• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:55:46 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

things to focus on.

Started by Become dust, October 21, 2017, 09:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Become dust

oi! hello everyone, quick question, I got a few things I feel that I struggle on, sadly I it seems I can't spot the issues I'm facing, how can one locate and determine what is done wrong? I'm no expert or top bike sim racer who has managed to hit the near limit of all possible capabilities imaginable, although I feel just as blind as trying to find improvements on something as simple as how to corner (even though it is not as simple as I started out thinking when racing was introduced to me) I've ridden a lot on the Handa CBR 600 RR bike, on the Jerez race track.
I like progress and achievements, once I struggle to achieve any progress over a long period of time the fun factor lessens, naturally it is indeed a very humanlike reaction but what does frustrate me is the fact that I'm basically riding in blind, i got a split timer telling me how far behind or ahead I am, yet not telling me why and how I even achieved that gap, generally speaking, it can be obvious but mostly it is not. I'm sure if I get the basics down I should see improvements, and as I have been told this sim is not easy and very unforgiving, which I think is where GP bikes charm is, it is a motorcycle sim with wind in your face, (there is a visor between but hey) you feel fast, even at lover speeds your head dangling a few centimeters above the tarmac is thrilling. but the thrill is ruined once my attention is distracted by my lap times, and countless of washouts.
I do not remember when I discovered GP bikes and surely it has only been a few months yet still when doing laps after laps with no breakthrough it feels like an eternity. I love Gp-bikes, in my opinion, there is nothing like GP-bikes, it is unique and I love it for that fact, also it has bikes.... I will admit I have actually never touched a motorbike before, and I do dream of one day getting my hands on one.  the last thing I want to happen is my passion for motorbikes to be completely ruined just because of some random Sim is a little difficult to pull off. It is a challenge, and I love it because of that fact, pretty simple yet very definitive.

makes sense??

KG_03

Hi, well I had similar problem as you at the start of playing GP Bikes. I come from Milestone games and that games required different style of racing. Id say very unreal one. Well first of all I understand your frustration as I felt the same at the start. I started to look for a game bugs and suspension set up trying to find where the problem is but I was just the one who complained about it..and than boom! The problem was in controller set up (game pad) and direct steering slider. So let us know what controller you are using and try to mix with smoothing out the axis and direct steering thing.

Second thing is riding techniques. If you have never been riding a motorcycle it might be a problem but must not. One of he things that is most important is looking into corner because where you look there you ride. Do not focus on other players on the track try to see them with "the corner of your eyes" but to not look directly on them. Its so called target fixation becuse even if you dont want to when focusing on an obstacle your brain will direct you there. Same thing with corners and perfect line. Set in game settings looking depending on the bike lean or looking into apex so the game rider will look into sides when turning.

When you aproach the corner look at its entrance, when near to it look at the apex, when aproching to apex look at the corner exit. Racing technique is mainly a 0-1. Accelerate and brake. Moments when the engine is idle with no throttle should be minimised if you want o be fast. So here comes something like trail braking. Real life riders start to brake hard and slowly release the brake the more the bike is leaned and release it when they approach to corner or feel the front will loose. Then they accelerate. Keep in mind that motorcycles are not like cars and the more the bike is leaning the less grip and traction it has. So in full leans use brake and throttle very gently. The more the bike is upright the harder you can use it.

Learn the braking points. Plates with distance, shadows etc give you a mark point when to start braking if you want to hit perfect line. There is no one good line, each is different but some are just faster. In most corners being fast on entry is no the best way to gain times. If you enter slowly you can start to turn with bigger radius and be faster on exit, so do not always try to cur corner with greatest speed.

Practice. In motorcycles many things are connected with muscle memory. Lap after lap you remember the position of your muscles - when to brake, how hard and when to lean.

I know the frustration can be big but everyone was new to this game and had similar problems. I personally play in onboard only and I know that I will never match 3rd person perspective players no matter how I try. But it doesn't mean that I shouldn't practice. After one month of playing I got used to the game physics and can do fast times without falling. When I start to push I start to make mistakes and fall. I also have received a help from other players who showed me how to ride. So keep your head up if you want we can ride some day to practice :-)

Become dust

Quote from: KG13 on October 22, 2017, 11:20:50 AM
Hi, well I had similar problem as you at the start of playing GP Bikes. I come from Milestone games and that games required different style of racing. Id say very unreal one. Well first of all I understand your frustration as I felt the same at the start. I started to look for a game bugs and suspension set up trying to find where the problem is but I was just the one who complained about it..and than boom! The problem was in controller set up (game pad) and direct steering slider. So let us know what controller you are using and try to mix with smoothing out the axis and direct steering thing.

