, im 10 to 15 sec slower that in Normal steering mode but Direct Steer is so much fun that i don't really car about laptime for now, i think i will be faster with practice but first of all it is pure pleasure, you have to really ride the bike in each corner, it was like the moment when i switch from Moto GP to Gp Bikes, so i wan't to share my setup here to help in case someone wan't to go with Direct Steer.

1. Rider lean :

I think a head tracker is a must have if you want to go with Direct Steer to controll the rider leaning (the auto rider lean doesn't work when you are in hardcore mode so you're ridier is just hanging on the bike in turn and you loose almost 10° in maximum lean angle, also the replay look very ugly with the rider sticked in the bike  ;D . don't be worry, i don't have fancy headtracker, i just use my phone (with a gyroscope) and a couple of software (ed tracker is surely the best option and cheaper one but for me who is in the middle of the Indian Ocean it is a real problem to buy thing and ship it here.

So this is a tutorial to make your DIY headtracker with your phone : https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/201647-using-opentrack-with-android-phone-for-headtracking/

2. Wheel controller : Unless you are Klax, i definitely recommend you to play hardcore mode with a Wheel or a DIY handlebar with FFB, i set my FFB setting force at minimum force, otherwise the wheel is incontrollable and i don't think that IRL handle bar produce that much of resistance.

3. Direct Steer mode :

After playing almost 2 month with both mode, i finally choose DSA (Direct Steer with Angle), because you controll directly your lean angle with the handlebar angle so you don't need to play with throttle in turn to keep the bike up. The problem is that IRL the handlebar max angle is aproximatively 25°, but when you gain speed you only use 5° to 10°of it, so if you go with the Piboso's default steering angle setting ( Directsteer_maxangle=20 ) it is almost impossible to keep the bike up past 30° lean, you can do it IRL because you have lots of feedback from the bike, but with gpbike you don't have these feedback, so 5 to 10° is definitely not enough to controll the bike lean and that's why i was keep crashing and get frustrated during 2 month. Yesterday, i open up the profile file, put 80° as max steering angle, fired up Gp bikes and tadaaaaaaaaaaaa got i working.

Edit : You have to re-calibrate your wheel each time you change DSA max angle

i'm now able to reach constant 50 to 55° lean angle and surely with practice go past 60°.

Here is the code you need to put into your profile.ini to enable DSA mode with my setting, wich you will find in : Documents/Piboso/Gpbikes/profile/profilename/

[hardcore]
directsteer=2
directsteer_maxangle=80

4. Bike :

For now i made my test with Moto GP mod bike and GP 500, i'll complete testing with other bike (especially smaller bikes) but for now, i found that the GP 500 category is the most easy bike to start with Direct Steer (the default Varese or the mod bikes).

5. How you lean your bike :

The fantastic thing about Gpbikes is that it works really like IRL, so with your headtracker controlling your rider lean F/B/L/R and attached to your head or your shoulder, you start leaning by leaning your body first, then turn slightely the handlebar until you find your lean angle limit, or the lean angle you want. I'm using MAX HUD to show my leaning angle but it could distract you when you ride.

Disclaimer : Despite DSA is 5 times more accessible with this setup, that doesn't mean it is easy, it still need lots of practice, so I'm no responsible of suicide statistics grow up after this thread  ;D

Hope it help and sorry for my poor english.
Poumpouny

tchemi

Quote from: poumpouny on October 12, 2017, 02:14:41 PM
personnally i found it very unaturral as you don't do that IRL, in IRL you throtle, hard brake, realease gas (on a hard corner) and then re-accelerate only in the corner exit. With klax method, you had to keep throtle during all the turn.

<My two cents ON>
If you have a bike that have a lot of engine brake, you need to keep the gas during the turn or the bike collapse. I'm use to that and that's why I love bike with low to none electronic engine-brake thing in GPB.
<My two cents OFF>

Anyway, You did a great job and I will maybe give it a go. I have a spare G27 lying under my bed. Let see if I have the courage to start such a work.

