Author Topic: PiBoSo and simracing youtubers  (Read 1846 times)

PiBoSo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
PiBoSo and simracing youtubers
« on: November 05, 2018, 09:19:39 PM »
As you may or may not know, lately a new racing simulator has been released ( as Early Access on Steam ): KartKraft.
I was expecting YouTube videos comparing it with KRP, that is its only proper competitor ( everything else is just scaled down cars ).

Five days after release, still nothing.
There are comparisons with Automobilista and rF2, though  :-\

This problem is part of a trend, though.
Even when KRP was released, most simracing youtubers completely ignored it. A few asked for a free key. They were given out. Only one preview has been published. That was it.

Maybe some of you know the simracing world better than I do and could enlighten me.
What could be the cause of being completely ignored? After all, KRP is the best kart sim on the market, and karting is a big part of real racing. It also has some neat features that few big budget sims can match.
Is it because the graphics is not good enough?
Is it because it's too expensive? Then why not ask for a key? And there is a free demo anyway.
Or do I have a bad reputation and I'm ostracized?  :(
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 09:22:22 PM by PiBoSo »
Obviously your ambition outweighs your talent

matty0l215

• CAWS Racing #61
    • View Profile
Re: PiBoSo and simracing youtubers
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 09:35:47 PM »
Not enough Online Presence I would say.

Look at the amount of online presence Kart Kraft has had Way Way before Release. Look at how much stuff BSE is putting online about their new game (even if it is just teaser pictures and the odd video)

Make some noise and people will listen. It's all about the Hype nowadays. You've got to approach reviews and ask them to review your product, not the other way around.

Just my 2 cents anyway.

KG_03

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 09:54:21 PM »
The world is fuckin weird... I play Dakar 18 a lot at this moment. The game is amazing...of course it has fucked up physics, but the terrain and navigation is amazing. People prefer to jerk off to beautiful graphics and large amount of cars instead to look at more realistic physics.

I think the problem is that if there is no big developer behind a game it is mainly ignored.

There are some YT channels like Team VVV that will give best notes to every game they review... and there is a SimUK channel that is very good with the reviews.
All I can say that social medias like FB, Instagram and YT are a community mover... so as Matty said I think that you need more activity in social medias... otherwise people will not know there is a game like this.
GP Bikes is a good example. If not some people and not SimUK review I wouldn't know this game is good...I look at graphics...its outdated...I look at demo ...its bugged and very very hard... so no interest...than I see a video on YT with Yamaha MotoGP bike and Mugello track...and am surprised that its different world comparing to what I have seen in demo.

Manu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 10:09:26 PM »
Not enough Online Presence I would say.

Look at the amount of online presence Kart Kraft has had Way Way before Release. Look at how much stuff BSE is putting online about their new game (even if it is just teaser pictures and the odd video)

Make some noise and people will listen. It's all about the Hype nowadays. You've got to approach reviews and ask them to review your product, not the other way around.

Just my 2 cents anyway.

+1

h106frp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 10:49:31 PM »
+1 for social media presence, most youngsters only gateway to the world is facebook  ::)

PiBoSo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 10:52:03 PM »
True: Kart Racing Pro is not advertised at all and has no media presence.
However, it has been on the market for almost 8 years now.
Everyone in the simracing community knows of its existence.
Why not make a video of it? It wouldn't take much effort and maybe it would be more interesting than the 100th car video.

Also maybe the youtubers who where not approached to receive a free key are angry with me because they feel entitled.
But what about those who instead decided to contact me, and got the free key? Why didn't they make anything of it?  :'(

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 02:39:36 PM by PiBoSo »

KG_03

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 10:54:20 PM »
I think that 90% of youtubers just want to use their name to have a game for free...

