Author Topic: World Racing Series beta14 WIP  (Read 22126 times)

bison160

• View Profile
Re: World Racing Series beta14 WIP
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2018, 05:09:20 PM »
Sounds good PiBoSo, looking forward to it. I am making progress as well. Working with a chassis manufacturer to get their chassis info for phsyics and hopefully represent them graphically as well. 

PiBoSo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2018, 07:31:07 PM »
Work on WRS resumed after a brief pause to release a KRP update.

Changed the format used to display data in physics debug mode, to be more user-friendly.
Also, work is in progress to update the differential simulation to work with the new suspensions code.
Obviously your ambition outweighs your talent

PiBoSo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2018, 10:03:10 PM »

Work is progressing, but unfortunately the new code ( especially the differentials ) and the data tuning is more challenging than expected  :-[

Also, the latest Kart Racing Pro update took more time than planned, and required a couple quick patches  :(

The plan is still to release a new build as soon as possible. Sorry for the wait.

Phathry25

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2018, 11:45:34 PM »
After waiting two years for these fixes I'm not too worried about a few extra weeks.

bison160

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2018, 12:32:46 PM »
Thanks for the update, but I'm with Pathry here. I would prefer this being done right and take a little more time than to rush it and have it not work as intended.

PiBoSo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2018, 10:06:22 PM »

The new simulation code has been completed a couple days ago.

Unfortunately however, the handling of the cars is not correct, and it cannot be fixed with simple physics data tuning.
There surely is a problem somewhere. New debug code has to be added to understand if the issue is due to the new suspensions or the new differentials code.

Again, apologies for the wait  :-[

Phathry25

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2018, 05:49:28 AM »
Why does a chicken coop have two doors?

Because if it had four it would be a chicken sedan.

Keep your chin up, there's at least 3 of us eagerly awaiting the update when you get it right. :)

PiBoSo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2018, 10:55:56 PM »
Once again, sorry for the lack of updates  :-[

The plan was to develop WRS and MX Bikes side by side ( for MXB the focus is on multiplayer, so useful for WRS, too ).

However, as you can maybe tell if you follow the development log, lately I am stuck on adding support for spectators.
Sadly it's taking way more time than planned.

Hopefully the task is finally in the last stint, and then work to fix the new suspensions simulation will resume.
Unfortunately the cars are still too "twitchy" with the new code, and the problem doesn't seem to be solvable tweaking the physics data or the car setup.

bison160

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2018, 04:56:26 AM »
This is where I wish you would have taken a little more hands on with us approach. Just because a car you have in there is twitchy doesn't mean the code is wrong necessarily.  What if the suspension setup you have in there is just flawed and causing odd behavior. My other concern is you do all this work to implement it and it's not what we actually need?

This is just my concerns and I hope I'm completely wrong! Regardless, thanks for all the hard work. It will pay off!

PiBoSo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2018, 10:07:07 PM »
This is where I wish you would have taken a little more hands on with us approach.

What do you mean with "hands on"?

Hawk

• MOD Team: CAWS / GP-Team: Horizon GP #7
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2018, 07:40:17 AM »
This is where I wish you would have taken a little more hands on with us approach.

What do you mean with "hands on"?

Probably means by letting us gain an insight into the problems and issues you are experiencing in sorting things out? To bounce ideas and thoughts off of us to help solve problems maybe? :)

The only problem of doing that of course would be that the majority of peoples possible solutions would be totally useless, but the idea of a sort of think-tank is to get possible solutions and ideas out there to solve problems with the hope that maybe just one of those sparky ideas will be a gem of a solution?  ;)

Anyway, it will be interesting to hear what Bison's thoughts are on this.  :)

bison160

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2018, 01:19:13 PM »
Hawk, you pretty much covered it. A little more discussion about how this is being implemented to ensure the time you are putting in is productive as possible in getting to a finished product. I understand that we will get a chance to try it out once the beta 14 is released, and we can give our feedback then, so if changes need to be made, they still can be. Correct me if I am wrong but your goal in adding these features is so myself and others can create mods that will in turn generate more WRS sales for you. That being said, if what we need isn't there or working correctly = no mods which = no more sales which = a big ole waste of your time.

Either way, I'm excited to see the progress.

PiBoSo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2018, 09:39:46 PM »
Simply put, the suspensions simulation has been changed from a purely geometrical ( inverse kinematic ) to a multibody one.
The first kind of simulation is very robust and works great with double wishbone and MacPherson.
However, it's not so good for the beam axle, because it makes very difficult to simulate effects like the axle wrap.
The multibody simulation is more realistic ( because each suspension part has its own mass and inertia ), but less robust because the various joints linking the bodies together are not infinitely stiff like in the geometric approach.
This, maybe, is the reason why the cars are now rather twitchy. Or it could be a bug somewhere... Still unknown  :(

bison160

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2018, 03:43:57 AM »
Thanks for the info. Definitely excited to tinker with it and get a true adjustable 4 link suspension working like it should.

PiBoSo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2018, 11:42:23 PM »

Quick update on development.
The code to debug the new suspensions simulation has been completed.
Several bugs in the simulation have been found and fixed.

However, the cars are still not stable enough when cornering on power.
Next step will be to temporarily revert to the old suspensions code to make sure that the problem is not somewhere else, for example the tyres.

Sorry for the wait.
Switching to the new suspensions is proving much more challenging than expected.