KG_03

For me the main problem is still the suspension that forces slow direction changes and as you said constant throttle in whole turn otherwise the bike looses grip. I struggle 3rd day with suspension set up but I came to point when bike handling starts to be satisfying. I  will post my work effects in the bug section.

Hawk

Quote from: KG13 on October 12, 2017, 09:55:48 PM
For me the main problem is still the suspension that forces slow direction changes and as you said constant throttle in whole turn otherwise the bike looses grip. I struggle 3rd day with suspension set up but I came to point when bike handling starts to be satisfying. I  will post my work effects in the bug section.

I may be misunderstanding you, but just in case: Are you sure you haven't got your "Direct Steer" setting too low for you? A low setting promotes slow lean angle changes with your controller(some like it slow, others don't. Depends on what controller your using really).

poumpouny

KG13 > are you using DST or DSA, if DST increase your max torque setting to be able to make fast direction change, in DSA you can do whatever you want as long as you don't go behind you tyre grip capabilities !

I want to post some video of replay but i don't know why my GPbikes's replay only record the 30-40 last second, please help.

Napalm Nick

Increase your replay buffer to max 512.
You can find how to do this in the documentation section.

Note: this may not be appropriate for everyone due to extra Ram usage.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

davidboda46

Has anyone used two edtrackers at the same time? The reason I ask is that when I tried to calibrate two identical wheels GPB only recognized one for input (you could still calibrate both but one was then ignored by the game). I would like to have body movement tracked and keep my head tracking as well, but if only one edtracker is recognized that becomes impossible. If anyone has tried (or have two edtrackers and can test) please let me know. Would like to know if it works before I buy another unit.

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46 
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

KG_03

Quote from: poumpouny on October 13, 2017, 05:37:09 AM
KG13 > are you using DST or DSA, if DST increase your max torque setting to be able to make fast direction change, in DSA you can do whatever you want as long as you don't go behind you tyre grip capabilities !

I have Direct Steer slider set to 100% ... so not sure what I can do more :-( almost every bike I ride has too fast suspension rebound and when I change direction while holdin acceleration button (even very slow acceleration) the bike jumps up :-( I play on XBOX One game pad.

poumpouny

I think you mean "Direct Lean"  ;) which doesn't anything to do in Hardcore mode (anyway the is no slider to configure DST, it is hardcoded in the profile.ini file. Direct lean is a "smoothing" thing for your input, especially for gamepad, with direct lean set to 100, the bike lean match exactly your gamepad analog stick, wich is especially hard to handle for most people, i think you problem has nothing to do with suspension but is just you're using 100 Direct lean. the best thing to notice what Direct Lean is doing is put it at 100, the ride one lap, then put it at 0 and redo another lap.

janaucarre

Hi,
I think if he is a bit like me he cannot use directsteering set to 0.
Its totally impossible for me to take a turn in that case.

KG_03

Ok thank you I will try it today. I turned off smoothing of the axis because the issue with bike was bigger 🙁 I start to think that there is sth wrong woth my controls as I see that im the only one who complains about suspension decompressing too fast.

KG_03

Ok, I have set the direct lean slider to 50% and I have a new quality to the game. No without problem I can do normal laptimes and push the bikes to the limit. So the result is that 100% Direct steering is not good for game pad. Thank you guys !

Napalm Nick

You had it at 100%  :o I think you will enjoy it more now for sure  ;)
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

KG_03

Yup I was playing with 100% direct lean :-D I thought it should be so...so I didn't touch it :-D

Hawk

Quote from: KG13 on October 16, 2017, 09:01:40 PM
Yup I was playing with 100% direct lean :-D I thought it should be so...so I didn't touch it :-D

Yeah..... I use 89% with my joystick, and have tried 100% on my gamepad which I personally find is far too much for a gamepad. As far as I understand, a lot of gamepad users set it at about 15-25%?