Author Topic: Project Example Bike Tutorial  (Read 434 times)

matty0l215

• CAWS Racing #61
    • View Profile
Project Example Bike Tutorial
« on: June 17, 2018, 12:02:15 AM »
Introduction
As we have been getting the question "How do I make my own bike" over the years and the documentation on how to do this is poor at best. I am starting a little project so that people can get a basic idea of what is involved in making a bike for GP Bikes and possibly for MX Bikes (but that process is slightly different I believe and never tried it personally)

The most important thing to note- I AM NOT AN EXPERT AT THIS! I have only recently become comfortable with the process and have still got a lot to learn with the finer details. I highly encourage other modders to contribute to this tutorial where mistakes are made and I will modify accordingly. I am only doing this for the benefit of the community and hopefully open modding up to more people and such, expand the community.

A few things to note-
  • This will be a forever WIP as when GPB evolves, so will the process for getting stuff to work in game.
  • This will not be a Physics tutorial (find someone else to deal with that crap :P) purely take your model and get it in game.
  • Only scratch made models will be used in the example so don't start asking me how to rip your favorite model from any other game. We don't encourage that sort of practice here.

More to come later in the week. ;)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 09:52:03 AM by matty0l215 »

flodu66

• View Profile
Re: Project Example Bike Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 04:24:14 PM »
great i'll will maybe see my 600 cbr 98 on this game :D

matty0l215

• CAWS Racing #61
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 05:53:28 PM »
A very early list of whats going to be included. By no means finished or in order yet. Please make suggestions for further topics.

I am currently working on a very basic looking but comprehensive bike model including all animation objects (spring, foot and hand levers, dial gauges, LCD Dash, Pivot points etc) with the relevant export files.

• Where to start
  • Tools/programs needed
  • Example bike and tyre model files
  • How to use FBX2EDF
  • What files are used and what they do
  • Example Bike and tyre folders
  • Terminology
  • Special bike Animations (springs, levers, dial guages etc.)
  • Configuring .gfx, .cfg and .ini
  • LODs
  • Dash (already done by Manu, and his great tutorial will be included)
  • Tyre textures (different sidewall/tread texures)
  • Bike sounds configuration

matty0l215

• CAWS Racing #61
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 05:02:20 PM »
TOOLS

This is a basic list of the tools needed to get a bike from a model into GP Bikes. One of the most important thing when it comes to the software is getting familiar and comfortable with them, especially with the modeling and painting software.

Piboso Creation tools
  • FBX2EDF- Used to convert an exported Bike or Tyre model to the native .edf file
  • BikeED- Used to edit the geometry of the bike
  • EngnED- Used to edit the engine maps/characteristics
  • Sprgen- Used to create Dashboard LCD animations
  • Fontgen- Used to make Font strings used on the Dash
  • PaintED- Used to pack .pnt Files for bike textures

Modeling program
This is up to you, I use Autodesk's 3DS Max 2017 but any good software can be used, so long as it can export .fbx files.
Modeling seems very complicated and an impossible task at first for some but with time and practice it will get easier.

Examples-
Blender- Free and Recommended modeling software by Piboso. Can be a bit daunting to learn at first but is very capable once learned.
Autodesk 3DS Max*
Autodesk Maya*
ZBrush
Cinema 4D
*- .fbx was made by Autodesk and because of this their products are generally the best when it comes to exporting the files.

Painting program
Again, it is up to you which software you use but it is almost impossible to make a bike from scratch without using some sort of painting software. The main requirement is that the software can export .tga files.
Like the modeling, it seems daunting at first but will be easy by the time you are finished.

Examples-
Paint.net- Free
GIMP- Free
Adobe Photoshop
Corel Painter

Sound program
This will get expanded when I come to the sound tutorial...

Hornet Max tools
  • MaxSCL - A tool to edit .scl files (engine sounds)
  • MaxHUD plugin- Can be used to tune the bike as it gives a lot of very useful information
  • MaxTyre - A tool to visualize/edit the GPB tyre model

Other Handy tools
Not strictly needed but can make your life easier
Normal/Specular mapping tool- http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/
Open 3D Model viewer- http://www.open3mod.com/ (Very useful for troublshooting models if they don't convert properly)
GIMP .dds Plugin- https://code.google.com/archive/p/gimp-dds/