• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:33:21 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

POLL: Does GPBikes need a Ghost/Trainer rider feature?

Started by Hawk, November 11, 2017, 07:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does GPBikes need a Ghost/Trainer rider feature?

Yes.
No.
No opinion on this matter.

Hawk

This poll is not intended to try and influence Piboso in any way, but just to gain an insight into the GPBikes Communities opinion as a whole on this long running debate.....

Please vote everyone! Thank you!  ;)

doubledragoncc

YES..........................

It hel[s you beat yourself and improve OFFLINE

AND as online is not working it is needed lol

But seriously it is something many want and should be there

It is in MXB

But it seems GPB is the least important sim right now as for a long time!!!

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

TimboC137

Quote from: Hawk on November 11, 2017, 07:27:50 PM
History always shows that it's often those that speak loudest who are in the minority? ;D

looks like you're the loud mouth so far  ::) ;D

j/k. i'm interested to see how most ppl feel on the matter. personally, i don't see a downside to having ghosts.

matty0l215

Vocal Minorites quite often do not represent the voice of the majority, We've seen this a few times ;) :P

Anyway. As i have stated. I think it would be a welcome feature, Assuming it is easy to impliment. If it would require weeks of work, then maybe leave it for now.
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Hawk

Quote from: TimboC137 on November 11, 2017, 08:39:23 PM
Quote from: Hawk on November 11, 2017, 07:27:50 PM
History always shows that it's often those that speak loudest who are in the minority? ;D

looks like you're the loud mouth so far  ::) ;D

j/k. i'm interested to see how most ppl feel on the matter. personally, i don't see a downside to having ghosts.

Haha! ;D
Ever heard of the saying: "Don't count your chickens before they hatch"? Lol! ;D

But seriously.... There's a long way to go yet before everyone here has had the opportunity to post a vote, and to be frank, it really wouldn't surprise me at all if the current GPB Community majority want a ghost/trainer rider feature in GPBikes; if that's so then fair enough, but it certainly wouldn't change my opinion that those kind of features are for gamers and not serious simmers.  ;)

I totally agree with what guigui404 posted above, in that it's a total nonsense and, contrary to what's been said in it's defence, serves no real purpose at all as far as improving your ability as a rider in GPBikes, just the same as trying to follow a faster rider in the real world doesn't make you a better or faster rider either. :)

matty0l215

Quote from: Hawk on November 11, 2017, 09:13:06 PM
I totally agree with what guigui404 posted above, in that it's a total nonsense and, contrary to what's been said in it's defence, serves no real purpose at all as far as improving your ability as a rider in GPBikes, just the same as trying to follow a faster rider in the real world doesn't make you a better or faster rider either. :)

Following a ghost alone wont for sure make you a better rider. It will help a lot more than reading or watching a video, as you are chasing and watching the lines, where they are breaking, how quickly they slow down etc. but it need feedback to be truly helpful. One to One training is the best kind but we can't all be online at the same time :P

Hawk

Quote from: matty0l215 on November 11, 2017, 09:21:53 PM
Quote from: Hawk on November 11, 2017, 09:13:06 PM

Following a ghost alone wont for sure make you a better rider. It will help a lot more than reading or watching a video, as you are chasing and watching the lines, where they are breaking, how quickly they slow down etc. but it need feedback to be truly helpful. One to One training is the best kind but we can't all be online at the same time :P

Chasing and watching the lines and braking points of what? A previously balls'd-up lap from a ghost rider? Hehe! ;D

No.... There's no better training for yourself in GPBikes than just getting out there on a bike and just practice, practice and practice even more to hone your skills for riding a bike in GPBikes. Anyone worth his or her salt as a good rider will soon start to improve as a rider if they just practice their skills..... No amount of riding with a ghost rider will achieve that for you.
Also, there is no better way to learn and practice than jumping in at the deep end and entering online races so that you can ride with the best riders out there and, more importantly, learning how to ride in close proximity with other riders during a race without acting like a kamakazi pilot and knocking other riders off in the process..... We just don't need ghost riders at all, and in my opinion would probably do more harm to a riders skills than good through learning bad habits because you know your not going to harm anyone by hitting a ghost rider.... We see all these bad habits when watching riders in YouTube videos of Milestones MotoGP game; that should tell you all something surely! Lol! ;D

matty0l215

Not of your old laps silly.

