• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

My personal valuation of GPBikes

Started by Olaf Lehmann, March 26, 2018, 03:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olaf Lehmann

March 26, 2018, 03:13:01 PM Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 03:17:16 PM by Olaf Lehmann
10 weeks after buying my licence I can say GPB works for me much better as I thought.  :)
In the last years I had a look at this forum here from time to time. That sounded to me like problems, problems and more problems: core.exe crashes every times, joining problems, massive jump start bugs, and so on.
Now, after some test races and four official races I'm pleasantly surprised.  :)
No technical problems for me in all races (only yesterday at Bugatti I had a freezes in quali and in a test practice, but I think it's a track problem).
So all in all I think principially GPB is ridable and stable.
I don't need longer tracks (that's too vigorous for me - I'm 52  ;) ) and the graphics are good enough for me.

The things that GPB impoved most at the moment are for me:
1. Because we see in Moto2 championchip all in all a relative arcadic, chaotic driving style there should be more consequences in case of crashes: The rider have to run to the bike and/or the bike gets a small damage determinated by crashes/collissions and/or a decreation of driver healthy or something else.
2. During online racing I see only minimal warping of the other drivers  :) (except Alex Nogueira, but I think it's normal because he has a ping more than 200 - it's no accusation to you, Alex  :) ).
But in replays all other drivers warped quite bad. To get a really possibility to punish antisocial driving style like returning to track without considering traffic a better replay quality would be desirable.

Apart from that GPB is - at the moment ;) - already fine for me - with only some very small issues like unvisible leather paintings.

BR Olaf

P.S.: Selfmade I have heard that some people have core.exe problems, so that should be number 0 ;) in priority list (because in this thread I write my personal valuation only this one sentence about this here).

Tommaso Levato

March 26, 2018, 07:33:27 PM #1 Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 07:43:21 PM by Tommaso Levato
I haven't taken part in a race recently, so I'm not going to comment the stability issues (i.e., core.exe and things like that) under heavy load. However, I think your comments on things that can be improved are spot on (and BTW, I love the "Crash and you're out" idea suggested by Hawk, I'd really like to see that in the future).

Blackheart

March 26, 2018, 08:05:52 PM #2 Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 08:17:06 PM by Blackheart
Quote from: Tommaso Levato on March 26, 2018, 07:33:27 PM
I haven't taken part in a race recently, so I'm not going to comment the stability issues (i.e., core.exe and things like that) under heavy load. However, I think your comments on things that can be improved are spot on (and BTW, I love the "Crash and you're out" idea suggested by Hawk, I'd really like to see that in the future).

What? It is the worst idea ever...

Watch this! Some info because the vid its in italian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBiSM39fTFk

Category: CIV Superbike
Track: Mugello
Rider: Michele Pirro

Michele Pirro lose the rear in the FIRST corner. There are just 12 laps in this race.

Lap 1/12

Now Pirro has +30 seconds from the last rider.

But after some laps other 5-6 are out.
The remains riders in 2:18... Pirro 2:14

Lap 8/12

Leader in 2:16... Pirro 2:12.801

Lap 9/12

Michele Pirro is 3th

Lap 10/12

Michele Pirro is 2th

Lap 11/12

Michele Pirro is 1st

;D

h106frp

As a server side option it would be fine as everyone competing would be aware it was extreme hardcore mode  :)

Tommaso Levato

Quote from: Blackheart on March 26, 2018, 08:05:52 PM

I stand by my opinion. While it is true that in real life a crash doesn't necessarily mean the end of the race, that's what you usually get when you go to the ground.

KG_03

the easy thing...just depend the crash on the initial bike speed and how fast it decelerates. If the bike crashes at 200 kph and stops to 0 withing one second - you are out. If the bike crashes at 60 kph and slows down to 0 within 2 seconds you can pick up the bike and continute the ride...
Anyway why we never ride in wet conditions?

matty0l215

Quote from: KG_03 on March 27, 2018, 08:04:39 AM
the easy thing...just depend the crash on the initial bike speed and how fast it decelerates. If the bike crashes at 200 kph and stops to 0 withing one second - you are out. If the bike crashes at 60 kph and slows down to 0 within 2 seconds you can pick up the bike and continute the ride...
Anyway why we never ride in wet conditions?

This +1

Also, racing in the wet is (well was) actually quite fun and challanging in GPB. Especially with a drying track ;D
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Hawk

Quote from: Tommaso Levato on March 26, 2018, 07:33:27 PM
Quote from: Tommaso Levato on March 26, 2018, 09:03:56 PM
Quote from: Blackheart on March 26, 2018, 08:05:52 PM

I stand by my opinion. While it is true that in real life a crash doesn't necessarily mean the end of the race, that's what you usually get when you go to the ground.

Thank you for your support on my suggestion Tommasso... Nice to see someone who understands where I'm coming from with that idea.  ;) 8)

While I can understand others distaste for such an idea as: "Crash and your out" scenario, I think it comes from the fact that riders like that prefer the arcade style of being able to get straight back on their bike and carry on without any consequences of their actions and still stand a chance of winning the race?

