Author Topic: State of the Union  (Read 798 times)

PiBoSo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
State of the Union
« on: December 13, 2017, 12:59:26 AM »
A few asked about the future of GPB.

The short term plan is to first of all release, later this week, a much overdue WRS update. Sadly, it will only integrate the latest features. No physics improvements, no multiplayer fixes, despite the offer of a collaboration to push WRS as an iRacing competitor for dirt ovals... It breaks my heart to see WRS always last in line. Everytime I work on it, I feel like even the few days it gets every year are stolen from the other projects :'(
After that, KRP will receive a minor update to try, at the best of my possibilities given the super-limited time, to prepare it for the Steam Winter Sale.
Then work will finally start to improve the bike physics, both on asphalt and dirt, and to fix a few multiplayer bugs. Unfortunately, the new GPB and MXB builds will likely be ready only after mid-January.

The long-term GPB plans are not well-defined. The goal is to try to earn and save money to invest in GPB, enough to create new and improved official content and somehow put together a "release" build. The whole plan relies on how well the other projects will sell. The first shot ( KRP ) didn't hit the target, so finger crossed for MXB.
The upcoming 6th of May will mark an important milestone in GPB history: ten years since Alpha1 release. Again, it's heartbreaking to not have the resources and time to make it justice and prepare something special  :(

One word for those who asked about a possible Dorna eSport collaboration: chillax. It's not gonna happen.
No one will ever put enough money to create a brand new software with all the tracks, bikes and liveries needed.
The only option for Dorna is to use MotoGP from Milestone, that already has everything needed, so that sponsors only have to pay for the organization of the competition.
But even assuming the unthinkable, such a massive project would be completely out of reach for a "team" of two persons: hiring extra artists, handling paperwork and contracts, traveling, meetings, ...

WRS addendum.
Despite the lack of time, the future of WRS is much clearer.
While working on the bike physics, later this month, the plan is to greatly improve the tyre simulation on dirt for the cars, too, and to completely rewrite the suspensions simulation.
Then, as soon as possible, rallycross will be correctly simulated, with heats and joker lap. Heats support will be useful for sprint cars, too.
A new car is ready, that will require a brand new racing mode.
It would be nice to integrate the monster truck, too.
WRS now has its own Steam AppID, hopefully it will be ready for the first "official" release soon after MXB.

Live long and prosper \\//_
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 04:25:48 PM by PiBoSo »
Obviously your ambition outweighs your talent

Phathry25

• View Profile
Re: State of the Union
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 02:55:06 AM »
Glad to see you are somewhat optimistic. Hopefully someday all your hard work will pay off. Until then you will always have peace of mind knowing you are doing what you love.

poumpouny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 06:33:30 AM »
Cool !
About content, why not coolaborate with some of our best modder (ex manu, IMT etc....) to do some "official" content that will be included directly like the marusama into gp bike core !

Stout Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 07:42:16 AM »
Thank you for the insights Piboso. Very sad to read your evaluation of WRS, but at the moment probably realistic. I still think it has loads of potential, it just needs some love. Glad to read that you haven't given up on GPB. I still think with different priorities you could achieve more, but I will always support your products because I absolutely salute your dedication to realism. I hope you do well.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 08:43:19 AM by Stout Johnson »
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

KG13

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 10:04:13 AM »
Thank you very much PiBoSo for explanation. I think that you already know that GP Bikes is very special for many people, and you have created a very very special thing without which the virtual motorcycle racing would be dead.

Everything needs time and I think that sooner or later people will move to GP Bikes...but I think that fixing/improving demo will help a lot. Currently many people I have talked to are complaining that demo is very hard to play and they will not pay for a thing they can not handle. Honestly if I stopped at the demo and did not see Sim UK review of GP Bikes I would never be here. The 125cc bike with no lean angle limit is very very hard to ride in enjoyable way. Also... some tips for begginers at the game website would help a lot. Not many have will and time to register at forums and ask for help step by step. I also think that not only in your but also in community interest is to make the game earn money so you had resourced for further development. Undortunately in case of WRS the competition is very big in car racing games so its hard to break through official licenced games :-(

Official release? I worry that this will make a conflict with current mods that are not official but they hold brands and bikes that might need official licence :-(
Personally I don't need a support from Dorna or official support, but yeah it would be nice to see all MotoGP, WSBK and BSB tracks in one place but it will probably cost lots of money. The current content is quite enough. Just some tracks could have more details and better graphics and of course some physics improvements. 

