• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Question about the Virtual Rider?

Started by Hawk, February 05, 2014, 11:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

A simple question/s really: I'm just curious as to how much, if ever, the virtual rider has any input in controlling the bike? And if it is the rider that is controlling the bike, then are we actually controlling the bike or the rider? Or maybe a bit of both?

Could be quite a brain teaser this one. Hehe :)

Arvoss

Lol :P Since GP Bikes is a game I think that you're controlling an object called a bike and a rider. I think you're only controlling the wheels and that animation does the rest. ;) Not sure ;)

Hawk

February 05, 2014, 11:39:31 PM #2 Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 11:42:45 PM by Hawk_UK
This could be good!! Now you have me confused. Hehehe ;D ;D

PS: Arvoss, please delete that god awful weird picture. It gives me the Heebee Jeebee's. Lol  :P

Arvoss

Quote from: Hawk_UK on February 05, 2014, 11:39:31 PM

It's just crazy when you think that every game is made with lines of code mixed with 3D objects...Just amazing...

Hawk

Quote from: Arvoss on February 05, 2014, 11:42:32 PM

It's just crazy when you think that every game is made with lines of code mixed with 3D objects...Just amazing...

I've never thought about games in quite that way, but you made me laugh trying to visualise those words. LOL ;D

PiBoSo

Quote from: Hawk_UK on February 05, 2014, 11:07:08 PM
A simple question/s really: I'm just curious as to how much, if ever, the virtual rider has any input in controlling the bike? And if it is the rider that is controlling the bike, then are we actually controlling the bike or the rider? Or maybe a bit of both?

Unless you have direct steer enabled, http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=28.0 the "lean" control sets the target lean for the bike.
The target lean is scaled by the estimated max lean the bike can reach at that moment.
Then the virtual rider applies a torque to the steer to try to smoothly reach the target lean as quickly as possible.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

Arvoss

Quote from: Hawk_UK on February 05, 2014, 11:48:40 PM
Quote from: Arvoss on February 05, 2014, 11:42:32 PM

I've never thought about games in quite that way, but you made me laugh trying to visualise those words. LOL ;D

I started studying graphic design 1 year ago and I can tell you that now I have a lot of respect for programmers. Even the 'most stupid' game like snake for example becomes impressive. ;) One day someone decided to code a game...  :o The most frustrating/difficult part is fixing bugs...

Hawk

Quote from: PiBoSo on February 05, 2014, 11:51:13 PM

Unless you have direct steer enabled, http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=28.0 the "lean" control sets the target lean for the bike.
The target lean is scaled by the estimated max lean the bike can reach at that moment.
Then the virtual rider applies a torque to the steer to try to smoothly reach the target lean as quickly as possible.

Hi Piboso.

This is very interesting and I will try adding the direct lean script code to see how it changes the control when turning.
The reason I asked this question was because I get some very weird responses to my control inputs at times during turns, especially when required to make quick left to right turns as in a chicane. It struck me that it feels as if the virtual rider is trying to control the rate of turn and is getting confused during these quick changes of direction from left to right? The virtual rider looks like he's had a stroke and just picks the bike upright before falling straight over without me making any control inputs to make that happen. It's weird.

Thank you Piboso   ;)

C21

Quotehe reason I asked this question was because I get some very weird responses to my control inputs at times during turns, especially when required to make quick left to right turns as in a chicane. It struck me that it feels as if the virtual rider is trying to control the rate of turn and is getting confused during these quick changes of direction from left to right? The virtual rider looks like he's had a stroke and just picks the bike upright before falling straight over without me making any control inputs to make that happen. It's weird.
Noticed that also.
Happens on all bikes if you are in or near max lean and make a quick change from one to the other direction or if you want to get really fast back out of lean.
E.g. Riding down the straight on Victoria , bashing through the 1st right in full lean and then want to get it upright very fast the bike "freeze" (hard to explain, it´s better to view that in a replay or in a video) for a second and then fell down.
# Member of the CAWS Racing Team #

Hawk

Quote from: PiBoSo on February 05, 2014, 11:51:13 PM

Hi Piboso.
Tried the direct lean code. It works in the sense that it gives you direct lean capability, but unless you can somehow adjust the settings to allow for more control of the lean via your controller, I cannot see any use for it at all, as when I tried it, it was uncontrollable in the sense that it was near on impossible to get started from a stand still position(But I did just manage it. after much practice. Hehe), and when you do manage to get going the auto rider function is disabled so the rider doesn't shift position with knee out at corners, but most uncontrollable is that the lean rate of the bike doesn't correspond to the operation of your controller inputs even though I've calibrated my controller for movement inputs.

Is there a way to adjust the direct lean settings for more gradual control via the leaning inputs from my controller. I see the factors for the directsteer_maxtorque=30, and directsteer_maxtorque2=0.5 settings, but don't understand what each one does as far as the controller inputs are concerned(Sorry for being such a noob) :)

Has anyone else tried the direct steer code?

Warlock

Yes old forum had a big thread about direct steer, but dont remember the setttings sorry

HornetMaX

Quote from: C21 on February 06, 2014, 09:42:44 AM
Noticed that also.
Happens on all bikes if you are in or near max lean and make a quick change from one to the other direction or if you want to get really fast back out of lean.
E.g. Riding down the straight on Victoria , bashing through the 1st right in full lean and then want to get it upright very fast the bike "freeze" (hard to explain, it´s better to view that in a replay or in a video) for a second and then fell down.
I think this can be explained: when you are full lean right (1st corner on Victoria) and you wan to pick up the bike to go left, the rider turns the handlebar to the right: this will pick up the bike.
If your input is too abrupt, the rider will turn the handlebar to the right too much and/or too quickly, losing the front.

MaX.

Warlock

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on February 06, 2014, 02:23:31 PM
Quote from: C21 on February 06, 2014, 09:42:44 AM
Noticed that also.
I think this can be explained: when you are full lean right (1st corner on Victoria) and you wan to pick up the bike to go left, the rider turns the handlebar to the right: this will pick up the bike.
If your input is too abrupt, the rider will turn the handlebar to the right too much and/or too quickly, losing the front.

MaX.

Would setting the dead zone in the controller settings help stop this action? Or setting the controller to not be so linear?

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk_UK on February 06, 2014, 02:50:53 PM
Would setting the dead zone in the controller settings help stop this action? Or setting the controller to not be so linear?

No, nothing will help (Direct Lean ON helps, but I guess you already have it on).
You just have to be gentle with the stick when going from full lean left to right (and right to left too, no political preference here :) ).

MaX.