Training laps can be share (if i remeber correctly) so faster riders can share their laps for slower players to play catch up without needing to be online at the same time.

I would agree, the best way to learn is jumping online and racing with others. Unfortunetly as we are all aware this is slightly impossible or the faster rider might not want to be teaching the slower riders, Just want to go out for a blat online. And as a slower rider myself I personally would preffer to have a fast refrence that I can work towards rather than spend hours asking other riders to show me online. Not everyone can/wants to ride online and with the little offline features there somthing like the ghost/trainer would be a big boost.

Again, I think this should only be implimented if it is easy to do so. ie- copy and past the code needed from MXB, any more time needed and it should be spent elsewhere. ;D

Hawk

Quote from: matty0l215 on November 11, 2017, 09:56:21 PM
Not of your old laps silly.

Training laps can be share (if i remeber correctly) so faster riders can share their laps for slower players to play catch up without needing to be online at the same time.

I would agree, the best way to learn is jumping online and racing with others. Unfortunetly as we are all aware this is slightly impossible or the faster rider might not want to be teaching the slower riders, Just want to go out for a blat online. And as a slower rider myself I personally would preffer to have a fast refrence that I can work towards rather than spend hours asking other riders to show me online. Not everyone can/wants to ride online and with the little offline features there somthing like the ghost/trainer would be a big boost.

Again, I think this should only be implimented if it is easy to do so. ie- copy and past the code needed from MXB, any more time needed and it should be spent elsewhere. ;D

So you think that trying to follow a faster ghost rider will make a slower rider a  better and faster rider? Sorry Matty, I beg to differ mate... I just can't see any useful reasoning behind a ghost rider at all except some sense that your riding against another rider, but your not actually doing that because you can't make a mistake and knock that ghost rider off his bike, therefore your practicing under false pretences and training bad habits into your riding style. In my mind you just cannot beat getting out there with other riders and learning your trade that way. Besides, if you cannot keep up with faster real riders then how are you going to follow a faster ghost rider and try and learn it's lines and braking points? He's going to leave you in his wake don't you think just the same as if you tried to follow a real good faster rider in GPBikes?
The only way to keep your ghost rider reliably close to you is to have a ghost of your own self from a previous lap or a ghost of someone else riding who is about the same pace as yourself, in which case surely it defeats the argument of having a ghost rider to improve your riding skills?

Sorry Matty.... I just think ghost riders are a gamers gimmick and should stay in games and not be implemented into serious sims. We'll just have to agree to disagree I'm afraid. Lol.  ;) ;D

janaucarre

hi,
There is no better way than...
No better than riding alone ever and ever to be better...

Seriously, how many recent game have you ever played wich not countain ghost ?
There is for many years now an option to disable or enable ghost, for those who want and those who don't want.
I have been playing GPBikes for years and the time i play alone is very very very much higher than he time with other people.
So a ghost for me is my best friend, even it is mine.

Even a ghost don't make you faster, it can make you feel less bored after years.

matty0l215

I think you may be missing my point.

For me The ghost is not making a rider better at riding againts other people but it could build them up to a level where they could be semi competative rather than wobbeling around and the back of the grid getting in faster riders way.

The idea is not to beat the ghost. Its to be able to follow it and use it like another rider you are learning from. If its behind you then you arnt learning anything from it ergo you wouldnt need it.

I would love to be able to follow say Meyers fastest lap around Falkenburg on ome of the m3 bikes but i wouldnt expect him to sit online for 3 hours watching me crash every lap trying to catch him and waiting for me half the time. Where as with the ghost i could just set it on repeat and go for leather.

;D

guigui404

Are we talking about how to become better or does GPB need a ghost ?

matty0l215

Weather GPB need the ghost. Me saying yes as it can be useful.

Hawk saying no because it's basically a gimick for arckade games. ;D ;)

HornetMaX

I'm not sure there's a real need for a debate.
PiBoSo seems to think a ghost would be un-simmy, but the ghost is there for MXB and KRP. Hard to argue against that.

If you're a "true simmer", then don't use the ghost. And also don't use ESC to go back to pits instantly, just ride back to the pits as in real life. Even offline :)
And don't do a few laps on suzuka and then instantly switch to silverstone ... you have a 20hrs flight in between in real life :)