SwarleyRuiz

• View Profile
    • Channel of Youtube: SwarleyRuiz
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 10:36:48 AM »
Thank you, for the dedication in these wonderful games that we have so much fun.

TheFREAK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 11:18:43 AM »
I'm new to the community, and like KG13, it was SimUK that "opened my eyes" to GP Bikes and the HS system from Allan.

Although I'm a bit removed from the sim games (used to play a lot of Super Hang-On and then I guess the first real bike sim the "The Cycles International Grand Prix Racing" and the first F1 game the "Grand Prix Circuit"... sh!t I'm old as f#ck...  ;D) it looks like there are two realities, the car sim games and bike sim games. On the car side things seem well developed and the physics are becoming more and more real so I guess that breaking into this area will be very difficult. On the other hand, bike "sim" games look really shiny and cool but I believe the physics are still far away from the real deal.

Will GP Bikes be able to triumph in this area? It certainly seems so but to be honest I don't think it will ever be mainstream so PiBoSo will probably never be a millionaire... but maybe that's ok...  ;)

I believe with the help of this community, GP Bikes will have a great future for the "hardcore" bike sim fans and hopefully that will be enough for everyone, specially PiBoSo.

And although I'm new here I'm eager to help, so feel free to reach out to me.
TheFREAK

TimboC137

• If you can't find it, grind it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 12:01:22 PM »
It's good to get news directly from the horse's mouth.
@Piboso
Thanks for the update. And thanks for sticking to your principles for 10 years. You have earned the respect and loyalty of many. I think that might reflect in a kickstarter campaign. Could be worth a try. Even if you set a goal higher then you think is possible, you might get surprised by the people that would support you.

TheFREAK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 02:13:19 PM »
One thing that I wanted to bring up as well is (will probably get a bit of heat for this one), maybe the best of both worlds would be to have Dorna/Millestone working together with PiBoSo to get the proper bike physics into MotoGP.

Why?

Well MotoGP is probably the best selling bike "sim" game ever, they have the resources, the money the licenses, the shinny things, etc... What they don't have is the realism that GP Bikes have, which would be a tremendous addition to the MotoGP game. This would allow PiBoSo to have the resources and money he would need to develop what already exists in GP Bikes even further. And the "baby" born from this union would be awesome (I think...  ;D).

Business wise this would make sense and it would probably be more achievable than getting GP Bikes to be accepted by the mainstream gamers... But I'm just saying stuff as a newbie and there are a lot of other things to consider of course... Either way, Mr. P, don't stop doing what you are doing, being in your own projects or in someone else.
TheFREAK

poumpouny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 02:55:34 PM »
Piboso was as himself has said "a develloping slave" into a mainstream motorcycle game years ago, so i think the only condition he will accept to return working into a mainstream is that Milestone fire all the incompetent dev boss, give him a god level controll of the devellopement decision,  give him mountain of cash, and an armada of "new slave develloper"  ;D

To be more serious, i think he love hi's 4 baby, and don't want to be stressed by a mainstream way wich is dictated by a financial obligation.
Personnaly, the way piboso is developping the game now is ok for me, my fear is how long it will be viable "financialy" for himself .......

uberslug

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 03:21:26 PM »
As someone who has never used simulators / games prior to GP-Bikes I have nothing to add other than PiBoSo's work is well worth the cost of the software. I would be willing to pay significantly more per license [already paid for at least two licenses] or even consider a monthly subscription scheme.

PiBoSo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 04:27:35 PM »

Thanks everyone for the kind words.
Added some info about WRS to the first post.

PiBoSo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 04:42:18 PM »
It's good to get news directly from the horse's mouth.
@Piboso
Thanks for the update. And thanks for sticking to your principles for 10 years. You have earned the respect and loyalty of many. I think that might reflect in a kickstarter campaign. Could be worth a try. Even if you set a goal higher then you think is possible, you might get surprised by the people that would support you.

The main problem of crowdfunding is that organizing a campaign and handling the rewards is extremely time-consuming.

matty0l215

• CAWS Racing #61
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 04:56:59 PM »
Nice to hear how things are going (even if it isnt the best of news unfortunetly) and that there is a plan for the future for all projects.

h106frp

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 05:29:20 PM »
Any date for a Track Tools bug fix release?