• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:13:50 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Transparency and shadows - NOT resolved

Started by h106frp, September 23, 2018, 05:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

September 23, 2018, 05:13:56 PM Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 09:36:49 PM by h106frp
Is it possible to make a transparent texture receive shadows when compiling with shadow volumes to build the track and in-game when the bike shadow passes over them?

Thank you.

Just tried DECAL_ and it appears to work although I am pretty sure I tried it in the past without success, was this fixed in a recent beta?

Thanks

Grooveski

DECAL_'s not working right for me.   :(
(never has)

It's nearly working.  There's a hint of a shadow...
....but it's not as dark as the shadow on the bare track beside the decals.
It looks kinda like the track under the decal is receiving the shadow and a little bit of shadow is bleeding back out through the decal.

Which convertor are you using these days h? 
Was just wondering if I should try the MAX exporter.

h106frp

Hi Grooveski,
Results were with the MAX exporter, pretty sure I never got it working with fbx2edf

Grooveski

No joy with the MAX plugin either.   :(
Just the same - a kinda half-darkness shadow from the bike.

...and no shadow at all on the decal from terrain and buildings.
...which is the worst bit about the problem really.  Where the track itself is in shade the decals aren't and they stand out like they're luminous.

Grooveski

Tried the track in B14(just on the offchance) but it was the same as B13.

...meaning it looks like this:
(centrelines and road cracks are both on the DECAL layer)

Manu

November 12, 2018, 05:28:54 PM #5 Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 06:32:33 PM by Manu
Use SHAD prefix
It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.

Grooveski

Grooveski

November 19, 2018, 10:20:23 AM #7 Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 11:05:40 AM by Grooveski
Tried it with the layer named SHAD
Tried SHAD_CLINES i.e. using the prefix as an actual prefix - clines just being a random layer name.
Tried SHAD_DECAL
Tried SHAD_DECAL_CLINES
Tried TRKSKIDS

Tried all of the above through both FBX2EDF and the MAX exporter.
None of them are working for me. :(

Hawk

I think some of these things are hit and miss, in that sometimes they work when exported/converted and other times they don't, and considering the time it takes to do an export/convert it's a serious pain in the arse for modders when it screws something up like this cause you've then got to start the process all over again and hope that it will do the job..... That's serious time-wasting in the extreme.

It would help when Piboso finally does service the tools for Pib to implement information in a processing window to show the user exactly what the exporter/converter is doing at any particular time and if it was successful in each of it's operations at each stage, as well as a full export/conversion progress bar too.

This is just one of the reasons I got onto Piboso about sorting his tools out.... They seriously need a good servicing to make sure that everything works as it should reliably during the export/convert processes - both the FBX converter and the 3ds Max converter; but as I understand it, the 3dsmax exporter is more updated than the FBX converter right now? So the latest 3dsmax exporter is the one to use if you can I think?  ;)

Grooveski

November 19, 2018, 11:59:45 AM #9 Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 12:01:26 PM by Grooveski
Know what you mean about the conversion time adding to the frustration.  Trying to sort the flickering signs at Knockhill had me yelling at the computer.

Conversion time for Okutama is about 12 hours.   ;D
(2½ million polys, nearly 200 skins with shaders for each(was only about 4 hours before the shaders went on))

...so I added a shade source to the little test area that I made last week and have been trying things on it instead.  It already had some numbers painted on the tracks to remind me which skin was where..
...and only takes a couple of minutes to take from Lightwave to GPB.

But nothing.  Can't get the numbers to catch a shadow from either the shadow source or the bike.

h106frp

Whilst messing with a conversion, observed;

Using DECAL before compiling with shadows transparent layers receive bike shadows OK

The same model with compiled shadows, the transparent layer no longer recieve bike shadows or shadows cast from track objects.