Author Topic: PiBoSo and simracing youtubers  (Read 9645 times)

Alby46

• View Profile
Re: PiBoSo and simracing youtubers
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2018, 08:46:02 AM »
unpleasant und loud sound
*german intensifies*
Still riding a 50cc, but enjoying it :)

Hawk

• MOD Team: CAWS / GP-Team: Horizon GP #7
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2018, 08:54:11 AM »
Thanks for the translation and explanation C21, really appreciate that mate.....  ;) 8)
I'm just surprised in this day and age of global internet and social network media communications that the Int-Language, especially in EU countries, isn't taught in schools as a vital second language to learn.
I can understand the older generations not having learned to speak the Int-Language but for the younger generations, if they really want to get on in life, it should be a vital part of their education, like it or not.  ;) 8)

@Stout: +1 Totally agree with what you said there mate.  ;)

PiBoSo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2018, 11:45:14 AM »
Thanks for the translation and explanation C21, really appreciate that mate.....  ;) 8)
I'm just surprised in this day and age of global internet and social network media communications that the Int-Language, especially in EU countries, isn't taught in schools as a vital second language to learn.
I can understand the older generations not having learned to speak the Int-Language but for the younger generations, if they really want to get on in life, it should be a vital part of their education, like it or not.  ;) 8)

There is a big difference between knowing a language and being fluent in it, though.

Also, in general, it is often better to find and do good in a niche than compete against the global market.
For example, GP Bikes is an hardcore PC sim and not an arcade mobile game  :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 11:59:46 AM by PiBoSo »
Obviously your ambition outweighs your talent

Hawk

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2018, 12:11:40 PM »

There is a big difference between knowing a language and being fluent in it, though.

Also, in general, it is often better to find and do good in a niche than compete against the global market.
Just like GP Bikes is an hardcore PC sim and not an arcade mobile game  :)

I would agree with you on both counts there Pib......
A niche market can be large enough for a small developer(even a one man developer) to earn good money. :)

GP500

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2018, 01:36:26 PM »
KRP is $10 too expensive for what it offers on a playing and content perspective. It is more advanced and better than others (rF2 is messed up, AMS is compromise, KartSim in rF2 is good but very specific) and can be advertised as a professional training "tool" even, but it is light on what a player can do offline since multiplayer is so empty - that is also a problem with AMS and even rF2. Most YouTubers aren't that great at driving and much less at providing feedback to the level of a quality tester, or just spotting certain details that a seasoned racer should.

The only proper ones I could think of would say it drives fine but they won't be able to say "it's like this in real life," and they'll also say it may be too niche. The simracing crowd talks a big game but doesn't live up to their words.

Hawk

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2018, 02:32:10 PM »
KRP is $10 too expensive for what it offers on a playing and content perspective. It is more advanced and better than others (rF2 is messed up, AMS is compromise, KartSim in rF2 is good but very specific) and can be advertised as a professional training "tool" even, but it is light on what a player can do offline since multiplayer is so empty - that is also a problem with AMS and even rF2. Most YouTubers aren't that great at driving and much less at providing feedback to the level of a quality tester, or just spotting certain details that a seasoned racer should.

The only proper ones I could think of would say it drives fine but they won't be able to say "it's like this in real life," and they'll also say it may be too niche. The simracing crowd talks a big game but doesn't live up to their words.

"rFactor 2 messed up"?  ??? :o :o

Where have you been holed up for the last 12 months. Lol..... Take another look; Studio 397 are and have been doing a fantastic job with rFactor 2 and it's community.  ;);D

tchemi

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2018, 06:08:48 PM »
This :
I don't like the Windows Metro interface at all.
The F1 UI is a huge waste of space.
The MotoGP interface is actually quite nice, not too dissimilar from the GP Bikes one.

Probably making the GP Bikes default interface 4:3 instead of 16:9 wasn't a forward-looking idea  :-[

And that :
@Piboso.... If you'd personally struggle to achieve the professional quality you wanted, then why not do a community competition to design the UI's for your projects.... There are some very talents graphics artists here.... some being their day jobs..... You'd just need to give them the basic guide-lines as to what you'd require: Formats, image sizes, etc.