Phathry25

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 11:18:27 PM »
What has changed since that would need review?  What other 8 year old game is still being reviewed? As far as being included in comparisons my first guess is that not enough people have it to compare it, although I'm sure you have more info to know weather or not that is the case. I doubt many of these people even know it exists.  I mean nobody is including the karting mods from rFactor 1 are they? Perhaps you point us in the direction of said youtubers that you feel slighted by and we can launch a campaign to make them include KRP in their comparisons.  I agree it's still the best karting sim out there in terms of physics, unfortunately that alone isn't enough.  Something more needs to be offered, some sort of marketing budget, even if it's only your time spent spamming social media feeds and discord channels.

I hope you are able to gain some traction at some point, in my eyes your games are underrated and underappreciated.  I obviously love them...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 11:21:19 PM by Phathry25 »

matty0l215

• CAWS Racing #61
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 11:37:34 PM »
I think that 90% of youtubers just want to use their name to have a game for free...

This is very true.

Most of the "reviewers" are just lazy. It is difficult to judge without knowing what they are like. (You don't know how much stuff they have blagged for free and never given anythiny back)

@ Piboso- Unfortunately you are in a bit of an odd position with KRP. You don't appear to have a "big update" to push out and shout about soon but if you do, it may just come across as a bit desperate because of the Kart Kraft publicity currently going. And you can't exactly re-launch the game because nothing has changed yet. So although it is hard it may be worth keeping a lower profile for a bit until you have something new to push (maybe a graphics update??)

Or Maybe it is worth trying a bigger "media" push with MXB or even better with the new demo bike for GPB to drum up a bit of interest for those who tried the game ages ago on the demo.  These both are still "in beta" so are in the right place to shout about

With a few glamour shots/videos and some more activity your end (the comunity like hearing from you) and if you really want to push the boat out maybe a new official track, it may get people to give it a the demo second go.   If you do want it to go really well, Get people to test the new bike before releaseing it so that it is appealing to new riders while still maintaining the values of the game (simulation over arcade racing) then from there maybe contact a few SIM racing reviews and see if they would be interested in reviewing.

Napalm Nick

• #68 NICKED-IT RACING - STEAL THE FINISH LINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 12:58:57 AM »
It has to be marketing.

77 Steam reviews? in 18 months?

We all stumble our way here from a Simgramige (OED: frustrating pilgrimage to find a decent Sim) rather than being directed.

The problem with marketing is the huge cash outlay. But giving out keys for reviews is smart marketing and I think you should ask them where they are!

Faceplant, Twatter, Instantfan and a decent website are a no brainer. Even an old git like me had to join and produce that sh#t to promote my business.

Reading both games reviews - graphics - the kidz wants glitz. And to be fair to them so do we. How many people need to say its 1990 all over again.

Chase up those freebie key reviewers though. They do owe you!
“I can’t give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”

poumpouny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 07:59:05 AM »
First off all, you need to explain people why it can't be compared to the Rfactor 2 kart, cause as far as i know the Rfactor 2 Kart Stuff  has the Rfactor 2 tyre model, Chassis Deformation, Real road etc ... (all Rfactor 2 physic stuff).
Second i think the only way to promote game is or "Have good physics and good/average amount and quality of content " the Rfactor 2 way, either have good physics and good graphics. With KRP you have amazing physics (the best on the market) but none of the two. Of course Hardcore simracer, who already know KRP will stick on it but getting new people is hard with what you have .....

i think with one good Rfactor 2 VS KRP review video, it will gain at least most of the Rfactor 2 audiences, wich is already a big audience ......

lluisete

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 09:19:27 AM »
I worked some time ago as community manager (too much effort for the money) and know a bit how this world of marketing ... Here the main reasons for me:

1) Website looks awful and U DONT HAVE SOCIAL MEDIA (mainly Instagram and Facebook). Yo have to create events that don't cost to you money, for example make raffles of Keys and if someone wants to participate on it have to Like and Share the post of the Fb or Instagram with a attractive content on it (good image or good video).