For me personally I'd rather replace the fear of killing myself(as in real life) with the still very real fear of one crash and your out(in the simulation) to make me realise that I cannot ride like an idiot and get away with it and still win the race......
I suspect that Blackheart is one of those, together with a good few others in the community, that likes to make mistakes and yet still get back up and stand a chance of winning the race? :P   To my mind that results from playing too many hours on Milestone MotoGP type "Games" throughout their life! Lol!  ;D
Just a little banter added in there guys so keep your hair on! No disrespect intended! Lol!  ;D 8)

But above all this, my suggestion was for the "one crash and your out" option being implemented as a server-side "option" only, so that it can be turned on and off depending on how realistic an event organiser wants their event to be, and also to greatly promote sensible riding styles and attitudes in any race events that riders compete in..... Sounds good to me!  ;D 8)

Having said all this, I do like the idea of bike damage on a crash and also time being spent on a rider animation to run back to the bike and pick it up before they carry on racing with a damaged bike.... But as I've said before: A lot of the scenarios being put forward will likely result in the riders involved rage quitting because they've lost too much time and don't stand a chance of winning the race.

Asked for many times before, but I'll ask again now: I would like to see the "Rag-Doll" physics being implemented for the rider.... That would add an extra element of fun and realism to the sim during race accidents.  ;D

But yeah, overall this: To replace real life fear you have to add something that will generate a similar fear in the simulation itself, and I think the "Crash and your out" optional scenario would do it nicely. :)

Wimp #97

March 28, 2018, 09:09:26 AM #8 Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 09:12:08 AM by Wimp #97
Does everyone forget that fact that in real life you have more control, feedback than in game? A mistake can more easily be avoided in real life than in gpbikes. Not to mention just crashes because of connection or some bugs, slick curbs, track edges... .

If we would implement the "1 crash and you're out" rule than nobody would be scoring points in championship races. Even if I ride carefull there is a 90% chance over a 20 lap race that i'll have that stupid crash where you clip the edge of a curb or maybe just a front tuck because you don't have any feedback and the amount of control that you have in real life.

I'm all for a penalisation system for crashes just not a drastic one as this one. I don't think it would have the desired effect.
Wimp #97

Champion Moto2 International Cup 2018

matty0l215

Yes but in real life you also dont have people going kamakazi into the first corner. Smahing into the barriere and then picking the bike up and going on with their race.

1 crash and you're out is a silly idea but a progressive damage would be better (just low siding the bike wont write it off but you cant keep doing it)

And as with most things in the simulation settings it should be able to be turned off like people are asking for
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Wimp #97

Quote from: matty0l215 on March 28, 2018, 09:15:17 AM
Yes but in real life you also dont have people going kamakazi into the first corner. Smahing into the barriere and then picking the bike up and going on with their race.

1 crash and you're out is a silly idea but a progressive damage would be better (just low siding the bike wont write it off but you cant keep doing it)

And as with most things in the simulation settings it should be able to be turned off like people are asking for

i completely agree with that statement, although just having a good penalisation in a structured championship will also improve the quality of riding in most races. I feel like the crashing thing is also going to penalise the people who get unlucky with a bug or connection or something, whereas a good organised penalisation system will not. And by good penalisation system I mean a team watching the replays and reviewing incidents.
Wimp #97

Blackheart

Quote from: Wimp #97 on March 28, 2018, 09:09:26 AM
Does everyone forget that fact that in real life you have more control, feedback than in game? A mistake can more easily be avoided in real life than in gpbikes. Not to mention just crashes because of connection or some bugs, slick curbs, track edges... .

If we would implement the "1 crash and you're out" rule than nobody would be scoring points in championship races. Even if I ride carefull there is a 90% chance over a 20 lap race that i'll have that stupid crash where you clip the edge of a curb or maybe just a front tuck because you don't have any feedback and the amount of control that you have in real life.

This.

Tommaso Levato

March 28, 2018, 09:49:09 AM #12 Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 11:39:21 AM by Tommaso Levato
Quote from: Wimp #97 on March 28, 2018, 09:09:26 AM

I'm all for a penalisation system for crashes just not a drastic one as this one. I don't think it would have the desired effect.

I disagree. It is possible not to crash even in a long race, I've done it in almost all the official races I've taken part in. It is just a skill that needs to be developed (which, unfortunately, doesn't seem to be that relevant to most riders). Now, I realize that the "Crash and you're out" mode is extreme, and that we should find a middle ground. In this regard, the "Full crash" idea suggested by Piboso a couple of days ago seems fair to me.

But, just to reiterate, the idea that it's inevitable to go to the ground at least one in a race is questionable.

Wimp #97

Quote from: Tommaso Levato on March 28, 2018, 09:49:09 AM
I disagree. It is possible not to crash even in a long race, I've done it in almost all the ufficial races I've taken part in. It is just a skill that needs to be developed (which, unfortunately, doesn't seem to be that relevant to most riders). Now, I realize that the "Crash and you're out" mode is extreme, and that we should find a middle ground. In this regard, the "Full crash" idea suggested by Piboso a couple of days ago seems fair to me.

But, just to reiterate, the idea that it's inevitable to go to the ground at least one in a race is questionable.

I also have raced without crashing but it seems unlikely, especially on some other tracks than victoria or something, Try Johor...
There are many more things in gpbikes that make you crash than i real life. Therefore a crash is much more likely to happen in gpbikes than in real life.

To avoid crashing in this game 100% and never crash, I would have to go 5seconds slower than what I can do (with only risking 1 -2 crashes in a race) because of these extra "dangers" in gpbikes. I real life you drop like 1second a lap maximum compared to the absolute limit to avoid crashing.

This 1second going slower seems to also be the difference for me between the a quali lap and my race pace (which I average 1 or 2 crashes over 20 laps and dependant on the track).

I feel like making a comparison from gpbikes to real life is difficult. Doing a 20lap race on a difficult track at decent pace with racing and lapping traffic seems fairly impossible.
Wimp #97

Blackheart

0.5 sec lag in a corner e you are out...