Piboso, You may or may not like these interfaces but trust me. They have been studied, thought, designed to be the easier to use, to be comfortable for users and to be trendy and beautiful.
UX design and UI desgin is not a hobby, It's a real job. And it's not a matter of taste.

To make it short... Hawk idea is very good ! If you don't have the time nor the money, this is smart. Also, if you do this, don't adopt the most good looking interface, let the users vote !

Hawk

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2018, 08:26:51 PM »
This :
I don't like the Windows Metro interface at all.
The F1 UI is a huge waste of space.
The MotoGP interface is actually quite nice, not too dissimilar from the GP Bikes one.

Probably making the GP Bikes default interface 4:3 instead of 16:9 wasn't a forward-looking idea  :-[

And that :
@Piboso.... If you'd personally struggle to achieve the professional quality you wanted, then why not do a community competition to design the UI's for your projects.... There are some very talents graphics artists here.... some being their day jobs..... You'd just need to give them the basic guide-lines as to what you'd require: Formats, image sizes, etc.

Piboso, You may or may not like these interfaces but trust me. They have been studied, thought, designed to be the easier to use, to be comfortable for users and to be trendy and beautiful.
UX design and UI desgin is not a hobby, It's a real job. And it's not a matter of taste.

To make it short... Hawk idea is very good ! If you don't have the time nor the money, this is smart. Also, if you do this, don't adopt the most good looking interface, let the users vote !

+1  on all points you made there tchemi.... Well said mate. ;)

GP500

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2018, 03:17:42 AM »

Where have you been holed up for the last 12 months. Lol..... Take another look; Studio 397 are and have been doing a fantastic job with rFactor 2 and it's community.  ;);D

Not with the community, no, but that is another topic (they've been driving away modding to not conflict/challenge their paid DLC). What is messed up in that sentence, as should have been clear from it talking about karts and the games listed in parenthesis, is the karts (from their original KartCup release) in the game.

Hawk

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2018, 09:11:41 AM »

Not with the community, no, but that is another topic (they've been driving away modding to not conflict/challenge their paid DLC). What is messed up in that sentence, as should have been clear from it talking about karts and the games listed in parenthesis, is the karts (from their original KartCup release) in the game.

You say Studio 397 have been driving away modding? In what way?
They have openly stated that anyone who's interested in modding for rFactor2 payware DLC can contact them on that subject and they are very open to anyone or any group of modders who are capable of doing a good enough job...... I personally agree with that policy; I want to see high quality accurate content in rFactor2, don't you? That can only be achieved by those that are capable of doing so. Anyone else can still upload their mods to the steam workshop for download. Studio 397 can't be any fairer than that surely? :)

GP500

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2018, 10:39:57 AM »

They have openly stated that anyone who's interested in modding for rFactor2 payware DLC can contact them on that subject and they are very open to anyone or any group of modders who are capable of doing a good enough job...... I personally agree with that policy; I want to see high quality accurate content in rFactor2, don't you? That can only be achieved by those that are capable of doing so. Anyone else can still upload their mods to the steam workshop for download. Studio 397 can't be any fairer than that surely? :)

Only touching on one aspect of your post, they want a 50% share of the revenue (not profit, revenue) for the workshop.

Hawk

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2018, 12:46:49 PM »

Only touching on one aspect of your post, they want a 50% share of the revenue (not profit, revenue) for the workshop.

Just to understand what your stating.......... Who are "they" highlighted above in your post? Steam or Studio397?
I thought Steam had decided to discontinue the ability to pay for "Workshop" content on Steam? There was a massive objection to it a while back.... I was under the impression that Steam had pulled the facility because of those objections? I doubt very much that any Workshop Content will sell very well at all due to the majorities attitude that workshop content should be free to download and use, which I personally think is an insult to those that have the ability to make good content and deserve at least some benefit(money) for the good work some do. The problem is that there is also a lot of crap on the workshop too which doesn't help the situation.

The reason I ask for clarity is cause payware DLC's are not part of the Steam Workshop as far as I understand it?

If it's Steam asking for the 50%(which I suspect it is?) then you cannot blame Studio 397 for that, that is a matter between Steam and it's user-base surely? "Up the revolution!!!"  ;D ;D