• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Piboso: When are the MOD-Tools going to get some serious updates and attention?

Started by Hawk, July 30, 2018, 12:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

Personally I'd just like to know when the mod-tools are going to get serious attention and updates Piboso?

You seem to be moving soley onto other projects after beta releases and yet the mod-tools get very little or no attention apart from updating to work with your latest betas..... In my opinion your mod-tools need serious attention to work well for modders and your projects and more importantly work well with industry standard workflows and formats.

Sorry for sounding frustrated about this Piboso but if you want pro-quality mod work(which would greatly help to enhance your sales figures moreover than what modding already does for you) then you have to give us the mod-tools to allow us to do that within established work-flow practices or modders will just get fed-up and leave as has been the majority cases over the years.

One massive plus would be to allow the FBX converter to export all the required maps, materials and animations that can be applied directly in 3D-apps..... The FBX format allows the export of all this information so, as far as I see it, the issue must be on your side of the projects alone?

Also, what happened to you implementing a progress bar on the FBX converter? That was asked for at least a couple of years ago now and with interest it seemed from yourself too.... Has that now gone by the wayside?

I'm sure other guys/groups that mod for GPBikes/WRS/MXBikes could also add to any additional enhancements/features/updates that are needed in any of the the mod-tools too that have been far too long over-looked in my opinion.

Again, sorry Piboso for sounding frustrated, but that's exactly how I feel right now; but I say it how I see it after years of requests and hopes failing for any real progress with the modding tools capabilities and versatilities.

connorhall70

GanjaGod

matty0l215

Even just some proper Documention and features available to use would help.
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

connorhall70

dont worry lads! BSE out soon! and they are working on cadwell park!!! Woooo cant wait lads! gonna be awesome!!! :D:D:D
GanjaGod

Hawk

Quote from: connorhall70 on July 31, 2018, 05:06:48 PM
dont worry lads! BSE out soon! and they are working on cadwell park!!! Woooo cant wait lads! gonna be awesome!!! :D:D:D

BSE doesn't sound like they are going to allow modding though? That puts a big question mark on it's potential useful longevity of interest no matter how good it may be, because they can only produce updates and content so long as the money from sales keeps coming in. So they are either planning on re-selling an updated version each year(bad idea), or planning on selling official add-on content together with updating the core programme for free as and when required to keep it up to date with latest capabilities... The latter would be their best option in my personal opinion, but we'll have to wait and see what their end-business model will be before making judgments on BSE.

But we definitely need the mod-tools for Piboso's projects sorting out together with a mod-file encryption tool too if his projects are going to attract the best modders out there, and pro-quality mods will attract a lot more sales for Piboso over and above what mods are already available(99% of which are currently ripped model work which isn't a good situation for attracting genuine modders in the future).

PS: There is a version of Cadwell Park for GPBikes too.  I just hope BSE create the "Classic" version of Cadwell Park because the modern version has been bastardized in the name of safety with that crappy chicane they put in.  :P

connorhall70

Quote from: Hawk on July 31, 2018, 06:21:51 PM

BSE doesn't sound like they are going to allow modding though? That puts a big question mark on it's potential useful longevity of interest no matter how good it may be, because they can only produce updates and content so long as the money from sales keeps coming in. So they are either planning on re-selling an updated version each year(bad idea), or planning on selling official add-on content together with updating the core programme for free as and when required to keep it up to date with latest capabilities... The latter would be their best option in my personal opinion, but we'll have to wait and see what their end-business model will be before making judgments on BSE.

But we definitely need the mod-tools for Piboso's projects sorting out together with a mod-file encryption tool too if his projects are going to attract the best modders out there, and pro-quality mods will attract a lot more sales for Piboso over and above what mods are already available(99% of which are currently ripped model work which isn't a good situation for attracting genuine modders in the future).

PS: There is a version of Cadwell Park for GPBikes too.  I just hope BSE create the "Classic" version of Cadwell Park because the modern version has been bastardized in the name of safety with that crappy chicane they put in.  :P

well there isnt the chicane in the gpbikes version either? i dont have that version if there is one...

And well its not really like the mods GpBikes community come out with are that great. 75% of them have really annoying issues. and theyre very difficult to create. plus piboso doesnt seem to want to give the mod tools any attention.
and nobody is gonna have an issue with dlc when its a hundred times better than the mods produced for gpbikes, and more consistent.
You could say the same about gpbikes. piboso cant get any income through community mods unless he charges for them somewhere. which will slow down updates, which is CLEARLY already happening and probably has been since the release... 10 years ago.
community mods do not keep racing games alive. newer and better games come out and thats just how it is, i think gpbikes's golden era is coming to an end with BSE. regardless of the way it looks etc, theres a dedicated TEAM to a single game. not just a one man army working on 4 games, with barely any income giving him incentive to spend more time working on the game.

i would happily pay for a monthly membership similar to iRacing for bse as long as updates are regular or as needed, and id do the same with gpbikes if we were guarenteed monthly updates and bug fixes. i want to see gpbikes become a really good game but i cannot see it happening this way. if the monthly sub was $10 euro gbp whatever i would pay it if it gave piboso more incentive to actually update the game and its tools. everything is so dated and feels like im playing a ps1 game or ps2 at best. even the ui looks old and that cant be THAT hard to make some changes to... i mean come on.
GanjaGod

Hawk

Quote from: connorhall70 on August 01, 2018, 01:31:07 AM
Quote from: Hawk on July 31, 2018, 06:21:51 PM

well there isnt the chicane in the gpbikes version either? i dont have that version if there is one...

