• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:20:34 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

IoM Course, Road Racing, + LMP files in 3DS Max/Blender?

Started by Myst1cPrun3, November 19, 2018, 08:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myst1cPrun3

November 19, 2018, 08:14:47 PM Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 08:24:43 PM by Myst1cPrun3
I was reading the Isle of Man TT thread in the Track mods, and sort of got onto a train of thought about attempting to port over the tracks from the Jester Interactive games into GPB.
I have managed to extract the files from the ISO I downloaded, and think I have narrowed it down as to which files are for which tracks.

I have entered the 'LUMPS' folder, which is an acronym for LMP files, which are 3d CAD files from what I can see, and require opening using a 3d modeling software, the recommended one being 'ARCHICAD'. This seems to be the format for the models and tracks in the Jester Game.

I was wondering if there is an extension for 3ds Max or Blender to use those instead, as I have even less of an Idea about ARCHICAD.
Should this be possible surely it wouldn't be that difficult to add in some extra alterations to allow it to function in GPB?

The jester version, while it is old, lacks some of the tiny details that the modern game has, which should help with compatibility and FPS?

If someone can get this to open in either 3ds Max or blender it could open up the entire Jester games for both Bikes and tracks, completing a reborn nostalgia trip, and giving some relatively well done road race tracks into GPB.

Any advice or offers to look into it for me would be absolutely Lovely  :-*

Until then, I'll keep looking into it a little more.

Link to the original thread:

http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=379.0

matty0l215

For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

doNico

+1 for Road Racing. There are alot of great tracks out there. What a pity, i dont know how to work with 3ds or w/e.

~doN

Myst1cPrun3

I've only ever (Poorly) attempted blender, as I was unable to find a link to the 3ds 2010 that most people where use. If anyone has a download link for the 2010 3ds max that would also be useful.

h106frp

.lmp appears to originate from the Quake engine and is an archive of map assets.

Some info available from Valve;
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Lump_file_format

Myst1cPrun3

Yeah I came to that conclusion as well, however I've yet to find a way to convert it to a different formant or open it, which lead me to ARCHICAD

Grooveski

I got in to about the same place once.  A little investigatory dig into their Olivers Mount folder.   ;D

Was years ago and I deleted the folder but yeah, if memory serves - the .lmp files were archives.
Don't think I got into them but if you open one in a hex editor you can see the filnames inside. 
The image extensions were a relatively common PS2 format. 
...but the model extensions were a format I'd never seen before, and couldn't find anything about on the net.

I remember installing SoftImage to see what formats it supported(I think SI was Jester's main modeling program) but no joy.

Sorry it's just vague memories.  Good luck.   :)

Myst1cPrun3

November 19, 2018, 11:11:48 PM #8 Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 10:32:00 AM by Myst1cPrun3
Yeah, thought they'd have some sort of subfolders, as there's more than one helmet in the game, but only one file.
I googled jester interactive to try and find some background and some hints, but I instead found that their website has returned and massively modernized, wotha promise to high scoring Motorsport games in the future...
As for them being an archive, to get access to the iso I simply extracted it in 7zip, I doubt it'd be that simple but is there something like that for the LMP files?

Myst1cPrun3

November 19, 2018, 11:18:37 PM #9 Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 11:23:32 PM by Myst1cPrun3
UPDATE:

After installing the free version of ARCHICAD it has automatically changed the LMP file extension to ARCHIAD LAMP LIBRARY PART extensions.

I have no idea what to do from here, but it seems progress of some description, it at least gives me hope of opening the files to a degree. No promises tho...

Myst1cPrun3

November 20, 2018, 08:14:47 PM #10 Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 10:25:33 PM by Myst1cPrun3
Quote from: Myst1cPrun3 on November 19, 2018, 11:18:37 PM
UPDATE:

After installing the free version of ARCHICAD it has automatically changed the LMP file extension to ARCHIAD LAMP LIBRARY PART extensions.

I have no idea what to do from here, but it seems progress of some description, it at least gives me hope of opening the files to a degree. No promises tho...

***EDIT: Looks like I'll have to delve into quake modding, to decompile the files. Upside is that's a very popular topic so it seems there are several programs that can help and tutorials too.

Myst1cPrun3

Turns out the ArchiCAD LMP library files are an ArchiCAD 8 file type, and require that version to open it. This is kind of awkward considering the version I've got is 22... ArchiCAD support said I could add these to my external libraries using a feature in the program, however I couldn't tell if that was on 22 or 8. It doesn't seem to work on 22, (or I'm somehow doing it wrong which is equally likely), hence my quest to find a download for the v8 program.

There are options to convert older files to a more modern format, but the website isn't very clear, and often is just a circle of links, that end up where I started. If there are any suggestions on where to get the older version from, or alternative programs that would be very helpful. Until then I guess I'll keep looking.  :)

(Should I manage to get the files and convert them to a more modern type I will make them available for download as I really have no Idea what I'm doing when it comes to track conversions/creations in 3DS Max, so others may have better luck on that front)

Myst1cPrun3

Following some recent enthusiasm bursts again, i am looking back into this, so hopefully we can get a little further this time.

@Grooveski

Do you have a link for the soft-image softw?

It appears in 2008, at around the time of the games release, it was sold to AutoDesk, and became 3ds/maya in 2014.

I expect the game to have been developed on a version before this as a result...

A version which I can't for the life of me find.

For all the info on the internet its not got a lot of info

Hawk

Quote from: Myst1cPrun3 on February 03, 2020, 09:36:04 PMFollowing some recent enthusiasm bursts again, i am looking back into this, so hopefully we can get a little further this time.

@Grooveski

Do you have a link for the soft-image softw?

It appears in 2008, at around the time of the games release, it was sold to AutoDesk, and became 3ds/maya in 2014.

I expect the game to have been developed on a version before this as a result...

A version which I can't for the life of me find.

For all the info on the internet its not got a lot of info

Just to correct you: "Softimage" was it's own entity. It didn't become 3dsmax or Maya, they have been around for decades as the industry standard 3d modelling applications for the entertainment/games industry.

Softimage was often included in the "Entertainment Creation Suit" software packages that Autodesk used to provide, so if you do a search for that package you may just be lucky.... Good luck mate.  ;)

Grooveski

February 04, 2020, 11:20:56 AM #14 Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 10:15:39 PM by Grooveski
Had a search through my old GP500 hard drive in case I'd hung onto a copy but nothing...
Looks like I gave up on it as a lost cause and cleared it along with the lmp files.

I do know that the model files within the Jester archives weren't Softimage filetypes - either proprietary or on the I/O list.  My guess was that they were using an in-house I/O filter or one from a PS2 development suite.  I did look for the latter but couldn't find anything that matched the filetype.

Perhaps a long shot but this dude is obviously a genius when it comes to this sort of thing.  Might be worth sticking your lmp on mega or the likes and sending him an email with a link. 
http://aluigi.altervista.org/quickbms.htm