• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:30:23 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Thrustmaster GPX issue!

Started by Luponius, January 03, 2018, 08:55:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luponius

I bought a Thrustmaster GPX a while back (few solid months ago) for GP Bikes - it worked really well - much better than the x360 pad, but since last week, when I hold down the throttle (Right trigger) I noticed that the in game throttle input twitches to half throttle and back to full throttle, in continuous succession.

From what I can tell it mostly happens when I have the throttle pinned, causing it to continuously twitch between half throttle, and full throttle.

I'm not sure what can be done, but it does seem like a hardware related issue, is there some way to directly check the inputs without relying on gp bikes?
Is there a driver for this thing, my search turned up nothing.

I might consider opening it up, I just hope it won't ruin it.

teeds

Sounds like that pot is probably duff, warranty?

Luponius

Bought it online, doubt I'm going to want to pay postage to send it back - might end up costing as much as the controller itself :(  Any chance I could buy the components and do a replacement or is it junk once you open it up and muck around with it?

uberslug

January 03, 2018, 10:30:42 AM #3 Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 10:32:17 AM by uberslug
I have one that would change its output as it was used [one squeeze would have full output and the next would have three quarters and the next would have seven eighths and the next would have five eighths and the next would have full, and so on, and so on, and so on]. I found contacting tech support to be a complete waste of time and it took nearly 45 days just to find out I had to upload a video of the issue and then they would determine whether they would cover it under warranty.

I opened it up and found that the right trigger pot was a bit loose in its 'cradle' [if I held pressure on it while actuating the trigger it worked 100 percent of the time, if I let up the pressure it went straight back to its old tricks]. Tried both hot gluing and then super gluing it in place to no avail. About a month ago I got really frustrated, broke the tip off of an old utility blade, and drove it into the gap to physically wedge the pot in place [I can take a picture if you want]. It hasn't so much as looked at me sideways ever since.

I prefer the GPX's increasing spring resistance of the triggers / thumb sticks when compared to the Xbox units I have tried which I why it went the 'win it or bin it' route.

Luponius

I'd welcome a pic of your end result Uberslug if it doesn't trouble you too much, I'm probably going to open it up and get into it.  Losing power on straights is a major disappointment and source of frustration currently :(

uberslug

Quote from: Luponius on January 03, 2018, 03:19:55 PM
I'd welcome a pic of your end result Uberslug if it doesn't trouble you too much, I'm probably going to open it up and get into it.  Losing power on straights is a major disappointment and source of frustration currently :(

I had a thread a few months ago where I was suddenly down 30+ kph at the end of the straights. Needless to say I had to work REALLY hard in the corners to post competitive lap times as everyone would simply walk away once the road straightened out. The most frustrating aspect was the fluctuation so I would have full power on some corner exits [which would lead to a high side] and partial power on other corner exits.

I will take a photo later today and post it for you.

uberslug

See image below...

If you open your GPX you can see if the pot is loose in its cradle by wiggling it. If the output is normal when holding the pot in place [use the Settings screen in GP-Bikes to monitor the output] and it is less than normal when you let go chances are wedging the pot in place will help. WARNING, his fix WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY!

Good luck.

HornetMaX

I also had issues with my 2 GPX pads (one normal, one ferrari, same stuff inside anyway).
My troubles were with the sticks: one axis started to behave randomly (i.e. hold it in a fixed position, output is moving randomly).
Pushing the stick down hard and moving it around with some force usually cured the issue, at least for the session.
Seems like the same issue: pot not firmly fixed to the board.

uberslug

Quote from: HornetMaX on January 04, 2018, 05:00:42 PM
I also had issues with my 2 GPX pads (one normal, one ferrari, same stuff inside anyway).
My troubles were with the sticks: one axis started to behave randomly (i.e. hold it in a fixed position, output is moving randomly).
Pushing the stick down hard and moving it around with some force usually cured the issue, at least for the session.
Seems like the same issue: pot not firmly fixed to the board.

Mine does this as well...

uberslug

Well, the Thrustmaster GPX has finally died and I have replaced it with a Scuf Infinity which I picked up 'new' on eBay for half price [I think I got lucky]. The quality difference is substantial [which one would expect given the MSRP difference between the two].

Perhaps this one will get me through until I have my handlebar AccuForce set up complete and operational...