• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Add a 'not wet' track surface option for wet weather mapping

Started by h106frp, August 21, 2018, 10:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

Could we have an option to declare that a TRK surface does not appear wet (but could stll show a puddle map maybe to allow a transition) when you select rain? It always looks odd that pit garages are fully wet when they are indoors.

Thank you

Steven

In the Victoria folder for example there is a file called victoria.roc. It declares a rectangle under which the surfaces stay try. It's visible in TrackEd as well.

h106frp

h106frp

Gave it a try and its a bit disappointing, when you enter the box it switches of all wet shading. Trying to do a track bridge section so it looks very odd with the track beyond the bridge going wet/dry/wet.

PiBoSo

Quote from: h106frp on August 27, 2018, 10:28:01 AM
Gave it a try and its a bit disappointing, when you enter the box it switches of all wet shading. Trying to do a track bridge section so it looks very odd with the track beyond the bridge going wet/dry/wet.

Is there a shader on the tarmac texture?
Are you using multi-mapping?
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

h106frp

Thanks for replying, the tarmac has a shader and its multi-mapped.

PiBoSo

Quote from: h106frp on August 27, 2018, 11:36:10 PM
Thanks for replying, the tarmac has a shader and its multi-mapped.

Does the shader include bump?
Is multimapping used for groove or rain puddles? Or both?
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

h106frp

The shader has bump mapping and specular on the base texture, tried with and without a shader on the detail multimap but the result is the same.

I have multimapped and shadered the tarmac (base tarmac+detail) and mapped rain puddles (nothing in RGB, puddles in alpha, no shader). The track is using dynamic surface for the groove.

I am just experimenting in what I can achieve with this track surface and the results are very nice so far, jst the issues when you go to wet conditions.

Also noticing a big frame rate hit with wet conditions, I have reduced the size of the puddle map down to 256 but this appears to make no difference to frame rate hit.

h106frp

2 images taken from the same location but turning head to change view (EdTracker) frame rate indicated. The confusing thing is that the view with less detail has half the frame rate of the view with a lot of object and distant view. I have noticed this strange behavior quite a lot (dry and wet) as if the Z culling is not functioning correctly, noticeably worse in the wet as the frame rate has generally dropped by 50% at these locations to start with.

Generally track detail level appears OK with >100fps in the dry even in detailed areas, just at certain view points the frame rate drops for no obvious reason.

The puddles are mapped to simulate wet areas where there would be a lot of rubber down (groove) and some normal puddles in the run-off areas, It would be nice to add standing water to the track though  ;)