• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:32:45 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

fbx2edf converter - car model not exported correctly

Started by Stout Johnson, January 28, 2018, 08:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stout Johnson

January 28, 2018, 08:07:35 PM Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 08:35:04 PM by Stout Johnson
I tried to convert some car models using the fbx2edf converter. However, I always end up with a buggy model in WRS. The model in general looks ok, but for some reason the right door and some other things are messed up. A friend of mine tried exporting the very same model to edf via the 3dsMax export that was provided with 3ds Max 2010. And then the model was all ok (see below, the upper picture is the model exported via fbx2edf, the other one directly from 3ds Max 2010). I use 3ds Max 2018 and I do not have access to 3ds Max 2010. So I depend on the fbx2edf converter to work  :-\ is there anything you can do?

Edit:
Here is another example. It shows that it is some kind of pattern of fbx2edf - it is always the right door and some other chassis part on the right.

-----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

PiBoSo

Which version of fbx2edf are you using? 32 or 64 bits?
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

Stout Johnson

Quote from: PiBoSo on January 28, 2018, 08:34:00 PM

I tried both. Both have the same result.

h106frp

Were the missing parts mirrored from the other side when you built the model as they might still be ''inside out''

Stout Johnson

Quote from: h106frp on January 28, 2018, 09:10:24 PM
Were the missing parts mirrored from the other side when you built the model as they might still be ''inside out''
Well, but in 3ds max the car looks ok. So I don't know if it might be "hidden" the other way around? I don't think so, because when my friend used my exported fbx file, it was all ok.

PiBoSo

Quote from: Stout Johnson on January 28, 2018, 08:39:53 PM
Quote from: PiBoSo on January 28, 2018, 08:34:00 PM

I tried both. Both have the same result.

Could you please upload the FBX file? Preferably as simple as possible, for example with the two doors only.

h106frp

January 28, 2018, 10:09:48 PM #6 Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 10:13:58 PM by h106frp
The wing mirror suggests this may be the problem though as you can 'sort' of see part of the shell. I can reproduce this in GPB if I mirror an object it will have a negative rotation and its normals are inverted. You have to apply the rotation and recalculate normals to correct.

Importing into 3DS may automatically correct the rotation as it does check/fix a lot of stuff. 

Web quote
It's not random. An object has a transformation matrix. When you mirror an object, the matrix gets flipped, but the polygons normals stay still.
To reset the matrix, you should apply a Reset Xform (under Utilities) When a flipped matrix is reseted, you'll see it will flip the faces. So you have to select them and do a "Flip" in your edit poly modfier. You could also use the "Normal" modifier to conform face normals.

Same thing happens when you attach an object with a flipped matrix to an objet with a reseted matrix, the previous object matrix is "reseted" and the faces of your object get flipped.

Stout Johnson

@h106frp: Thank you for your information! It sounds reasonable, it might have been auto-corrected on the 3dsMax export (which is a nice feat btw). I will check on this and report back as soon as I have time for further investigation (not before next weekend).

Hawk

There should be a setting on your 3D app to show if any normals are flipped/inverted.... In Maya, inverted normals show a black face compared to the normal shaded face which makes it obvious to the user. ;)

Stout Johnson

Quote from: PiBoSo on January 28, 2018, 10:07:56 PM
Could you please upload the FBX file? Preferably as simple as possible, for example with the two doors only.
I am on work leave, so I don't have access to the files until next weekend. Thanks to h106frp's and Hawk's hints, I will look into the matter first. If I cannot resolve the matter, I will send you a depleted file with only some parts of the model. Thanks for your support.

@H, Hawk: Thanks for your advice.

h106frp

But if the geometry matrix is inverted it looks OK in the 3D app as the normals will appear to face corrrectly, all very weird but mathematically correct . If you can enable backace culling it might display the issue (does in Blender anyway)

PiBoSo