And well its not really like the mods GpBikes community come out with are that great. 75% of them have really annoying issues. and theyre very difficult to create. plus piboso doesnt seem to want to give the mod tools any attention.
and nobody is gonna have an issue with dlc when its a hundred times better than the mods produced for gpbikes, and more consistent.
You could say the same about gpbikes. piboso cant get any income through community mods unless he charges for them somewhere. which will slow down updates, which is CLEARLY already happening and probably has been since the release... 10 years ago.
community mods do not keep racing games alive. newer and better games come out and thats just how it is, i think gpbikes's golden era is coming to an end with BSE. regardless of the way it looks etc, theres a dedicated TEAM to a single game. not just a one man army working on 4 games, with barely any income giving him incentive to spend more time working on the game.

i would happily pay for a monthly membership similar to iRacing for bse as long as updates are regular or as needed, and id do the same with gpbikes if we were guarenteed monthly updates and bug fixes. i want to see gpbikes become a really good game but i cannot see it happening this way. if the monthly sub was $10 euro gbp whatever i would pay it if it gave piboso more incentive to actually update the game and its tools. everything is so dated and feels like im playing a ps1 game or ps2 at best. even the ui looks old and that cant be THAT hard to make some changes to... i mean come on.

Indeed the Cadwell Park version in GPB is the Classic" version and it's the classic version I would like to see in BSE, but I was alluding to the fact that BSE will likely succumb to producing the latest modern version instead.... The modern version is a horrible choice in my opinion for such a great track like Cadwell Park used to be.... Those mother-duck safety obsessed do-gooders have a lot to answer for.

But as far as BSE is concerned, let's wait till it's released before we judge or make assumptions otherwise anything said is pure speculation at this stage.

All I will say about the mods for GPB is that they are as good as the mod-tools will allow; but the mod tools, because of their awkwardness to use and lack of versatility, do not promote or attract high-end work from modders in my opinion, hence many good modders over the years have come and had a look towards modding for GPBikes but soon have decide to leave it because of those reasons; the very few good modders who have stayed around producing as good a work as they can over the years have done so for their passion in GPBikes with the hope that the mod-tools would eventually get sorted out properly for their needs.
To attract more pro quality modders we also need a mod file encryption utility so that modding groups can keep control of their hard earned work and not have it ripped-off by all and sundry who don't feel the need to gain permissions to use their work for other projects. Most amature modders don't actually mind their work included in other projects so long as permissions are asked for and credits appropriately given for the original work and project, but these days some of the better modding groups do actually make money from their work and are under contracts or legal obligations to their fellow team members which means they cannot allow their work to be freely accessible to all, even if for some projects they provide their products for free. It's a changing world!

As for payed content: I believe Piboso has lost the opportunity to make money from add-on content and/or mod content simply because of the way he has designed modding capabilities in his projects as a free for all, which is all very gracious of him and I think I can understand where his initial thoughts came from to do it that way, but this is not a utopia, there are a lot of unethical people out there willing to do anything to stroke their ego's and have their 5 mins of fame within project communities, but a free for all modding capability means that Piboso's projects are well open to be abused with the great possibility of tarnishing Piboso's reputation when unethical modders use none-permissioned ripped content that can be freely used in his projects. This poor approach also doesn't tend to attract the pro-end modders, and let's make no mistakes here, if Piboso could attract the pro-end modders into his projects then they will actually do a lot of the work towards creating sales Piboso could only dream about and certainly save Piboso the expensive overheads and other costs involved in creating that pro-quality work himself as official content. But to be able to provide that kind of quality work they need the tools they ask for and not the tools the developer wants to give them; in other words the developers must listen to the needs of the modders when designing their modding tools and not just ignore them or they'll just walk away as has been seen here many times over the years.
Good mod-tools in my opinion reflect the work experience and attitude of the developer towards their customers, so it pays the developer to make sure they provide what the modders need and more importantly what they ask for in mod-tools.

PS: Personally I think unless iRacing changes it's business model it'll find itself struggling in the not so far future as other eSport aimed project packages come on the market that provide at least as good a quality service and content if not a lot better than iRacing at a much cheaper cost to customers. I've personally always thought that iRacing are rip-off merchants.