• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:26:17 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

mini handlebars for gamepad

Started by maggikk22, February 23, 2019, 11:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maggikk22

This is a module to be mounted on a PS4 controller. It allows you to replace the joystick by mini handlebars which provide more realistic sensations and more accuracy due to larger range of movement.
It is made of Lego parts, except for the joystick pivot that is 3D printed.
A mini spring improves the return to center.
The length of the handlebars can be adjusted. After the first tests, it appears that shorter version work better.

See the 1st test on the following Youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvU7uVRCfY0&feature=youtu.be

matty0l215

For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

davidboda46

I love it dude! Always makes me happy when someone figures out a way to improve controllers with stuff lying around at home. Bloody brilliant mate!

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

HornetMaX

Clever ! And made with lego, gotta love this !!

I do see a fww issues though: you lose the vert axis on stick, I'm not sure you can still use the other stick either. Can you ?

What's the feeling on the steering ?

maggikk22

thank you for your comment!
You're right, I lose the vertical axis, which is not bad because I don't use it. Sometimes it was boring to have a joystick that goes up and down whereas you just need left and right.
You can still use the other joystick without any issue, just like all the other buttons.

I've just added a dozen of lego parts to have the module perfectly rigid and tightened to the gamepad.
The max rotation angle of the handlebars matches the lean angle of the bike: around 60°.
I think the sensations are really good. Accuracy is really improved.
With this module, you can set the direct steering to 100%.
You may want to set the linearity of the lean input to 105 or 110% to cancel the return to center effect of the joystick.

Vini

davidboda46

Bloody brilliant!

Cheers,

/David "Gonzo" Boda #46
"THE EDGE... THERE IS NO HONEST WAY TO EXPLAIN IT BECAUSE THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW WHERE IT IS ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE GONE OVER"

Myst1cPrun3

I'm interested to see if there are any advantages to this, and if its possible on an xbox controller, as it could be a nice little thing to use, and help bridge the gap to accessible handlebar mods.

maggikk22

Honestly, I did not expect it to be as functional as it is actually.
It is very stable and rigid, so deformation is extremely low even if you push hard.
The spring has the perfect tension: too strong would lead to frame deformation, too soft would lead to bad return to center.
I just make a calibration because the min value I get for left steering is around 5 instead of 0. (I get 255 as max value)
I could update the pivot design to fix this but I don't think it's worth it.
The range of movement is much bigger so accuracy is really improved.
The movement is also more "natural" than just left-right. And you're not disturbed by potential up-down movements of the original joystick.

Also, I set the direct steering to 100%, which is too sensitive and unplayable with a standard gamepad joystick.

Are you planning to build something for the Xbox gamepad? Let us know if so!

Myst1cPrun3

Someone made a similar thing for cars on the xbox controller, I should expect it to be somewhat similar, although this may work well considering it'd give more precision anyway. And I use direct lean 100 on the standard joystick... XD

maggikk22

Yeah mine was inspired on that!
But it misses a decent return to center system, the joystick is not strong enough to beat the friction of the 3D printed parts, even with the bearing.
You can see that on some videos, when the player releases both hands from the wheel.
(Also, I prefer my custom front panel...)

Congrats for setting direct steering to 100% with a standard joystick!
This means you would probably need to make the handlebars a little shorter, so you keep some reactivity.

Vini

Quote from: maggikk22 on March 12, 2019, 10:03:29 PMAlso, I set the direct steering to 100%, which is too sensitive and unplayable with a standard gamepad joystick.
Disagree on that one :D

Anyway, great little invention!