2) U dont have any SEO (neither SEM) becuase ur web is obsolete and is not optimized for that, so its hard to find ur game if u look for game simulators and relationated therms. U should make a new web for every game and optimize it in terms of SEO. U have the same web of 2008  ??? I work now creating dropshipping ecommerces and can make sure that with good seo u can get a lot of visits.

2) The game is not trending, has been releashed a lot of years ago and IT'S DEAD. So, why lose time comparing a game dead? The Youtubers make videos searching what games are trending at the moment or wich ones have "big searches stadistics" or people playing it because they will get more visualizations. They compare it with Automobilista (for example) because that game is more famous and there is people that searching content about Automobilista will find the comparation, so they get more visits. Nobody search about KRP so if they compare it with KRP wont get that visualizations and is less profitable in terms of reward.

3) The reputation of the developer. 90% of people that joins this community gets bored and left it because of the lack of updates. U get some new players but there is players who left the game too so game never grow. I continue talking with people who helped A LOT THIS GAME years ago and they all left because got bored waiting updates or had big discrepancies with you. I created a Twitter in 2012 who got more than 300 followers in less one year and left this game because had discrepances with you, that twitter could continue growing and making new players. U have a good guy like Jorge Sprinter making very good content about ur game and GIVING YOU a lot of clients (If u visit servers at nights the 80% of people is spanish and half of them discovered the game thanks to Jorge) and he have to BUY THE KEYS to make raffles meanwhile other games BIGGER give keys to him for free, In 1 year when he get bored about that U will ask ¿Why nobody make content of my game?

4) U have to search the people, u cant be waiting on your deskopt waiting for people ask to make content of your game. In this world u have to be constantly talking with people who 2 parts will get a mutual benefit. For example, make a refferal campaing so influencers of sim gets a "discount code" of 10% and they get 5% of the sale (this will make u get sales with -15% of profit but will  make the game grow and people making good content to make the people buy it = more trending = more visits = game will we bigger and INTERESTING for other influencers). A good game is nothing without good marketing, U can see constantly how shit games are creating tons of sales just for the marketing involved.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 09:22:23 AM by lluisete »
Champion of Summer Cup 2012 and SRC125cc.
Subchampion of SRC500cc.
Admin of @gpbikes_fans
Personal instagram @lluiscabedo

PiBoSo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 10:28:19 AM »
Whoa, whoa! Too much information!
I know about the website, the lack of social media and all the other problems.

The question was much narrower: why aren't the popular simracing youtubers making videos of KRP when something important happens, like the release of KRP on Steam or the release of a competitor, just for a quick comparison? I get why there is no constant stream of new videos every day. I'd just like one once a year.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 06:53:36 PM by PiBoSo »

PiBoSo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2018, 10:29:38 AM »
3) The reputation of the developer. 90% of people that joins this community gets bored and left it because of the lack of updates. U get some new players but there is players who left the game too so game never grow. I continue talking with people who helped A LOT THIS GAME years ago and they all left because got bored waiting updates or had big discrepancies with you. I created a Twitter in 2012 who got more than 300 followers in less one year and left this game because had discrepances with you, that twitter could continue growing and making new players. U have a good guy like Jorge Sprinter making very good content about ur game and GIVING YOU a lot of clients (If u visit servers at nights the 80% of people is spanish and half of them discovered the game thanks to Jorge) and he have to BUY THE KEYS to make raffles meanwhile other games BIGGER give keys to him for free, In 1 year when he get bored about that U will ask ¿Why nobody make content of my game?

Discrepancies?  :-\
Sorry to hear that. What happened exactly?

Napalm Nick

• #68 NICKED-IT RACING - STEAL THE FINISH LINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 10:51:40 AM »
I would suggest making a list of reviewers and speak to them to build a relationship.
I don't think there is any particular reason there are no reviews other than you aren't pushing the product.
Of all things I hate, networking is top of the list. Electronic chat makes it less painful but you have to blow your own trumpet or no one else will.
“I can’t give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”