• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:28:32 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Meltdown, Spectre, Windows ... SNAFU

Started by HornetMaX, January 10, 2018, 03:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedfr

January 10, 2018, 04:10:33 PM #1 Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 04:20:01 PM by speedfr
If i'd be a bad boy (which i am) i would say, it's another good way (reason ?) for Microsoft to push us to Windows 10... Cuz they gonna claim and do as Windows 7 and 8.1 goes slower but not Windows 10...

All updates blocked since last week and if i install some, it will be "by hands", not through the regular WU. And anyway, 7 or 8.1 are old enough to be mature system, only Windows 10 is a "Constant Beta in Progress" but, since i'm a good boy (  :o :o ) i love Microsoft for Windows 10, i'm an IT guy, and that Windows 10 gives me a lot of work but...at my clients places !

Seriously, before Meltdown or Spectre creates a problem on my own computers .... Reminds me of the year 2000 bug, what a fool stuff that was.
Missing Gp500 (Microprose)  Testing EDTracker Pro on YT   R7-3800X/32Go/RX6800/1440p/Full WC

HornetMaX

I got the updates fine on my Win 7 x64, but they depend on your hardware and your antivirus (some antivirus are not yet compatible with the fix).

Other OSs are impacted too as the problem is essentially hardware. The OSs can only put in place counter-measures/workarounds.
The fact win7/8 will be hit harder is actually due to improvements that Microsoft did in win10 ... can't really blame Microsoft for that.
Got a laptop with 10 at work and to be honest it's not that bad. Anyway, moving to 10 is bounded to become nearly mandatory sometime soon so better get going ...

Changing your CPU however is a bit more annoying, especially as there's no CPU that is totally safe as per today.

By the way, the way the vulnerability is exploited by malicious code is pure genius.
Hats down to the one(s) who found it. Not sure if black or white hats though, probably both :)

Hawk

All the more reason to stick with AMD I say. Lol! :P ;D

speedfr

Quote from: HornetMaX on January 10, 2018, 05:14:19 PM

By the way, the way the vulnerability is exploited by malicious code is pure genius.
Hats down to the one(s) who found it. Not sure if black or white hats though, probably both :)

Google team found it and spread the word recently ... but actually some gossip says that Intel knew it for the past 6 month and didn't said a word...

The thing is, Intel or AMD or ARM, its the same. And ALL the OSes are going to be "fixed".
Missing Gp500 (Microprose)  Testing EDTracker Pro on YT   R7-3800X/32Go/RX6800/1440p/Full WC

Napalm Nick

Sounds like a big load of cover for Donalds new spy bot to be launched under.

Heard to allegedly say something like "for a little donation cash you can have your personal data mining, if we can have a little something 'rolled out' too,  "

http://www.business-insider.com/Satya Nadella, DT and Putin - The Elders of Zion

You heard it here first, fellow conspirators.  :-X

"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk on January 10, 2018, 06:28:35 PM
All the more reason to stick with AMD I say. Lol! :P ;D
AMD is affected too.

Quote from: speedfr on January 10, 2018, 08:59:14 PM
Google team found it and spread the word recently ... but actually some gossip says that Intel knew it for the past 6 month and didn't said a word...
It's not gossip, this is how things work all the time.
Independent researchers (including Google's Project Zero) discover a vulnerability, they notify the relevant entities (hardware/software makers) and give them some time (1 to 6 months typically) to fix the issue before the vulnerability is exposed to the public. It's the only way to put the necessary pressure.

Intel (and AMD and ARM and everybody) knew, that's sure. Personally I find that the fact they rolled out coffee lake anyway is ethically questionable and a risk on their side: maybe there was no way to delay/roll back, but they should at least have informed. Now they are very exposed to legal actions (3 class actions already ongoing in the US I think). Cherry on top, Intel CEO selling all his shares (actually only all the ones he's allowed to sell, legally he must keep some of them to stay CEO) with perfect timing, i.e. right before the news became public ... 30-something $ millions worth ...