• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:55:10 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Help! Track conversion issues

Started by Myst1cPrun3, December 05, 2018, 10:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myst1cPrun3

Conversion Issues:

I am tyring to convert a track from rfactor to GPB, and after I do the export from 3dsimed and load it into blender/3ds max it removes all the textures completely, and 3ds max crashes upon loading the dae file, so i had to use the 3ds file just to get it to load.

Ive been attempting to follow this tutorial, however Idk if its a difference in software or what, but it doesnt seem to like anything I do.

Suggestions are always helpful.

h106frp

Did you export the textures?

Normally export the textures and OK to to the rename option

Then export the fbx which should not have them correctly linked.

Hawk

I'm not a 3dsMax fan or user(I use Maya), but I believe that in 3dsMax you have to sometimes tell it were to find the texture files on your system? Maybe someone here who actually uses 3dsMax could elaborate in more detail exactly how to do that in Max?

A better option would be to export from 3dsimed in FBX format(binary)? It will automatically create, associate and use the texture folder for the FBX file imported.  ;)

PS: Looks like h106frp beat me to it.... Thanks H!  ;) 8)

Myst1cPrun3

I have exported the textures, as per the tutorial, texture conversion to 32bit tga,, however I do get the impression I will have to tell it where to find them, as I've not done that. Will try moving files around and redoing it. See what happens

h106frp

I mean use the texture export from within simed

On the titlebar export/export textures

Myst1cPrun3

I did export the textures to a TGA format into a folder using the texture conversion button, however it still isn't showing, wondering if I need to change their formats?

h106frp

December 05, 2018, 11:32:35 PM #6 Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 11:42:26 PM by h106frp
Just nticed the viewport mode, not a 3ds user but I think you need to enable maps

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/3DSMax/files/GUID-39E321E5-962B-49C2-BD05-B1FA3F48BA26-htm.html

Scrap that, just tried it and the viewport mode should be OK

Myst1cPrun3

I think I may be trying to launch the wrong file, as to get to the stage I showed above I launched a 3ds file, but the tutorial launched a dae file which seems to crash my 3DS, (blender loads the file but with missing textures again). is this a 3ds glitch or have I missed something and completely exported everything wrong?

h106frp

It will be the export as blender will load fbx, 3ds and dae with materials OK.

Do you have a link to the base file you are trying to convert?

Myst1cPrun3

Grooveski

December 06, 2018, 02:07:22 AM #10 Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 03:00:23 AM by Grooveski
Procedure I use is:

Open in 3dsimed.
Tools>Texture Map Conversion - TGA - Aim it at a new folder.
Immediately after doing the texture conversion:
Export> Save as 3DS
Also:
File Menu>Plugin Export - OBJ

...because  the .3ds format has a poly limit.
...and 3dsimed won't mention when it hits it - it just writes out the first 65½ thousand polys then stops.
...so I use OBJ for bigger tracks.

Another option to get round the poly limit is to use Export> Save as 3DS Objects
...which writes you out individual files for all the objects.
Doing it that way is cool in Lightwave because it can batch load objects into individiual layers.   I presume MAX can do something similar.

In MAX the thing you want to set is:
Customise>Configure User Paths
Then click the External Files tab
...and add your project folder to the list.

Myst1cPrun3

I'll have a look into it later. That's a little different as to how I was doing it.

h106frp

Your file has material declaration but no link to any textures at all - pretty sure that when you exported the textures they were not renamed (in a materials sense) to match model objects.

Myst1cPrun3

December 06, 2018, 10:42:48 PM #13 Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 11:04:41 PM by Myst1cPrun3
Quote from: Grooveski on December 06, 2018, 02:07:22 AM
Procedure I use is:

Open in 3dsimed.
Tools>Texture Map Conversion - TGA - Aim it at a new folder.
Immediately after doing the texture conversion:
Export> Save as 3DS
Also:
File Menu>Plugin Export - OBJ

...because  the .3ds format has a poly limit.
...and 3dsimed won't mention when it hits it - it just writes out the first 65½ thousand polys then stops.
...so I use OBJ for bigger tracks.

Another option to get round the poly limit is to use Export> Save as 3DS Objects
...which writes you out individual files for all the objects.
Doing it that way is cool in Lightwave because it can batch load objects into individiual layers.   I presume MAX can do something similar.

In MAX the thing you want to set is:
Customise>Configure User Paths
Then click the External Files tab
...and add your project folder to the list.

Still not changing anything regardless of what I seem to do. its really grinding my gears now, as I'm fairly certain I'm Missing something simple and easy.  >:( >:( >:(

Myst1cPrun3

JW, would renaming the individual objects in 3DsimED allow an easier conversion or does it not matter for converting them to 3ds max?