• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:56:09 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Is this the limit....or is there a solution?

Started by PeterV, October 24, 2017, 08:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterV

Piboso is this the limit, did we reach the end of what is possible with GPB at the moment?

Nordschleife - AC conversion - help please

PiBoSo

The reports are puzzling.
While it is somehow understandable that GPB, loading a very long and detailed track, can take over 1.5GB of RAM, it doesn't make much sense that connecting to a server the memory usage ramps up to almost 4GB.
This issue sure must be investigated.
The community is already over the limit, though, as the LAA hack is needed for several modded circuits. Are other games / sims able to load those longer tracks even with a 32 bits executable, or do they require a 64 bits one?
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

PeterV

matty0l215

Take Asseto Corsa for example. It can easily load a track the size of the TT (Much Larger than Nordschleife) and it is a 64 Bit program or a game like Rfactor 2 which is a 64 bit game engine.

The use of the LAA hack shouldn't be a permenant fix but for now it works.

Or maybe the usage of memory could be looked at (As in, why is it using over 4gb or ram like you say). Only you know the engine well enough :)
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

h106frp

To summarize what Peter and I have tested;

Standalone, with a single bike model, the track reports 1.7GB for core.exe process, GPB is around 250kb so the track uses 1.5GB, some memory usage spikes during load (I assume this is texture decompression) but stays below 2GB

When launching a server with a 'set' of bikes memory usage exceeds 3.7 (approx) GB during peak before crashing (hit the memory limit so crashes out), reducing the number of bikes on the server and the track will load.

a) Why does the server need to load the bike models and textures, I would have assumed it only needs the collision models if this is not reported from the clients
b) If it does need the models then memory usage appears exceessive

Most sims racers will be 64 bit and 8GB RAM is pretty much a standard requirement for win7 64bit and onwards, I guess 32 bit could work with any size model with some clever memory management

Thank you for looking at the problem.

PiBoSo

Quote from: matty0l215 on October 24, 2017, 08:47:18 PM
Take Asseto Corsa for example. It can easily load a track the size of the TT (Much Larger than Nordschleife) and it is a 64 Bit program or a game like Rfactor 2 which is a 64 bit game engine.

So they don't even have a 32 bits version of the executable?
Is Windows x64 a minimum requirement?
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

h106frp

For AC;
Apparently a 64 bit engine that can be forced into 32 bit support with a game option. Uses a 32 bit game loader to get around the problem of starting on a 32 bit system.

Giggled at the difference between minimum and recomended spec  ;D

matty0l215

I belive you can force 32bit but I havent tried it and 64 bit OS is not a requirement, no.

However they do recomend 6gb of RAM (2 minimum)

matty0l215

Quote from: h106frp on October 24, 2017, 09:17:28 PM

For AC;
Apparently a 64 bit engine that can be forced into 32 bit support with a game option. Uses a 32 bit game loader to get around the problem of starting on a 32 bit system.

Giggled at the difference between minimum and recomended spec  ;D

Beat me to it :P

h106frp

Curiously I just checked the spec for UE4, 64 bit only for the dev environment and reportedly poor(or crashing) performance for compiled 32 bit game versions; so I will hazard a guess at the specs for BSE when it arrives ;)