Second thing is riding techniques. If you have never been riding a motorcycle it might be a problem but must not. One of he things that is most important is looking into corner because where you look there you ride. Do not focus on other players on the track try to see them with "the corner of your eyes" but to not look directly on them. Its so called target fixation becuse even if you dont want to when focusing on an obstacle your brain will direct you there. Same thing with corners and perfect line. Set in game settings looking depending on the bike lean or looking into apex so the game rider will look into sides when turning.

When you aproach the corner look at its entrance, when near to it look at the apex, when aproching to apex look at the corner exit. Racing technique is mainly a 0-1. Accelerate and brake. Moments when the engine is idle with no throttle should be minimised if you want o be fast. So here comes something like trail braking. Real life riders start to brake hard and slowly release the brake the more the bike is leaned and release it when they approach to corner or feel the front will loose. Then they accelerate. Keep in mind that motorcycles are not like cars and the more the bike is leaning the less grip and traction it has. So in full leans use brake and throttle very gently. The more the bike is upright the harder you can use it.

Learn the braking points. Plates with distance, shadows etc give you a mark point when to start braking if you want to hit perfect line. There is no one good line, each is different but some are just faster. In most corners being fast on entry is no the best way to gain times. If you enter slowly you can start to turn with bigger radius and be faster on exit, so do not always try to cur corner with greatest speed.

Practice. In motorcycles many things are connected with muscle memory. Lap after lap you remember the position of your muscles - when to brake, how hard and when to lean.

I know the frustration can be big but everyone was new to this game and had similar problems. I personally play in onboard only and I know that I will never match 3rd person perspective players no matter how I try. But it doesn't mean that I shouldn't practice. After one month of playing I got used to the game physics and can do fast times without falling. When I start to push I start to make mistakes and fall. I also have received a help from other players who showed me how to ride. So keep your head up if you want we can ride some day to practice :-)

Alright thanks! Controller whise im using a Xbox 1 Controller, and my settings are as follows: direct lean angle is 30% anything below is too slow, i got no such thing as smoothing settings as i feel there can be some...delay in my actions, i feel like i wish not to rely on the smoothing settings and pick up the game from there, i actually got a head tracker which is a lot of fun to use :D allowing me to you know, look around and such. I find trailbraking as i quickly learned if i brake just a it too much my turning radius is greatly increased so i try to avoid trailbreaking since i am in no ability to execute a propper trailbreake, its like if i hit the front breaks the bikes lean angle is diminished and i end up on the grass. I do believe the theory behind trailbreaking is to increase the force on front tires to increase grip, thus a better turning ability just doesen't feel that way in GP-Bikes, i would love to see a demonstration ingame if possible :)

KG_03

Well trailbraking as you said is to improve grip in front tire (but too big load on it can exceed its grip limits) and to have as big speed in corner entry as possible and to allow braking later. And yes in real life it makes turning radius a bit bigger, but you can in limited way change it. So as you have described everything you are doing good. So its just a matter of practice I think..

Become dust

Quote from: KG13 on October 22, 2017, 02:56:14 PM
Well trailbraking as you said is to improve grip in front tire (but too big load on it can exceed its grip limits) and to have as big speed in corner entry as possible and to allow braking later. And yes in real life it makes turning radius a bit bigger, but you can in limited way change it. So as you have described everything you are doing good. So its just a matter of practice I think..

I guess... id wish i had all the time in the world but even i can't invest as much time as i wish i could.

Become dust

honestly, trail breaking is not useful, I'm starting to question if what I'm doing is even considered trail breaking...
it seems more like it just uses more of a corner to sacrifice turning zone to slow down even more to achieve a tighter turning radius but it seems like you can achieve that just fine if you break waaay before a turn comes, in complete honesty idk wtf to do, maybe im focusing on it too much? stress? idk just don't know

Warlock

Dont think about it, just brake. You will find yourself braking almost to the apex when fighting with someone else and trying to brake later and later not to allow him to get some gap. This doesnt mean you can brake too late. Too late is...too late , lol.  ;D

I use to brake earlier than others , but smoothly and simultaneously use engine brake , so the bike doesnt get upset due weight transfer, and hold it almost to the apex. Then release, and smoothly on the throttle for the apex and exit.