• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:15:32 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Dynamic vs NDS Tracks...

Started by uberslug, January 29, 2018, 05:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uberslug

As a host of online tracks the subject of this thread: http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=5649.new;topicseen#new  brings up a couple of questions.

1.) Do 'NDS' Tracks develop a Racing Groove? My understanding is they do not, however, I have yet to do any real research or testing yet.

2.) When using a 'Dynamic Surface' Track, which groove file gets updated? Client or Server or Both?

3.) Does having a discrepancy between groove files (client version does not match server version) create problems when connecting to an online track?
  3.a.) If there is a discrepancy, which file takes precedence, the Client's or the Server's?

The reason I ask is I hosted a race yesterday using the standard NC Mugello track, not the NDS version. I assume it has started to develop a racing groove (I have yet to see if a groove file was created or modified as it did not occur to me to look until I read the above posts this morning and I will not have access to the server until this evening).

If anyone can shed any light upon the above or point me to documentation I would greatly appreciate it.

Greg

j'ai lu sur le site que l'enregistrement du groove pouvais s'enregistré uniquement sur les pistes non nds.

I read on the site that the recording of the groove could be recorded only on the tracks not nds.

uberslug

Greg

NDS = N o D ynamic S urface
voila pourquoi il est impossible d'enregistrer le groove
that's why it's impossible to record groove

HornetMaX

Quote from: uberslug on January 29, 2018, 05:13:26 PM
As a host of online tracks the subject of this thread: http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=5649.new;topicseen#new  brings up a couple of questions.

1.) Do 'NDS' Tracks develop a Racing Groove? My understanding is they do not, however, I have yet to do any real research or testing yet.

2.) When using a 'Dynamic Surface' Track, which groove file gets updated? Client or Server or Both?

3.) Does having a discrepancy between groove files (client version does not match server version) create problems when connecting to an online track?
  3.a.) If there is a discrepancy, which file takes precedence, the Client's or the Server's?

The reason I ask is I hosted a race yesterday using the standard NC Mugello track, not the NDS version. I assume it has started to develop a racing groove (I have yet to see if a groove file was created or modified as it did not occur to me to look until I read the above posts this morning and I will not have access to the server until this evening).

If anyone can shed any light upon the above or point me to documentation I would greatly appreciate it.

1. No.

2. If you're offline, it's your local groove that gets updated, of course. If you're online then it's the server's one but as the server broadcasts it to all clients, you could say that both are updated (but locally you will not have a file with the groove from the server, it isn't stored on disk).

3. You can't have a discrepancy on groove files. Your local groove file is only used offline. Online you get the groove from the server.

uberslug

Quote from: HornetMaX on February 07, 2018, 01:52:16 PM

1. No.

2. If you're offline, it's your local groove that gets updated, of course. If you're online then it's the server's one but as the server broadcasts it to all clients, you could say that both are updated (but locally you will not have a file with the groove from the server, it isn't stored on disk).

3. You can't have a discrepancy on groove files. Your local groove file is only used offline. Online you get the groove from the server.

2 Part Deux.) Does the server 'save' the groove file or is it created and updated dynamically and then discarded when an event is over? If it is saved, where would one find it on the server? I poked around but it didn't bite me if it was there so it is either shy or it isn't saved where I looked.

PiBoSo

Quote from: uberslug on February 07, 2018, 03:24:44 PM
Quote from: HornetMaX on February 07, 2018, 01:52:16 PM

1. No.

2 Part Deux.) Does the server 'save' the groove file or is it created and updated dynamically and then discarded when an event is over? If it is saved, where would one find it on the server? I poked around but it didn't bite me if it was there so it is either shy or it isn't saved where I looked.

At the moment the track dynamic surface is reset after each event.
The plan is to add an option to set it as persistent.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

HornetMaX

Quote from: uberslug on February 07, 2018, 03:24:44 PM
Groove file creation is manually triggered as far as I can remember. Nothing is created/stored automagically.

The server in particular loads a groove file at startup (if present), then uses it updating it (in memory) as long as time goes by.
I think it saves some sort of "temporary" groove files in case of events with multiple sessions (e.g. quali in the morning race in the afternoon) so that if the 1st session takes place today but the subsequent tomorrow, the server keeps the groove between the two sessions.
When the event is over, the "temporary" groove file goes away.

Maybe other with experience in running server/races/events can confirm.

uberslug

2 Part Trois.) Can I create a groove file on my local machine and then copy it to the server to use as a 'base groove'?

Napalm Nick

If you run a Dynamic server you can take the time to view the extra files created by the server. You will see all kinds of lovely stuff such as marbles files and the ability to change grid positions - maybe because of penalties lol.
Yes groove files can be added from files you have created offline, maybe using the x10 multiplyer and a set of Qualifiers to get it nice and rubbery quickly.

I suggest playing with it you will learn a lot more, mucka  ;)
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

uberslug

Quote from: Napalm Nick on February 07, 2018, 06:34:52 PM
If you run a Dynamic server you can take the time to view the extra files created by the server. You will see all kinds of lovely stuff such as marbles files and the ability to change grid positions - maybe because of penalties lol.
Yes groove files can be added from files you have created offline, maybe using the x10 multiplyer and a set of Qualifiers to get it nice and rubbery quickly.

I suggest playing with it you will learn a lot more, mucka  ;)

Is there a setting for a 'Dynamic Server'?

Or...

Is it just a server with a dynamic surface track?

Napalm Nick

"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

uberslug

Napalm Nick

No problem I am very happy to see someone exploring the dedicated server possibilities, many of which still need exposing.

I had great dreams of the events that could be had once the game was stable enough to run Dynamic tracks. Maybe Beta 13 will be dynamic heaven. A few events on Dynamic tracks and we will soon know.

Good luck with your exploits!  ;)

uberslug

Since b13 was released we have been playing on Dynamic Tracks without any issues. So far NC Mugello and A1-Ring seem to work just fine. Will add more as time and testing allow.