• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:25:06 PM

trail braking

Started by Become dust, October 22, 2017, 08:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Become dust

can anyone confirm trail braking is actually a viable strategy in GP-bikes? from my experience, it is not beneficial and contradicts what this game tries to simulate, at least the front brake is not viable the rear is just fine apparently is there a reason for it?
is trail braking only situational?
does certain bikes not allow trail braking?
how does one conclude how much trail braking is useful?

Become dust

currently watching a 101 video just to get a proper idea of what it is

BOBR6 84

yeah i think its essential fella, different for each bike but in general its brake as hard an smooth as possible initially and gradually release. there's different lines but if you can head for an apex on the brakes, release, turn and square off the corner and fire it out, you'll give yourself an easier time i reckon

Warlock

Yes, i always hold the front brakes and use engine brake while turning, and smoothly release and apply throttle before the apex. I think is something natural, dont even have to think about it.

KG_03

Next to trail braking I help myslef with real brake if I want to tighten the turn. It also helps a bit. Bu as to main topic, yes it helps even in real life.

teeds

Watch the bottom left of this video, you can see my front and rear brake inputs on the 3rd and 4th bars from the top. Going into turn 1 at about 19 secs in I hit the front brake hard (my front brake gain has been turned down so I can't get 100% pressure btw, it's at about 93%) then I bleed it off as I turn in then drop it as I hit full lean and use the rear brake to take off any more speed as this doesn't sit the bike up like the front brake does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB6b5Ab_yJk

Oh and most bikes turn way better with some throttle on, in high speed turns if you panic and keep the front brake on you'll often go straight to the scene of the crash  ;D

KG_03

Teeds how did you turn on that pit board? I had it some time ago and it just disapeared :-(
sorry for off topic.

teeds

Quote from: KG13 on October 23, 2017, 10:01:17 AM
Teeds how did you turn on that pit board? I had it some time ago and it just disapeared :-(
sorry for off topic.

It's one of the displays in the Maxhud plugin.

KG_03

ah great! I will have to look for it. The pit boards in game have too little contrast to see whats on them.

teeds

Ahh hang on sorry the pit board is the stock GPBikes one, don't think it's changed?

KG_03

Yes it was a stock option. After installing the MaxHUD it just disappeared. And not sure what I have done wrong.

Become dust

Allright thanks everyone. But i will need some practical demonstration i think, although ill do an effort to make it effective since you can confirm its possible

Vini

brake as deep into the corner as you can, then apply (full) throttle as early as possible without missing the apex (running wide).

lbracen8x

I believe that I trail brake but I know it can be an illusion and in reality you may not be trail braking. Anyway, when I was first going I was getting killed in the brakes, especially while turning in. I started holding my lean backwards longer and you start to feel you can brake harder and have more stability while turning in. I have manual body positioning and it allows you to lean the bike while being back on the seat and staying inline with the bike, where as with auto rider positioning as soon as you begin turning the rider starts to lean towards the turn.

connorhall70

i used trail braking a lot on the gp125 to get the record round Victoria, i believe it is essential on that bike anyway, since you can lean too far off, and it helps with stabilisation on corner entrance, and in a way it limits the lean angle lol, its personal preference, depends what line you take.
GanjaGod